Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mudguards: Kinesis Fend Off vs SKS Edge AL
  • jimmy

Any opinion on these two mudguards? I was tempted with the kinesis just becase they’re going on a Kinesis bike, but the SKS actually look tidier with the fixings, and cheaper (EDIT: not for the size I need). I think my mind is made up really.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Edge-Al-28-46mm-Aluminium-Mudguard-Set_203819.htm

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/kinesis-fend-off-mudguard

Any experience to back this up ?

a11y

Edge AL are superb – I’ve used them nearly 3 years on my commuter/flat-bar gravel bike. I chuck that down some reasonably chunky trails and no issues and rarely any rattle. Much more robust (by a big factor) than Chromoplastics etc. I added a flap to the front guard as it doesn;t quite keep your feet dry without.

Edge AL 56 with 700x50s:

Edge AL

I’ve no experience of the Kinesis guards.

therevokid
    Free Member

fend-off were good but the AL’s (used both 46 and 56) are just that little bit better. got some 56’s on the Bokeh and can happily fit the 650×47 or 700×42 under them 🙂

jam-bo

another vote for the SKS AL’s.

I had to modifiy mine a bit to make them fit well, before shortening the rear it bounced on the tyre quite regulary.

the front I split in two as I had threaded mounted on the front and back of the fork but the profile wouldnt fit in the arch well.

I leave them on permantently. a bit short for group rides but I don’t group ride so…

focus atlas

jimmy

Will the AL 46’s fit 42mm tyres? The road.cc review suggests that anything much bigge than 32mm tyres will rub.

momo

I’ve got the wide version of the fend off, cleared 45mm Schwalbe G-one ultrabites without issue last winter. I like that the packaging has cut marks printed on it to turn it into extra flaps too (and the necessary bolts are included)

robola

Will the AL 46’s fit 42mm tyres? The road.cc review suggests that anything much bigge than 32mm tyres will rub.

I’ve got my AL 46 set up with 40mm tyres. I had to buy the extra long stay to get the bracket bit clear of the tyre. Width wise they are fine and you could probably go a couple of mm bigger.

mrchrispy

watching with interest, need to get my Camino Ti ready for winter commutes.
    I was looking earlier in the summer and I thought I was settled on the Kinesis but those ALs looks good

defblade
    Free Member

Let me throw a cat amongst the pigeons – despite having a Kinesis bike, I went for the Portland Design Works guards – very nicely made, can really hug the tyre and keep you properly dry.

spooky_b329

I fitted the Fend Off wides to my gravel bike with 40c tyres, they are lovely and rattle free and I think I only managed to clog them up once (deep mud with grass mixed in).

I bought the SKS Edge ones for my wife’s gravel bike and they just didn’t fit, they are a wider square profile than the Fend Offs. Months later and I just fitted Speedrockers and they look just the ticket, a bit uglier on the front but very quick to remove.

ransos
    Free Member

I have Fend Offs on my road bike. They don’t move or rattle, and have excellent coverage.

easily
    Free Member

Also have Edge AL, and I’m pretty happy with them. They didn’t quite fit my bike, but were easy to modify

Rustychain
    Free Member

Fend offs on the road bike – faultless and rattle free.

I got SKS Edge for the gravel bike and they’re sat in the box (missed the return deadline) as they won’t fit without modification.

jimmy

@defblade I’m trying not to look *over there*

jkomo

Do either of these have pannier rack that bolts on to the rear mudguard- I need a combo for my commuter.

easily
    Free Member

I got SKS Edge for the gravel bike and they’re sat in the box (missed the return deadline) as they won’t fit without modification

Maybe you could send them to jimmy?

If not have a go at modding them. I managed it, and I’m a total klutz – imagine @WorldClassAccident without the talent.

tthew

Do either of these have pannier rack that bolts on to the rear mudguard- I need a combo for my commuter.

?? I’ve seen then the other way round, that Ortlieb quick release rack has the capacity to clip mudguards onto it, but normal mudguard stays won’t take the weight of luggage.

jkomo

Sorry I meant the rack holds the mudguards so doing away with some of the mudguards supports and the horizontal clamp of the rack.

mrchrispy

yeah those Orblieb QR rack does that but the guard its pretty short and stops short of the down tube (so pretty pointless IMO)

jameso

I was going to get the Edge ALs but anything with internal stay fixings clogs easier and needs more tyre clearance to the actual guard. Got to have external stay fittings if used off-road. Went for Velo Oranges which are good, they have a trad external loop stay. PDWs get it right too.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I used to have SKS Bluemels on my Spesh Diverge. They were thin aluminium coated with plastic I think. I ran them for 7 years but then bought some PDWs earlier this year. Installed them a few months later and they are vastly superior to the Bluemels. Don’t know why I procrastinated getting them fitted.

The twin strut stainless steel stays of the Bluemels looked ugly in comparison to the PDWs single strut black aluminium stays. Plus, whilst not only looking much, much nicer they are vastly more rigid. I’ve taken them on some fairly rough terrain without so much as a scrape against the tyre or any of the wobble I had from the Bluemels. I’d even be confident fitting a dynamo light to the front fender as the tip is so rigid I’m pretty certain the light beam wouldn’t be adversely affected.

Additionally the PDWs are easier to fit and all the spare parts are available.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.