Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mucky weekend and fine dining in the Lakes. Any suggestions?
  • PolisherMan

It’s our 10th wedding anniversary in March. We’ve thought that it would be great, just once, to try a Michelin starred restaurant… in the Lakes…with (possibly) accommodation…and bike storage!

The Forest Side in Grasmere appeared to fit the bill (yes it would bankrupt us!), but looking at the Trip Advisor reviews, not sure tasting menus are for us. And reading between the lines, although they offer “budget” rooms and a standard meal, they’re not really after muddy bikers scrapping the pennies together!!

Normally we doss in our van. Stavely’s good. Nice flat carpark and brewery!

Any reccommendations? Maybe Holbeck Ghyll…

nixie

Why not stay somewhere cheaper and just eat at the restaurant?

Not been to that place but tasting menus can be worth it for experience alone.

duncancallum

Old dungeon gill?

gkeeffe

I think the best food is at the Lake Road Kitchen Ambleside – reasonable too – better than all the Michelin’s in the Lakes – L’Enclume in Cartmel is good too but expensive – you’d have to stay somewhere.

Food at Chesters in Skelwith is good at lunchtime as well.

boblo
    Free Member

L’Enclume is very nice. They have a brasserie for brekkie and cheaper dinner if that’s your thing and their accommodation isn’t silly money whilst being very nice. 3* will never be budget but how many times are you going to have a 10th wedding anniversary?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

How about the Lamplighter in Windermere ?

slowol

Drunken Duck between Ambleside and Hawkshead always used to be rated. Could pedal from there to Grizedale too if you were feeling keen.

Not eaten there myself, only hearsay, and staying is pricey but googling showed Jay Rayner loved it -> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/17/jay-rayner-drunken-duck-ambleside

Happy eating and of course biking 🙂

smokey_jo

Gilpin Lodge is better evening food than l’enclume and you don’t have to do a tasting menu, plus they have hot tubs for bike cleaning purposes but the breakfast at l’enclume was unbeatable.

Rooms at l’enclume were nice but not exceptional considering what they charge.

Just had a quick look at the gilpin website – restaurant has changed quite a lot since I went there over 5 years ago so not sure if my comment still stands on the food but I doubt the rooms could have been improved much.

dissonance

Drunken Duck between Ambleside and Hawkshead always used to be rated.

Stayed there this year and food and beer was good (although i am far from a gourmet). Not starred though.
    There is a nice route practically out of their door in the lake district guidebook and didnt get eyebrows raised when returning a tad muddy.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

DD – nice but slightly pretentious gastro pub (hate to say that as its was/is my local for 30years) but when a pub has a menu that neither the waitress nor I could understand, you are starting to take the loss. I miss the old days of XB and chicken in the basket,

L,Enclume
    Gilpin Lodge – took my old mum there two years ago and taster menu very good
    The old stamp house
    Sharrow Bay ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Holbeck Ghyll
    Samling

lowey

The Samling.

scuttler

Why not stay somewhere cheaper and just eat at the restaurant?

Proper mucky weekend = posh hotel.

jontykint
    Free Member

Not got a star but Another Place, Ullswater is a lovely spot. Not been open long. Its relaxed and B&B in a lake view room is £200 or so. depends when you go.

Pyro

The Punchbowl at Crosthwaite always gets good reviews, both food and accom wise.

http://www.the-punchbowl.co.uk/

andy8442
    Free Member

You won’t do any better than the Jumble Rooms in Grasmere.

mrchrispy

punch bowl was my go to dirty weekend bolt hole.
    rooms/food/beer/staff all great.

duir
    Free Member

Ullswater Sharrow Bay and tip top riding right next to you.

timmys

Did L’enclume for my 40th last year. Would recommend.

They have rooms spread around town, ours was the top floor above the coffee shop and very nice. They do packages of dinner at L’enclume + room + breakfast in their bistro thing.

jairaj

https://www.theforestside.com/

Sorry, not a starred restaurant but my friend who is into posh food really enjoyed his stay at the hotel and the food in the restaurant.

karnali
    Free Member

not michilin starred but the cottage in the wood whinlatter may suit your needs, about 5 mins pedal from the trail centre, or ride down through the forest and pick up the borrowadale bash or round skiddaw route are just a couple of options.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mucky weekend and fine dining in the Lakes. Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.