Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Muc Off No Puncture oozing through sidewalls – too cold?
  • Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

Refitted my mud tyres today in hope of riding this year – Specialized Storm Control 2Bliss.

Previously had them set up dry, no sealant, but this time round had some air escaping so bunged in 100+ml if Muc Off No Puncture.

It’s been oozing through sidewalls for hours, is it just the really low temperatures that are stopping it sealing? It’s better than it was but not properly stopped so brought them inside (what could go wrong?)

Doesn’t bode well for outside does it?

Premier Icon Tracey

The Control casing has a bit of a reputation doing this on some of the models. Usually its just trying to seal the sidewalls and stops after a couple of rides. Some times depending on sealant brand it just keeps doing it.

Premier Icon robowns
    Free Member

I found Muc Off to be useless, it never sealed. Replaced with Stans and it worked immediately – binned the Muc Off.

Premier Icon kayak23

Yeah I run Spesh tyres and most of them do it to a degree.

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I sent 2 storm contols back to my lbs as the sides just wept sealant,despite them being 2 bliss compound and that was with stans. Its just spec tyres.

Premier Icon gazzab1955

Had the same side wall leakage problem with an 2 year old Specsh Purgatory, replaced it with a new one and the problem was worse! Complained to Specsh and they sent me a new one for free. Have left it on the shelf and replaced both tyres (had a Butcher on the front which only leaked a little!) with Maxxis Ardent, leak problem gone.

Premier Icon white101
    Free Member

My brand new schwalbe x one’s did exactly this when I first went tubeless. Still do after a couple of months.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Never had this issue running Stans sealant, guess it’s the Muc-off causing the problem

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

Bin the muc off, it’s truly awful. Stans ftw.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Free Member

Pretty sure there’s been a couple of threads on muck off sealant and it wasn’t well regarded from memory.

Premier Icon olly2097
    Free Member

Muc off is pants. I’ve burnt through a litre. The bead seals fine after a while but any small hole doesn’t seal at all. I keep having to take the tyre off and patch the refill. Wouldn’t seal a large thorn hole in my front. Crap.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Free Member

We’ve 5 Specialized tyres in the household with 3 different casings.
    4 of them leak like sieves and the 5th I put a tube in.
    It’s cost more in replacement sealant than the tyres imo.
    I’m not buying Specialized tyres again – a shame because I quite like the tread and casing feel.

Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

I can see a theme here!

Had a look and although they have held air overnight the fluid is still weeping through everywhere.

In terms of the tyres has anyone got these to seal with Stans?

If not I’ll slap the tubes back in, at least then I can go and ride.

Premier Icon drinfinity
    Free Member

Had the same weeping with Spesh tyres and a variety of sealants. Now using Maxxis with no weeping, from me or the tyres.

On my CX bike I have some of the new Challenge Limus tubeless. One of them works fine, the other weeps so much it picks out the pattern of the threads in the casing, and now has a tube in it.

Premier Icon ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Stan’s Stan’s or Stan’s. That’s it.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used spesh tyres for years with stans, aye they wept liquid on occasion, but tbh it was never an issue. Rubber is porous, it just happens.

Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Nim there. Got the badge. – Stans in this case.

Leaky tyres-9

Premier Icon lucky7500

I used spesh tyres for years with stans, aye they wept liquid on occasion, but tbh it was never an issue. Rubber is porous, it just happens.

This. I had the same with WTB tyres and stans. It doesn’t make any difference to how the bike rides. If you like the tyres ignore it and carry on riding.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Free Member

ooh, me too.

Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout – which sealant is that?

2B ready?

Premier Icon jca
    Free Member

I see the problem – It doesn’t look like you used 29″ specific sealant…

Premier Icon sync
    Free Member

Muc off is fine. Loads of riders round here use with no issues.

However you do need to add c20% more than suggested on the pack especially with higher volume tyres like specialized and on 27.5+/29 sizes.

Also helps to leave to cure initially with tyre deflated after the initial inflation and bead seating. Not all tyres need this though, some seem to fare better than others. Maxxis for example give me no problems.

If it’s really cold out and the sealant has been stored in the shed etc, I would bring in to indoor room temp and fill the tyre indoors etc.

Premier Icon boombang
    Free Member

150ml in each of those 2″ tyres including leaving the wheel indoors for 24 hours – still dropping pressure, weeping from sidewalls and a couple of pinhole punctures didn’t seal.

Cleaned one wheel and tyre off (just rinsed off with water), bunged in 50ml of Stan’s (all I had in bottom of bottle from a few years ago) and it sealed the pinholes instantly, will see how it does on the sidewalls in the knowledge I’ll be topping up when get some more Stan’s anyhow.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.