Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mudguards – will SKS Raceblade Long fit my bike?
  • stumpy01

My bike

has ‘cowled’ style dropouts (sorry for rubbish pic)….

and generally doesn’t seem to have much clearance around the back wheel

and I am not convinced that I can get mudguards to fit.
    I want to get some so I have less of an excuse to go for a ride over the winter when the roads are wet.

It doesn’t look like the rear guard mount would fit past the cowled style dropout, but if that’s the only thing stopping them fitting I can get some replacements mounts with a kink in them made up for not too much money.
    The tyres are 23s and there isn’t a massive amount of room under the brakes and between the seat tube although I think the guard stops before that point.

Other option would be to try the crud ones, but they look like a pain in the butt to fit and potentially flimsy.

Any pointers would be most appreciated before I splash some cash.

mintimperial

Probably. I don’t think the clearance will be a problem. They fitted onto my Cube which didn’t have much clearance either, with 23s you should be fine. The brackets on the brake callipers are very slim, the guards themselves don’t go under the brakes. As for the cowled drop-outs, you can bend the drop-out bracket bits about quite a lot, although looking at that pic I think they’d be ok as they are: the stays can be adjusted a long way down the guards.

Overall I prefer them to the plasticky Crud ones, much sturdier and harder to kill, and they don’t rub much once you’ve set them up.

stumpy01

Cool. Thanks.
    I think I might give them a go. I will probably be able to bodge them on one way or another!

Kahurangi

I have some and I doubt you’ll have any problems with fitting them. Afraid to say it, but much prefer them to the crud Road Racer guards. Sturdier, less rub and quicker to remove. The cruds may have marginally better coverage but the coverage with these is still good.

They’ll be fine with 23’s as well.

takisawa2

Giant Defy guards look ok, pretty much the same as SKS longs but cheaper.

mangatank
    Free Member

The latest crud race guards are a big improvement. A bit of a pain to set up, but once done, they make a very subtle impression visually. Entirely effective coverage too.

FuzzyWuzzy

Clearance tyre/seat tube will be fine as they don’t go down very far (unlike the Cruds), should be fine at the drop-outs to as the metal clips are bendable. I much prefer them to Cruds to, takes a few minutes longer to install the first time but then the mounts stay in place so removing/refitting is really quick.

stumpy01

Cheers all. Gonna give the raceblade longs a whirl, I think. I would try the Giant Defy ones, but a mate in the trade can get me the sks ones for a good price.

Will have to do an installation review/post for anyone else considering guards.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards – will SKS Raceblade Long fit my bike?’ is closed to new replies.