Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • mud guard woes
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Bought myself some mudguards in december for the cx bike which is also my commuter because after a couple of years its slowly starting to dawn on my that commuting in Wales without them is daft. Finally got round to try fitting them and am having loads of issues.
    Firstly, its a right pain in the buttocks trying to fit them round disk brakes, although I thought I’d more or less sorted that by bending some jaunty angles into the stays. Secondly, despite being nominally 45mm wide, my 33mm tyres rub on them, possibly due to the weirdly bent stays not providing sufficient support. This is especially the case at the front due to the attachment to the fork bridge forcing the guard too low.

Not only have I messed around bending bit to try and bodge a fit, but the shop I got them from is closed so can’t take them back.

Trying to decide on whether give up on the guards and get something like the crud guard road racers which seem to avoid the disk issue and are apparently wide enough for cx tyres, or get some narrower tyres?

Anyone use the crud ones or similar and do they have enough width for cx tyres? How easy is it to peel the velcro back off bike as that would be a nightmare come proper cross usage.

If I go down the narrower tyre route, any suggestions? Would be used through spring and summer for commuting and hashtag gravel type rides. Guess I’d want something around 30mm max and a file tread type thing? Prefereably not too pricy. Having never ridden proper road tyres I’m scared of anything too narrow or too slick as I’m sure I’d slide to road rash death due to my ambivalence about manhole covers, loose gravel etc.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SKS below are a breeze, on and off in seconds, and good coverage. Say they are good for 32mm, but I’m running 35’s no probs.

SKS

trail_rat
    Free Member

what did you buy and what bike you trying to fit them to ?

bending angles into the stays is absolutely no issue its standard fit for bikes with disks.

i certainly wouldnt advise getting crud road guards.

Just take it to a shop who are experianced in fitting mud guards and ask them to do it. There are a number of tricks that make it easy and make it a 30 minute job rather than the 3 hours that people seem to claim it takes to fit full length guards.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not a direct answer to your question, but take a look at SKS Beavertails. I went with them on my boardman since they removed the fork eyelets on the model I have and whilst not being perfect they do a good job.
    Had to dremmel out a section round the seat stays, but have been hassle free once fitted.

ferrals
    Free Member

what did you buy and what bike you trying to fit them to ?

M part primo plastics 45mm wide guard on a Ridley Xbow with clement PDX 33mm tyres on.

davidjey
    Free Member

Are the stays permanently fixed to the mudguard or is there any way of sliding them up/down (to increase/decrease the stay length)?

ferrals
    Free Member

They are movable. I’ll have another crack at it on the w/e when I’ve got a bit more time. Its (I think) the fork bridge connector which is pushing the guard too low. Can probably bodge that too 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

some times you need to trim the edges of the guards where they go under the bridge to get them lifted high enough and possibly file out the bracket that mounts to the fork.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also fife andy – try axiom axle runners for fitting propper mudguards to a bike with no fork bottom mounts.

CraigW
    Free Member

Drill holes in the mudguards, and zip tie them to the fork crown. It will get a bit more tyre clearance, and is less wobbly.

Xylene
    Free Member

2 and half hours to fit mine at the weekend still not happy with them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘mud guard woes’ is closed to new replies.