Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MTBing locations near Denver early October?
  • tonyg2003

I have a couple of free days in Denver in the first weeks of October and I’d like to do some MTB’ing. Moab looks like 5hrs drive away and although I’d like to go it’s probably too far. So where would the STW go? Bike hire and guiding essential?

BTW – I’ve been to Denver before and I don’t want to do stuff in Denver again.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m out there soon so have been investigating. A look on strava shows a lot of activity at Winter Park, Breckenridge, Vail and Beaver Creek.

MtbRoutes

Getting a bit wintery up in the Rockies by then. Fruita is a bit nearer than Moab and quite spectacular.

tonyg2003

Yep I was wondering whether we would be leaving it too late for early October at than latitude and altitude.

I’ll have a look at Fruita.

Cheers

Rubber_Buccaneer

Fruita/Grand Junction is still four hours from Denver but looks good.  May be there late September and the 18 Road trails have caught my eye.

vmgscot

Have ridden both Grand Junction (Lunch Loops) and Fruita (18 Rd and Kokopelli) mid to late September and they were still sweet – not sure if that’s the norm?

If you fancy a test on a Yeti then pop over to the HQ at Golden and hook up a factory demo and go ride the Apex trail system – compact trail system but a lot of fun to ride from the factory.

chipps

I’d go Fruita for a day and Moab for another. The drive through the Rockies is spectacular.

A seven hour drive home from Moab to Denver is going to beat Bournemouth to Manchester any day.

What have you done around Denver? Golden? Boulder?

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/lookout-mountain-beaver-brook/

Some ideas here if you don’t want to drive to Fruita. However Fruita is great.

Edit. Also I live in Denver, PM me if you want a riding buddy.

metalheart
    Free Member

Isn’t October getting a bit late for the Front Range?

ETA: maybe ask a local, 10? 🤣

Front range will probably be ok in October. Western slope is a little hit and miss. The issue with that time of year is driving over the passes if there is snow. Early season the snow falls can be heavy and wet. They often shut Vail pass in both directions for the snow. I got caught last year coming back from Junction/Fruita at the end of May when heavy snow shut Vail. I had a charming night in Eagle!

Last year we had heavy snow in October, but the temps in the FR meant it was gone pretty quickly. Stuck around up high though.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry, I’m getting mixed up with the western slope. 10 years ago I was as in crested butte last week of June and 401 was still shut (we got 3/4 up 104401 and had to turn back as snow was more hassle that it was worth…). I was thinking there were ‘hills’ between denver and fruita though. 🤣

tonyg2003

Thanks for the replies- really useful. I’ll get back to you to let you know how we get on!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MTBing locations near Denver early October?’ is closed to new replies.