• This topic has 46 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Mudhugger still guard of choice?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So after getting a facefull of mud and grime this weekend I need to get a front guard. Not fussed about rear one as gnerally just get covered anyway!

Was looking at the Endurogaurds and Muckynutz front ones at about £8 but for £9 more the Mudhugger seems like a decent choice and seems to get a lot of decent reviews?

Any other budget options out there or Mudhuuger a decent one to opt for.

jam-bo

my mudhugger is getting a bit tired. will probably replace with the new RRP guard.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Just looking, looks very shiny!

CheesybeanZ

We’ve just swapped from mudhugger too the RRP pro , the rrp is much better .

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

RRP is significantly better than the mudhugger.

You can make it matt finished as well, just spray it with GT85 & wipe it down before you put it on.

jayx2a
    Free Member

What makes the RRP the better choice?

geex
    Free Member

Totally agree with comments on the RRP.

But not sure what he means about GT85 giving it a matt finish. I spray a little GT85 on my frame and wipe down everything with a rag (including the RRP guard) after each wash and mine’s not gone matt. Or not what I’d consider a matt finish to be anyway.

geex
    Free Member

What makes the RRP the better choice?

Everything

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s in their instructions – if you don’t like the shiny finish. Spray on the GT85, give it a good rub & it goes ‘less shiny’.

What makes it better than the Mudhugger? Shape, coverage, doesn’t move when mounted, basically everything about is better (including price).

chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t used any other “big” fenders, but these have been excellent for me…

https://www.rockguardz.com/mudguardz/rockguardz-mudguardz-pg450.html

Can ride without glasses in most conditions.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

yes.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Ok – will get an RRP Pro I think!

stcolin
    Free Member

I’ve just got a mudhugger. First ride this Sunday in a very wet Peak district ride. Much better than the long endura guard I had before. Seems a solid fit too, doesn’t move around. Will reserve full judgement until a few months. Don’t really care if it’s shiny or not. It’s a mountain bike!

legend
    Free Member

One piece of plastic held on with cable ties is much more secure than a very similar piece of plastic thats also held on with cable ties? Granted it definitely looks longer (if you get the big one) but otherwise is there really much in it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

That front RRP pro-max looks like a good option.

Is Mudhugger still the choice on the rear?

ajantom

The Zefal RM30 is a decent bit if kit. Good coverage, and pretty solid in use (though it didn’t play well with the Manitou on one of my bikes).

For the rear I’ve again been impressed by the Zefal Deflector RM29. Similar(ish) to the Mudhugger, but can be more easily swapped between bikes.

grarea
    Free Member

I was considering this very same ponderance. But I found one in Wilko for £4 the other day.

I tried to rattle it off today, but it held firm.

geex
    Free Member

Granted it definitely looks longer (if you get the big one) but otherwise is there really much in it?

Yes. Loads of subtle really well thoughtout improvements that all add up to mean it’s actaully a lot better in pretty much all situations.

Are you thiking of trying mountainbiking again?

legend
    Free Member

Go on, be a gent and furnish me with at least one improvement that’ll make me buy the RRP instead!

Only at the weekends

IvanMTB
    Free Member

the rrp is much better .

Apart of the fact it isn’t, as there is no fat bike option. In PRO version.

That writes it off for me.

Cheers!

I.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I was considering this very same ponderance. But I found one in Wilko for £4 the other day. I tried to rattle it off today, but it held firm.

The £1 mudguards I bought at the local Pound Shop seemed a bit flimsy but I figured for £1 they’d be ok if they lasted half the winter. 4 Years later they’re still going strong and I’ve fitted similar to a 4yo’s bike (cut to size with a stanley knife) and they’ve survived the kind of abuse only a 4yo can hand out.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Having trouble finding a pic online of the RRP rear   Does anyone have one please so can compare with the coverage etc of the Mudhugger?

Am currently using a Crud Raceguard on the hardtail.  It’s pretty good for pootling and keeps my hindquarters mosly dry, yet is seatpost-mounted so a temporary solution.  For some reason (before purchasing) I never thought about raising and lowering the seatpost once fitted.  Buy in haste, repent at leisure.

geex
    Free Member

If you have a mudhugger and are happy with it save your money for something else. But if you need a new guard buy the RRP instead of another mudhugger. It clears mud better. infact much better in that properly sticky mud that drags leaves and tree debris shit inbetween the fork brace and tyre and stops the wheel turning. You don’t really encounter that sort of mud in the Valley or any of the Derp spots around the central belt but it’s rife here and used to mean I couldn’t even use a mudguard for certain routes as the front wheel would clog every couple of revolutions and I’d want to rip the **** thing clean off. It protects fork seals better but that extra material makes the guard stay stiffer too. The extra front length means it stops forwards spray better and it covers a wider angle of spray to the rear… OOps… sorry. that’s more than one reason. But not quite all.

Best of all it doesn’t fit fatbikes! and makes PRO fatbikers angry

geex
    Free Member

RRP proguard rear is a short seatstay/yoke fitting guard for protecting the frame/BB/shock area. not your arse.

plenty pics of it n the RRP site, their FB or instagram

AlexSimon

I haven’t tried the RRP, but the Mudhugger FR is fantastic. It’s the only one I’ve tried that does what it’s supposed to.
    Completely eliminates anything flying into my face. With helitape on the fork, I haven’t found it to move at all. I’ve had it on 2.5 years now with no issues.

I once took it off in Summer (for Ard Rock), realised just what it was saving me from and immediately put it back on again!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Having trouble finding a pic online of the RRP rear   Does anyone have one please so can compare with the coverage etc of the Mudhugger?

The samples I have seen are tiny, they are more aimed at protecting the bike/linkage/shock than the person.

They have left the heinous, flappy plastic option to Mudhugger.

jayx2a
    Free Member

They do look similar-. I was using a muckynutz face fender last year and it did an ok job, but not great!

legend
    Free Member

If you have a mudhugger and are happy with it save your money for something else. But if you need a new guard buy the RRP instead of another mudhugger. It clears mud better. infact much better in that properly sticky mud that drags leaves and tree debris shit inbetween the fork brace and tyre and stops the wheel turning. You don’t really encounter that sort of mud in the Valley or any of the Derp spots around the central belt but it’s rife here and used to mean I couldn’t even use a mudguard for certain routes as the front wheel would clog every couple of revolutions and I’d want to rip the **** thing clean off. It protects fork seals better but that extra material makes the guard stay stiffer too. The extra front length means it stops forwards spray better and it covers a wider angle of spray to the rear… OOps… sorry. that’s more than one reason. But not quite all.

You see, you could just posted some of that info in the first place 😉

Will probably get a decent guard for the Wee Ride (just got a small one at the moment), so could move the Mud Hugger to that then put an RRP on the ‘trail weapon’. It’s the front spray I should really be looking at to help the dodgy eye nonsense

geex
    Free Member

Defo get the max for erm… Max eye proteX

Like I said the many differences are subtle but it all adds up to a far superior better thought out product. You should know by now to trust me when I say something is really good. you know fine I’ll be brutal if it’s not.

Goggs/glasses and a buff (mouth rather than heid) are actually a good shout for weeride use in the wet. It doesn’t matter so much how much of a spaz they look when they’re still cute AF. and No! I don’t mean you. 😉

legend
    Free Member

Dont worry, I know I’m cure AF anyway. There are more layers being added to him by the day (must be fooking freezing sitting there)! Struggling to encourage glasses and the likes yet but we’ll get there

jayx2a
    Free Member

Ok I think the RRP has been sold well enough of here, will get one sorted!

jayx2a
    Free Member

So RRP also recommended over the RockGuardZ?

jedi

The small fronthugger for me. Best I’ve tried or seen

geex
    Free Member

I’m cure AF anyway

sleepless nights treated you well then?

geex
    Free Member

Got a MUDGUARDZ on another bike. It’s pretty good and styling does look nicer for a mudguard especially on the stealth carbon BATBIKE it’s fitted to but it doesnt actually MUDGUARD quite as well. Mudhugger shorty nowhere near as MUD or SPRAYGUARDING as either.
    the only point in running a proper full front mudguard that doesn’t give max protection to your field of vision is because you think it looks less like a mudguard is on your bike. Kinda defeating the purpose somewhat.

iainc

I have a set of brand new ones surplus :

Original rear Mudhugger

Shorty Front Mudhugger

With all zip ties and helitape, and blue and white decals applied but easily removed.

I got them a few days but have decided not to fit them, sticking with Muckynutz solution for now.

Please PM me if interested in a deal

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bollocks!

Just fitted an RRP Pro-max to a set of Boost 34s.

Has anyone else noticed that the under side of the crown clashes with the top of the guard approaching full travel?

GT85 does a cracking job of removing the shine though.

kcal

I expect I will need new mudguards @iainc — could be tempted, I’m not sure what will fit though.

It’s for a HT rather than FS…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bollocks 2.

Same story with a Boost Revelation as well.

iainc

kcal, they are in the classifieds with pics, please PM me if interested, cheers,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Mudhugger still guard of choice?’ is closed to new replies.