MTB Winter Boots

Home Forum Bike Forum MTB Winter Boots

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • MTB Winter Boots
  • Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Sorry – my spendy habits only run to three pairs of winter boots 🙂

My other boots (and I know I’ve recommended them before) are Thinsulate lined Snowshoe boots. Mine are Salomon but Decathlon do their own brand too. Mine work fine with flats 🙂

Really pleased with my MT91’s, but haven’t done a winter in them yet. I prefer the walking boot look to normal cycling shoes – and why not have something you can actually stand up in off the bike?

Agree about the 3 size out issue (fortunately I researched this prior to buying online) – however, even with the correct size, they aren’t the widest I must say.

drlex

What about the Northwaves? Anyone know how nicely they play with flats?

Initial impression (two weeks) here is ‘not brilliantly’ – one saddle-groin sudden impact incident has led me to take extra care.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Just had a quick scan through and saw no mention of the Lake boots. I’ve got the MXZ302’s and they have been brilliant, it’s got to be pretty bloody cold to wear them though.
    Can be had for about £145 on ebay.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I have the Lake’s and one thing I would say is that the cuff favours those with a more, errm, substantial ankle.

They are waterproof and *very* warm but if you’re someone who wears tights rather than trousers (or just 3/4 tights and waterproof shorts) you can get water and mud in the top more easily than with the Shimano or Specialized equivalents (ime).

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Yeah I agree that would be their only fault. I wear them with Altura attack trousers and it’s a lovely, dry, warm and smug feeling I have when I head out the door 😀

I know they’re not necessarily ‘winter boots’ but has anyone tried the MT71s?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Avoid Lake winter boots – I have waterproof, insulated ones – that then have a big hole in the bottom for the cleat. 🙄

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

So, MT91s, 2 sizes up and some long Sealskinz. Sound about right?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

I have this years defrosters (in a 43) and they come up buch bigger than last years in a 44, so I would guess they have changed the last on them.
    Plenty of room inside too even with thick merino socks.
    I am going to need to put some insoles in though as there doesn’t appear to be as much arch support as I`d like (The MTB Pros I use in summer on the road bike are spot on though)

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

I have this years defrosters (in a 43) and they come up buch bigger than last years in a 44, so I would guess they have changed the last on them.

Cheers, that’s really interesting to know, this week I have just been wearing my boots for the first time this year, and was thinking they are too small for me really.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

CLINK

I’m using the Gore Active shell trousers and they are very good indeed. Not cheap though!

Cheers

Sanny

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

CLINK

I’m using the Gore Active shell trousers and they are very good indeed. Not cheap though!

Cheers

Sanny

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Two rides this weekend with my new MT91s. Admittedly not sub-zero (more like 4 or 5 degrees), but the boots seem great. Normally wear a 42 but went 44 which is big enough for medium-weight Sealskinz with wiggle room to spare. One ride with the ‘skinz and one with normal merino socks – finished both muddy rides with dry, warm feet (which for a Reynaud’s sufferer is a novel feeling at this time of year).

All good so far.

My thanks go out to the hive mind.

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

I have had two pairs of MT91’s and wore both out over a four year period (the goretex bootee inside disintergrated). the uppers and soles were still fine on both though. Really good hike a bike boots but if you dont wear them with waterproof longs they will fill up with water and grit.
    Having been for a road ride today and suffering the dreaded blue big toes from the heat sink effect of the cleat I have just ordered a pair of Lake MXZ303’s as they come in a wide fit so I should have the best of all worlds and dont mind treating leather boots properly ie not drying them out on rads and putting leather care products on them.
    Just hope they fit….

p8ddy

I use Shimano mw81’s. They’re comfy, but not waterproof. When the going gets pretty wet they leak. In a normal shower you’ll be fine, but if the rain gets very heavy the boots will fill with water.

They’re reasonably warm, and if you wear nice socks they’re warm enough for cold days in the UK.

They’re also a pain to get on. The velcro will catch on your sock, and there’s an elastic strap on the inside that your toes will almost certainly catch on, which is beyond annoying.

While the above sounds like a lot of criticism, they’re a decent boot, and considering the price, a decent compromise. The NW competitors I looked at were twice the price and didn’t agree at all with my wide feet. If you use on a hose on them you’ll get wet feet though.

Been wearing a pair of Shimano MW81s for a few winters now & just bought a new pair as my originals were only one size larger – which was OK for most of the year – but a bit tight with my thermal seal skin socks on – so my new pair are two sizes larger!

They are very pretty warm – but I have also worn them with a pair of neoprene overshoes on the coldest of days.

To stop the water running down your legs into the top of the boot I have made a set of rubber gaiters from the sleeve of a pair of black rubber gloves. They are about 4ins long & work a treat by directing the water off my legs and over the top of the boots. They look as if they are part of the boots too.

gaz552

What about Five Ten Exum Guide? Not really sure how good they are other than the grip is most likely awesome.

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Now Velcro, that has no place on a winter boot:
    Snow too deep to ride in, so you walk.
    Snow gets on your (waterproof) boots
    Melts due to warmth of your feet.
    Water gets in the velcro
    Start riding again
    Water freezes.
    Velcro clogs with ice, hooks and loops no longer clear.
    Snow too deep to ride in, so you walk.
    Velcro opens
    Boot falls off.
    Cold wet foot….

This is bollocks. I have ridden in snow loads with my MW80 boots (inc. deep hike a bike bits) and this has never happened.

Premier Icon Pawsy_Bear
    Subscriber

My experience has been that whilst the boots are waterproof and warm with good thick soxs my feet have got wet as water seeped in down my legs to the tops of my soxs. Since adding a gaiter I can honestly say my feet have stayed dry and warm.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Shimanos here – they’re great wet-weather boots, durable too (4th winter on mine coming up and no signs of damage or wear) but not particularly warm imo. If it’s only a few degrees / frosty and you’re out for 3-4hrs+ you may get numb toes, I do even with a thin wool/thin bike sock combo. Heard good things about Defrosters in comparison for warmth.

TiRed

Have Defrosters, MW80s and Sidi for the road. The defrosters are by far the warmest and keep my feet driest.

My tip is to buy used. None of the above were bought new. All but one were sold due to poor fit. 😉

Lawmanmx

I have a lovely pair of specialized defrosters winter boots (excellent condition) in size 44 with cleats that i would be interested in swapping for a same size and condition pair of five tens if anyone is interested?
    I only ride flats these days so they have sat unused for ages.
    Email me for pics

SnS

Another happy MW81 user ( providing you can keep the water from coming in the top – same as all other boots)
    Was also quite happy with the MW80’s I had in the dim n distant.

Toying with the idea of getting some MW91’s once the MW81’s finally wear out. ( but i’m hoping there’s a couple of years left in these latest ones)

gaz552

It seems that almost all the MTB boots are for spd’s; MT91, defrosters, Gearne’s.
    The only ones that don’t seem to be are the five ten exum guides, but I don’t even know if they are remotely water proof.

Anyhow my point is, surely boots that are meant for spd’s will have less grip walking, on a flat pedal and will also less comfortable when walking/hiking?

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Even though the MW91s are SPD compatible, I’m using them on flats – the soles are pretty hard rubber but they seem to sit well on the pedals (Superstar Nanos) and I haven’t slipped a pedal yet. They also only have a half rigid sole, so are actually pretty comfy to walk in and seem at least as grippy on muddy slopes as my Salomon walking boots.

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

The 2014 defrosters arrived in today’s post. Miles better than last years model.

1 They are a good chunk more roomy, including the pull over cover, which used to be really restrictive on the old ones in itself, and often pulled the boa open.
    2. They have “toughened” up the tongue so the boa doesn’t cut into the top of your feet so easily.
    3 The ankle is far higher and seals up much better.
    4, did I mention how much roomier they are, I have even been able to replace the insole with my sole mouldable insole which is a bit thicker than the standard one, I wasn’t even close to doing that with last years.

I am still not convinced that the boa gives any advantage, but taking a size 49 I don’t have many choices, if I did have a choice it wouldn’t be a boa fastening. Last years were too small and I had to endure wearing them, this years actually fit.

erny

Another happy defroster owner here 🙂

damascus

I ran mt90’s for 5 years. Best boots ever. Just upgraded to mt91’s. So far they seem excellent. Will see how they get on in winter

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber
    gaz552

ton – Member
    null

Looks like it would keep your feet warm ok, but wonder what it’s like to cycle in (heel / ankle rub when pedaling).

asterix

how many sizes do you reckon I should go up for MT91s if my normal shoe size is 45.5?

Premier Icon Gnnr
    Subscriber

Having worn out my MT90’s I looking at replacing them with MT91’s is there any difference in sizing when they restyled the boot?

Cheers G

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

What is the tread made of on the defrosters? Grippy rubber or slippy plastic?

Anyhow my point is, surely boots that are meant for spd’s will have less grip walking, on a flat pedal and will also less comfortable when walking/hiking?

Vibram hiking boot sole on the MT91’s

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

What is the tread made of on the defrosters? Grippy rubber or slippy plastic?

Rubber, they are not walking boots, but better than sidi.

scruff

I’ve had one pair of MT90s for about 7 years, maybe more. They have holes worn in the side but still seemed fine, nothings fell apart but I’ve retired then this year as I went to replace the cleat and the bolts have sheared off. Used the other set and the corrosion just helped strip the threads straight away.

So I bought some MT91’s. Couldn’t remember which size MT90s I had so bought size 44 MT91’s as I’m normally a 43. Seem to have enough wriggle room for medium socks, so maybe go 2 sizes up if you have cold feet.

This is what I am using this winter.
    Inner and outer boot, rated down to -7c

fasterkatt boot

and if you want protection down to -18c or something stupid like that, try these…

we are selling a lot of these to Scotland and Norway etc. Sales to Hawaii are pretty bloody terrible.

SPD version

NOT spd version

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘MTB Winter Boots’ is closed to new replies.