• This topic has 53 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Mucky Nutz fender Bender Fitting??
  • organic355
    Free Member

Velcro strap cut into 5 equal lengths or different lengths?

Strap is 80cm so was going to cut into 5 x 16cm lengths, but it says something about ensuring an overlap around forks etc which made me wonder if some lengths should be longer?

honourablegeorge

Why not wrap around the fork first, then cut?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

The enclosed amount is overkill.

I’d be impressed if you’re still using 5 bits after a month. 3 is probably fine. Cable ties will come you way eventually. And a craft knife so you can make a clone for your other bike.

Great little bits of plastic imo.

iain1775
    Free Member

Me thinks your over thinking attaching an ice cream tub lid to some tubes

legend
    Free Member

Velcro strap cut into 5 equal lengths or different lengths?

don’t like reading instructions i assume?

Northwind

Abandon velcro, use cable ties, is how I do it.

organic355
    Free Member

it doesnt say in the instructions thats why I asked 🙄

organic355
    Free Member

also as I am obviously over-thinking it… logo up or logo down for a more stealthy look?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve fitted mine with the velcro and it’s very secure. I had longer lengths around the fork legs than the brace. I just wrapped it around the fork leg with a couple of centimetres overlap and cut 2 strips this length.Then cut remaining velcro into 3 equal strips for the brace. Simple and it’s a brilliant mudguard. Better than the neo and importantly, keeps the stanchions clean 😀

Kryton57

The instructions should be on the underside of the fender on a sticker.

IIRC The two stantion lengths should be 30mm overlap, the remainder (over the fork brace) 3 equal lengths.

Get the stantion bits on first loosely, then the other three with the velco soft side toward you beloved paintwork, as tight as you like.

organic355
    Free Member

Done, cut 2 bits at 19cm and the other 3 at 14cm.
    Looks ok and doesn’t spoil the look of the bike too much.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had my first ride with mine yesterday and must say I am very very impressed. At first I thought something was wrong because as i rode down a fire trail there were lots of little tings turned out to be loads of little stones hitting it. I had never noticed little stones being flicked up on this bit of trail, just goes to show how much it is likely to stop being flung up.

As a bonus to not getting a muddy face I also didn’t get muddy fork seals.

br
    Free Member

cable ties, they just work

Kryton57

b r – Member
    cable ties, they just work – on your paint work

ftfy

jonnyrockymountain

Just fitted mine
    Exactly as Organic355 said looks good but I need to try it out yet, i’am looking forward to tomorrow night now!

br
    Free Member

Kryton – been on 6 months, no marks

gren
    Free Member

Instructions say 5 identical strips but I know the ones around the brace don’t need to be as long and I ended up cutting more off

weeksy

Rubbish rubbish things. Anyone wants one, i have one i’ve not quite binned yet.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

weeksy – you have mail 😀

scruff
    Free Member

3 straps, cut in-situ. Cracked mine when a stick got lodged twixt fender & tyre.

weeksy

All yours mate. FoC. enjoy

nicksar
    Free Member

Got mine, fitted easily. Great little product.

Ambrose

Or a cut down 2 litre milk container.

charliedontsurf

I have fitted these to all our demo bikes and I find zip ties less fiddly.

Great product. It was our production the year.

stevede
    Free Member

Fitted one of these last week and i’m impressed, not usually a fan of fender style mudguards but this manages to be minimal enough not to bother me. Previously had rrp neoguards fitted for years but did notice the build up of crap on the fork brace and around the seals so decided to try the mucky nutz, simple but effective and very reasonably priced (yes you could make one but thats the same with the neoguard).
    Interested to see what mojo/fabien barel have been working on, the protos i’ve seen look a bit odd and i read somewhere (can’t remember where so take with a pinch of salt) a quoted price of over £50!

AndyA
    Free Member

Other than being better for your fork seals, how do they compare to RRP Neoguard?

Cheers

mojo5pro
    Free Member

catch the mud better than a neo. You only need to look at how close the sit to the front tyre. No room for the mud to travel upwards..pretty much all gets caught by the guard

M6TTF
    Free Member

Great product – even better when you print out a copy of it from tinterweb, trace and cut out of a sheet of poly prop you have hanging about.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

..it’s only £7!!

ask1974
    Free Member

Considering the cost of most bike parts, these are a steal! Rode through some truly grotty mud yesterday and didn’t foul the wheel at all. I used to suffer really badly with crud flying into my eyes and stubbornly refused to wear glasses, so these have been a revelation.

Oh, and cable ties as mentioned above.

M6TTF
    Free Member

mojo5pro – Member
    ..it’s only £7!!
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

No – it was free 🙂 – 7 quid to go towards something else

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Well, I trust you gave them a small donation for nicking their idea and design 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Bought one, well got someone to buy me one as a present (free postage at bike mongers too). Yes I could make one but credit where credit is due for the originality and not taking pi$$ with the pricing in the first place. Great cheap gift idea.

Will probably photocopy it in case I rip it off and wreck it and want to make out of a different plastic but not going to rip off their design and make my own from the outset.

avdave2

Great product. It was our production the year.

I bought mine form charlie and it was cheaper than going straight to Mucky Nutz.

Northwind

They are brilliant wee things, the only time any of my bikes ever goes out without one is when it’s got a bigger mudguard on.

Anyone else found the white ones seem a wee bit brittle btw? I’ve had 3, 2 black ones and one white and the black ones are going strong but the white one cracked after not a lot of use.

legend
    Free Member

To bring this back from the dead…. is anyone’s guard failing apart?? Mine’s looking a bit worse for wear after the Enduro last weekend, various cracks and a chunk missing – no idea how/when it happened either 😕

Northwind

my white one did… Managed to break a black one in a decent sized crash, it somehow got folded into the wheel.

Crag
    Free Member

The front edge of my black one has got a chip and crack in it after only a ride. Not particular rocky or loose so god knows how its happened.

I’ve had another on the hardtail for a couple of months which is still going strong after riding in all conditions.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Awesome bit of kit, great service from both Mucky Nutz and Uberbike components during a blip with first one all resolved now well recommended!

redfordrider
    Free Member

Works really well when combined with a crudcather. However, it does make a racket when they make contact with each other when the fork is fully compress when turning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Mucky Nutz fender Bender Fitting??’ is closed to new replies.