Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Muddiest place to ride in the UK
  • shermer75
    Free Member

My vote: Epping Forest

(yes I did just edit the title for spelling)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Craufurdland estate, ayrshire. Thread over.

shermer75
    Free Member

Craufurdland

That even sounds…gloopy

jam-bo

Blackdown hills.

you’d think being so close to the weatherproof quantocks they’d be pretty similar.

its not. its really not.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Not here – Aberystwythshire :mrgreen:

It never even gets remotely gloopy muddy, or gritty here. Somewhat makes me wonder why I have a quiver of ‘winter bikes’ to choose from… hmmm..

…Oh hang on, yes that would be the BIBLICAL amounts of rain we have to contend with instead.

zippykona

PICTURES!

will
    Free Member

Eastnor Castle.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Craufurdland estate, ayrshire. Thread over.

Agreed, funnily enough I made a similar comment on a post a few days ago. I live a few minutes ride away from it and wouldn’t go near it in this weather. As I said the other day they don’t do a ‘mud run’ there for nothing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mendip is a strong candidate

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Darn tootin, they don’t do it for nothing, 28 quid to ruin yer running shoes!.

shermer75
    Free Member

PICTURES!

Should have done a selfie today. By ‘eck…

FOG

Gratton Dale, it took me and a mate nearly an hour to get down there earlier in the year. We were carrying bikes because you couldn’t even push them but you could hardly stand up hence ridiculous time taken. We then had to spend a long time poking mud off with sticks when we got to the end so we could get the wheels to turn.

Gary_M
    Free Member

A typical ride at craufurdland – this is craufurdland btw!

crispycross
    Free Member

I vote for Epping Forest. This was taken Christmas 2012:

hatter

Eastnor Castle.

This!

Specifically on the 23rd and 24th of June last year.

*shudders at the memory*

ajantom

The Berkshire Downs – specifically the Ridgeway.
    Wheels tend to stop turning after about 50m. No bike I rode there ever had any paint left on the inside of the stays.

dantsw13

East Sussex is up there! One of my favourite trails was still impassable all summer with 1ft deep clay mud, churned up by horses 😯

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mendip at its worst. From the Trail guide up there ^

shermer75
    Free Member

Asterix, good video but can’t see much mud…

sandwicheater

It’s the clay based mud that drives me crazy. It just does not come off. Rode in Cambridge about 2 months ago and i still can’t get some of that clag off.

fasthaggis

What are fat bikes like in the mud ?

shermer75
    Free Member

Ooops, sorry, my mistake!: ‘I’ve lost a shoe!’ good stuff 🙂

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Low North Camp outside Scarborough.
    Clay based super stickyness. Managed to ride a couple of yards before the whole bike clogged up. Had to dip the bike in a river to clean it and my feet.

shermer75
    Free Member

That’s where they are supposed to come into they’re own, isn’t it?

mrmo
    Free Member

Cotswolds, any of the valleys.

limburger
    Free Member

Wyre Forest, Cotswolds and anywhere with horses…

shermer75
    Free Member

Well I have to say this thread has cheered me right up. I always thought that we had it worse than anywhere else in the country, but it seems there are quite a few places that are even worse..

motorman
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

The muddiest ride I ever did was in the White Peak, Gratton Dale specifically

jono84
    Free Member

Lincolnshire wolds are fairly bad ,the field crossings they become impassable, the mud seems to stick to everything until you finally stop an wonder why you ever tempted to ride across the sticky mess

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice photos motorman!

oldnpastit

Those fatbike pictures – that isn’t mud. That’s muddy silty sand, not the same thing at all.

I suspect a fat bike would be totally useless on the mud we have round here (Cambs).

superfli
    Free Member

Gloopy clay has to be the worst stuff to ride in. Just a nightmare, completely jams the wheels up. Not too bad around my way (S.Downs), mix of clay and chalk, which is very bad in places, but you stay away from them in the winter! Having to push/carry a bike down a hill as it wont roll, is when the mud is at its worst!

Painey
    Free Member

The south downs can in places be a nightmare. It’s when it dries out a touch that the claggy chalky mud sticks to things like sh*t to a blanket!

colournoise

shermer75 – Member
    Asterix, good video but can’t see much mud..

That’s ‘cos I did the vid in the dark and at the start of the Wakerley mud season. This is more typical and lasts from about September through to May usually –

poonprice
    Free Member

+1 Wyre Forest.. I’m local and tend to give it a miss unless its cold and frosty… Winter is trail centre season.

bikeneil
    Free Member

anywhere with horses…

^ this ^

Edric64
    Free Member

Weston Super Mare beach when the tide is out

grum
    Free Member

All of Scotland. Well muddy/boggy anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Muddiest place to ride in the UK’ is closed to new replies.