• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mrb123.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mudguards for winter road bike
  • Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I’m in the process of sorting out my new winter road bike and am considering my options for mudguards.

I’m after fixed guards that will stay on the bike all the time. I need clearance for about 30mm tyres. Something sturdy and rattle free with good coverage but also fairly light would be preferable.

So far, I’ve looked at the following…

Portland Design Works (Road Plus size) – seem to be the gold standard, look great and are nice and light. Eye-wateringly expensive though!

SKS Bluemels/Chromoplastics – the 35mm sizes probably too narrow and 45mm a bit too wide. 42mm Bluemels might do the job but frustratingly that size don’t come with mudflaps.

Bontrager NCS – look sturdy and possibly easier to fit than some, but quite weighty and the design of the adjustable stays doesn’t look great.

M-Part Primo – available in 38mm width so maybe a better size for me than the SKS offerings. Get decent reviews, come with mudflaps and not super heavy.

Kinesis Fend Off – look pretty smart but a bit heavy.

Velo Orange – look nice but not cheap and not light.

Any I’ve missed or any comments on the above??

Premier Icon johnnystorm

I’ve used SKS commuter as I find them a lot less faffy to fit and don’t need effort to get the stats the right length.

Also look at getting a pair of Raw Mud flaps.

Premier Icon schmiken

The Kinesis Fend Off are solid, rattle free and great quality. They are heavy but it’s a winter bike…

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

PDWs with Raw Flaps on the heavy duty winter bike, SKS Bluemels on the ‘shoulder season bike.

Both work well, PDWs definitely quieter, would have bought some to replace the Bluemels but clearances on that bike require a lot of butchering to make mudguards fit, seems daft to cut up a set of near enough £100 guards…

Premier Icon joat

PDWs with Raw Flaps on the heavy duty winter bike, SKS Bluemels on the ‘shoulder season bike.

Ooh get you!

I’m running kinesis fend off on my winter/commuter/too damp for the best bike, err bike. It takes a lot to make them rattle and the flat top looks neat IMO. 30mm would be about the limit though without risking spray up the sides.

Premier Icon butcher

My experience of Chromoplastics is that they only just fit 28mm. In fact I reinstalled a 28mm tyre on a wide rim and they would not go back on. Depends on the clearance of the frame though, that’s with them sitting relatively low over the tyre.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Frame has bags of clearance but have pretty much ruled out the 35mm SKS as being a bit too narrow.

Don’t really want to go as wide as 45mm though as looks a bit daft with a narrower tyre.

Tyres are currently 28mm GP 4 Seasons but they’re fitted to wide rims so come up pretty plump.

Regarding the weight point, I know this shouldn’t be the main concern for a winter bike, but this build is intended to give me a lighter and livelier bike than my old winter bike so I don’t want to add too much heft if I can help it.

Premier Icon owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have the 42 bluemels with a raw flap on the front one. They fit well and are rattle free. I have 32mm tyres and they are a good fit with the mudguards there is enough space to stop any rubbing when they move but close enough to keep any spray to a minimum.
    The raw flaps are great and are better then any i have had on an SKS mudguard before as they are longer plus you can adjust the fit yourself.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

M-Part Primo – available in 38mm width so maybe a better size for me than the SKS offerings. Get decent reviews, come with mudflaps and not super heavy.

Get them, they’re much better than chromoplastics IME. And cheaper.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

What size tyre do you reckon they’ll handle thisisnotaspoon?

Premier Icon rando29
    Free Member

I have these on my Ridley Fenix winter bike –
    https://www.bicyclequickguard.co.uk/

Not cheap but easy to fit and take on / off and rattle free which was so important for me.

Premier Icon mcnultycop

I had the Bontrager ones and the fit easily and are great to adjust. They don’t look brilliant but guards don’t anyway.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I have the 42 bluemels with a raw flap on the front one. They fit well and are rattle free. I have 32mm tyres and they are a good fit with the mudguards there is enough space to stop any rubbing when they move but close enough to keep any spray to a minimum.
    The raw flaps are great and are better then any i have had on an SKS mudguard before as they are longer plus you can adjust the fit yourself.

Hadn’t seen those Raw Flaps before. Look good and would solve the problem if the lack of flaps with the 42mm Bluemels.

Which size flap did you get for your front guard?

Premier Icon kcr
    Free Member

Don’t really want to go as wide as 45mm though as looks a bit daft with a narrower tyre.

I’ve always used 45mm guards with 28mm tyres. Why do you think they will look daft?

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve always used 45mm guards with 28mm tyres. Why do you think they will look daft?

Daft maybe the wrong word. I’ve got 45mm Chromoplastics on my current winter bike. Just looking for a bit of a neater look.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

My experience of Chromoplastics is that they only just fit 28mm.

I find them ok with 28s but agree that 30mm would be pushing it.

Premier Icon felltop

I use 35mm SKA chromoplastics on my Fairlight Strael. Tyres are 28mm Contintental Grand Prix GT, which measure up at 30mm on 20mm rims. Clearance is fine. I think the frame and forks make a difference.

Premier Icon pdw
    Free Member

Had SKS for years. They always break eventually. To be fair to SKS, the one time I moaned they sent me a new set for free.

I now have PDWs, and overall they’re great, although it took me a while to come to terms with paying that much for mudguards.

The one thing that’s a bit disappointing is how the stays mounts to the frame. Firstly the stays are short – for that much money you think they could be a bit more generous! Secondly, they’re adjusted using nasty little 2mm hex head grub screws that round out if you just look at them a bit funny. Finally, they’re metal crimped on to plastic that eventually wears and rattles. Fixed with a bit of sugru, but a bit annoying that the fixings themselves manage to rattle.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

Had SKS for years. They always break eventually

Sure, but the key word is “eventually”. IME they last for years and are pretty cheap to buy.

Premier Icon cakeandcheese

I’ve just fitted some 35mm Velo Orange guards to my bike. They’re 200g lighter than the sks p45s they replace and much prettier. They’re stiff enough, fit well and come with plenty of good quality hardware.

£65 and worth it in my opinion.

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Are the 35mm Velo Orange ones limited to 25mm tyres?

I did look at their 38mm model (“Smooth Noir”) but at 621g they’re a bit weighty, although slightly less so than the Kinesis. Don’t think they come with mudflaps as standard. They do look smart though.

I’m currently leaning towards trying the M-Part ones. 38mm seem to be about the right width, good coverage as have long mudflaps front and rear, and a quoted 520g seems pretty competitive. Plus £34 seems reasonable.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards for winter road bike’ is closed to new replies.