• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • MTB Water proof Clothing
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Seen a few posts for waterproof jackets, but no questions regarding water proof pants/trousers. Does nobody wear water proof pants/trousers?

Any recommendations on trousers, shorts and jackets?
    Is a hood important for a winter or water proof biking jacket?

The wet weather normally stops me going out as much, as I don’t have much in the way of waterproofs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Waterproof on a MTB is pretty much unattainable, and trousers are a PITA .

Decent shorts, knee pads and sealskinz knee highs below, whatever jacket that’s warm enough in cold wind yet breathable/vented.

And man up.

iainc

Have a look at the tenn waterproof shorts. They last a winter, but at £20 are a bargain.

sambob
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts are amazing, sound like they won’t work but are one of the best bits of winter kit I own

Northwind

I’m a big fan of waterproof shorts, I like the Altura Attacks- I have a pair that’s years old, they just go in the washing machine with everything else, and mostly they just feel like normal shorts except for being warmer and keeping the wet off. MTFU in this case just seems like taking pride in bad decisions.

Goldigger
    Free Member

MTFU doesn’t make you enjoy a ride if your soaked through to the bone and freezing your tits off.

What’s the difference between the MT500 and attack shorts?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    iainc

Any waterproof shorts will keep you dryer than regular ones. They will all get wet due big leg holes. They will all fall apart due grit and gravel on the seat seams. Pick a pair that fit, and at a price that suits.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

In winter, waterproof gtx boots, sealskinz, waterproof shorts and a good rain jacket,
    So be honest unless it’s freezing and chucking it down I overheat in rain jackets

At £40 the mt500 spray shorts are a proper bargain , the front is stretchy and the rear is fully taped and impenetrable,
    Plus I wear bibshorts to avoid that freezing cold water splash up your spine, you know the one that shocks you

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-MT500-Spray-Baggy-Cycling-Shorts-AW16_29537.htm?sku=64553&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3frbtZ-g1QIVwbobCh2GKgI0EAQYByABEgJX3fD_BwE

On really wet days I use the mt500 waterproof, but they do russle as you peddle

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

MTFU doesn’t make you enjoy a ride if your soaked through to the bone and freezing your tits off.

I live in one of the wettest areas of the U.K., in all my years of biking, I can probably count on 1 finger the amount of times I’ve been freezing my tits off and wish I had stayed at home.

I always regret not going riding, I never, ever regret going out. It’s a bit of a mantra of mine.

iainc

^^^ Yep, he does speak sense, sometimes…. 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Good waterproof jacket but if it warm I tend just to get wet and wear a gilet or similar. When it gets colder I tend to wear tights, water resistant/windproof ones are good.

I tend to keep moving as I’m more about XC and going places than messing about in the woods.

Still have some water resistant shorts – they are a pretty good option, especially with 3/4 lycra underneath.

orangeorange
    Free Member

There is also a 3/4 length version of the MT500 shorts available,for even more protection from the elements

zippykona

I find cutting down waterproof trousers better than proper waterproof shorts.
    Cut downs are lighter , more breathable and comfier than my altura attacks.

iainc

I have a pair of full length MT500 trousers. I bought them for coaching, when lots of off the bike activity and minimal riding. The are prefect for that, but I wouldn’t t wear them if out for a proper ride.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Has anybody got a raceface chute jacket? Appreciate any feedback, looks a nice jacket and won’t be out of place worn in general.

tjagain

I wear waterproof trousers if its really raining hard. Works fine and keeps me dry.

shredlyjoe82
    Free Member

I have to join the fan of waterproof shorts club as people say they do rustle but have saved me from many soggy afternoons in the saddle I have both Endura MT500 and Polaris AM Flux that I rotate in the winter, tend to pair with padded 3/4 bibs.

Jacket wise I only tend to wear a hooded jacket whilst getting the bike out the van etc for riding I wear a packable waterproof which keeps the worst off and a couple of layers 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I was sceptical about how army surplus Gore Tex could be as good as purpose-made waterproof shorts, but it turns out they were better (for me anyway)…

Review: RAF surplus Gore Tex trousers/shorts

lardman
    Free Member

cheap army surplus GoreTex trousers, cut down to longish shorts, works fine for me. They ‘rustle’ a bit when pedalling, but it’s a small annoyance.
    No way to stay completely dry on an MTB in my experience.

crazyjenkins01

Love my MT500 sprays, great shorts. Wear them most of the time now tbh

molgrips
    Free Member

Does nobody wear water proof pants/trousers?

I do, sometimes, but only if I have to leave the house in pouring cold rain. In that situation I’m generally on the road though cos the trails are a total mess.

I’ve been using a pair of Berghaus cycling specific trousers for years and they’ve lasted, because they are not used frequently. I like trousers because I find the splattering of cold mud on my shins one of the least pleasant parts. Long socks would help that.

I find waterproof shorts and trousers slip down a lot, so I use some of these braces to hold them up. Work far better. Otherwise I end up sitting on the waterproof fabric of my Endura shorts instead of the toughened nylon bit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Tenn waterproof short, no they’re not waterproof largely because there’s two massive holes in them so your legs can go through.

They stop your arse getting soaked though which is lovely.

They’re expecially brillaint for uplift days like BPW when you might have to stand about in the rain.

hainman
    Free Member

I use Madison addict shorts,and like Nobeer,The weather up here in Bonnie Scotland is woeful,even in the Summer,I use a Decathlon Forclaz 400 jacket and its been amazing,£60 and made near enough same as the double the price bike named jackets,Seal skin socks and more importantly Merino wool socks,Not yet found a way of keeping the Mits dry,Sealskinz gloves are Pish,Latex surgical gloves are ok but eventually the sweat is so bad it pours out the gloves when you take them off

daern
    Free Member

I have Madison Addict waterproof trousers (nothing expensive) and a Gore Alp-X shell and between the two of them (and some GTX boots) I stay more or less dry regardless of the conditions. I certainly don’t wear the pants every ride and only on the MTB (road bike – MTFU) but when the weather is shocking and I do wear them, I’m always glad I did. I find that there’s something deeply satisfying about being out in god-awful conditions in “full wets” knowing that you’ll stay more or less dry all day.

Couple of notes: I’m tempted to get some waterproof shorts as, quite often, a dry arse is actually all you need. Any waterproof trousers / shorts don’t seem to last very long – my last ones were Gore Element and I destroyed them in a handful of rides, which was really disappointing and they were warrantied out.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve got some Endura waterproof shorts which held up for 2 wet, muddy winters but even with re-proofing, the backside is no longer waterproof. For really wet, cold days I have a pair of cheap walking waterproof trousers which have made the difference between sitting at home and getting out there for a ride.

z1ppy

Altura attack 3/4 shorts for me (& braces, which I wear all year round as cycle clothing belts are crap), as I found you just sweat in long trousers, and end up cold. TBH in the worst weather lycra can’t be beat, as they stay warmer even when wet, than in any trouser, and there no one out to see your shame…

epicyclo

Decent mudguards (not spray guards) solve most waterproofing issues because you only get the rain that falls on you, not the fire hose effect of the stuff flung off your tyres.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Any users of the following?Alpinestars All mountain jacket
    RaceFace Chute Jacket
    RaceFace Agent Short

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

I find cutting down waterproof trousers better than proper waterproof shorts.
    Cut downs are lighter , more breathable and comfier than my altura attacks.

Yeah I do this, bought some very cheap RAF surplus goretex waterproof trousers (they’re dark blue so doesnt have to be camo or anything) and cut them into shorts. They’re so lightweight and so waterproof and can just wear them over any other shorts. Also quite a good fit/cut surprisingly for biking.

jam-bo

Sweet Mudrides – eyewateringly expensive, but really really good. mine started to delaminate in a tiny patch in the seat area on their second winter after hundreds of rides. replaced under warranty no quibble by sweet.

DickBarton

Craft did some very good waterproof trousers for biking but they don’t any longer.

stumpy01

Hmmm. Those Tenn waterproof shorts look like they might be worth a look….!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Army waterproof cut off as long shorts. Tights under or knee warmers and neoprene calfe supports.

iainc

stumpy01 – Member
    Hmmm. Those Tenn waterproof shorts look like they might be worth a look….!

I have had a few pairs and they are great value. They last a full winter for me, with use a couple of times a week. The legs are quite narrow compared to the waist sizing, and they have big velcro waist adjusters, so if in doubt, size up.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘MTB Water proof Clothing’ is closed to new replies.