Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mud tyre recommendations for really filthy conditions
  • ff29

Running rear bontrager xr mud on Canyon Grand Canyon 29er xc rig. They work really well most of the time. However cue steep muddy slope climbs, claggy mud they clog up and end up spinning out like a bad 4X4 TV AD, cue slow motion sideway falls followed by much swearing. Of course once that has happened you really screwed and getting going or walking up becomes a 50/50 option.
    Thoroughly fed up. Thinking about mud spikes, maxxis shorty? Don’t care if it looks stupid on xc bike would just like to make it up without the walk of shame.

jam-bo

If a mud x isn’t clearing then you got no chance.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Shortys are probably the best out there

Northwind

Depends what its to do tbh. But nothing cuts and clears mud much better than a Mud X. They’re shite at everything else mind but for what you describe I’m not sure anything else will be much better. Slow riding in sticky mud is a recipe for clogging basically… The reason other tyres like the shorty etc are more popular now is that they’re almost as good at crappy mud, and better at everything else, (personally if a Mud X is the right tyre for the ride, that ride can **** off, I’ll go somewhere the Mud X isn’t the right tyre and have fun instead)

But, something like a shorty might work, just because you get a bit more paddle, and the rubber itself’s grippier so they can make more use of even small bits of grip. I’ve a feeling you’re basically using the right tool for the job already though and it just happens to be crap riding conditions.

ff29

Oh dear. Bloody hell. Thanks for that. Like I said it does work most the time and it is great. Cuts down through the muck and grips. Obviously on the steeps there is no way to keep speed up. Especially on the claggy greasy mud. Hard enough just staying up. Yes conditions are really bad. Just grabbing whatever bike time I can.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Michelin Mud. Fantastic tyre

chiefgrooveguru

How low a pressure are you running? The lower you can go, the more grip you’ll get and the better they’ll shed.

schmiken

Just got some Dirty Dans, the clay round here is awful. Seem pretty good for the first rides I’ve done (27.5 x 2.00).

votchy
    Free Member

For proper muddy conditions have found nothing better than trailrakers although they are not great for other surfaces

ff29

Thanks for that. I run my rear at about 24psi. Next time I go out will drop it to about 22 to see if that makes a difference.

Think I might try the Dirty Dans/Michelin Muds. They both, cheap, skinny and light. Knobs look longer than the xr muds which should help digging into the claggy stuff.

Will have a look around at the lbs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(personally if a Mud X is the right tyre for the ride, that ride can **** off, I’ll go somewhere the Mud X isn’t the right tyre and have fun instead)

+1

And that’s from someone who tried screams in ice and snow once, hard work and sounded awful all the way…

rocketman
    Free Member

If it really is muddy all the time everywhere then Maxxis Medusa will keep you going forwards. No need to ride around that swamp just go right through it. But as above they are shite everywhere else

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mud tyre recommendations for really filthy conditions’ is closed to new replies.