Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • MTB Two way Radios
  • Chunk
    Free Member

Anyone got any recommendations for two way radios for MTB. We regularly get 25+ out during the summer and they are handy, trouble is the last set we bought died and have been replaced a few times.

Looking for 4 x good quality, durable, waterproof (british summer), radios – good clear, quality reception, good battery life.

Any pointers appreciated.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

What range do you need them to work over and do you need more than one frequency?

Chunk
    Free Member

Range only need be a up to 5 miles, this may be one side of hill to other though, we just need to be able to talk to each other on all four. Durability, quality, more important than cost. We have already had a couple fail mid ride, mine while looking after the back then my mech died.

jam-bo

With unlicensed radios? Couple of km, line of sight. If your lucky.

pugster007
    Free Member

We use Motorola XTR446 at work. They have a good range throughout the building and machinery, tough and cheap to. 8 channels.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Use mobile phones. Seriously.

One side of a hill to another with a range of up to 5 miles? With a handheld device? Unlikely to happen. Especially if you’re near an urban area or somewhere with a busy RF environment.

allthegear
    Free Member

How important is it to you? If you are prepared to put in a bit of effort, take the amateur radio exam and get equipment that work on that. Much better power output and receiving equipment. Use of repeaters to go around hills.

It’s not hard and no morse needed!

Rachel

covertbaz
    Free Member

The new Motorola tlkr series are pretty good, I even have a set of the t50s brand new and sealed that I may part with, or I also have some T80s that have been unpackaged but are unused and I still have box etc

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Use mobile phones. Seriously.

Not if you’re at Glentress.

Chunk
    Free Member

Mobile phone signals in the back of beyond are no use and not exactly clip on and talk.

How important, not life or death but its organised club rides so some responsibility and its never good when people are wondering where others are that have had a mechanical/incident at the back.

Amateur radio exam – that aint going to happen, I have enough to do with day to day life and running the website, I just want to be looking aft the gate/rider at the back and be able to talk to the front.

From the suggestions what about reasonable radios, someone stands on top of the hill till the last radio arrives. Wouldnt they be able to act as both and act as repeater?

pugster – will take a look pal – after suggestions/recommendations. thanks.

Chunk
    Free Member

covertbaz – will look and get back to you – is some a set or do you have 4x?

mark90
    Free Member

I have some 4W US spec FRS/GMRS radios that give really good range, well compared to 0.5W PMR’s. Similar to these….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDLAND-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Km-FRS-GMRS-2-Way-Radios-/281070911910

Obviously with the power and frequencies being illegal in UK/Eurpoe, I only use them on US skiing trips and of course on the 0.5W unlicenced FRS frequencies 😉

Chunk
    Free Member

Yes – our weekend rides are normally in US 😉 – what is the impact of using these things in the UK, I would not like to knock out mountain rescue or emergency services etc but if its just cos you shouldnt then…….

mark90
    Free Member

The US frequencies are around 460MHZ, PMR are 446MHz, Mountain Rescue around 150MHz.

UK frequency allocations…

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/information/uk-fat/

Do here a surprising amount of chatter on the US frequencies when in the Alps, the range must be amazing 😀

Chunk
    Free Member

haha:)

jock-muttley

PMR also can stand for PRIVATE MOBILE RADIO… i.e. for business use… the licence is cheap (think it lasts 3 years) there is NO exam to take. Check out OFCOM for full details. Cheap radios too.

As for using US 4W 462.550 ~ 467.7125 MHz radios in the UK… just don’t OK. Just because these frequencies aren’t allocated in the UK doesn’t mean they are not being monitored (remember the UK is technically at war and under a high state of alert) and the people that could be monitoring these frequencies are not know for their sense of humour – and I’m not talking about OFCOM.

There is a reason there is an EXAM pure and simple do you understand stuff like harmonic frequencies or the way a radio signal can act? You may transmitting on 467MHz but someone just could be hearing you around the 900Mhz mark… which is getting close to Mobile Phone & more importantly some TETRAPOL frequencies.

Oh and Mountain Rescue isn’t just restricted to 150MHz.. they have multiple frequency allocations inc air – ground in the UHF band.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I use motorolas for shuttle running, 10km range, plenty of channels and as long as you’re on the same side of the mountain fine, a bit bulky, 100 euros a pair.

For shorter range and trail use I have quechua (decathlon), 5km, limited channels so they can suffer interference (usually paragliders), nice and small, 20 euros a pair.

From the suggestions what about reasonable radios, someone stands on top of the hill till the last radio arrives. Wouldnt they be able to act as both and act as repeater?

This can work.

Chunk
    Free Member

Jock – very interesting – thanks for pointer – will check it out
    amv – ill take a look – thanks!

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with or heard a bad word about motorola over the years for kit.

jock-muttley

Chunk its PMR or PBR (private BUSINESS radio) but you dont need to be a business.

you pays ur money you get allocated a small frequency range (u need a UK wide allocation not geographic) it used to be about £27 for a 3 year licence. Radios are around £50 – £100 and dependant on band (VHF for range UHF for quality) u should see 5 to 20 miles line of sight. weather will alter it as will stuff like wet leaves and trees.

Alternatively seriously consider sitting your foundation amateur radio exam, it will cost you less and mean that you can operate up to 25w power on certain bands. It will cost peanuts for a lifetime licence, the course and exam can be sat in about 4 – 6 hrs and you and your mates can sit it all together. And you have to be REALLY special to fail it.

25W & a licence mean you can use repeaters & cool stuff like that which will give a simple handheld radio a 100mile + radius range.

You need more info just shout

satchm00
    Free Member

Motorola are pretty good. There is loads out there though. I haven’t touched this stuff in years now I work with Tetra.

This looks reasonable,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003Z11QTA/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=11066127245&ref=asc_df_B003Z11QTA

If you want waterproof buy a case to be honest.

I noted you said reception remember its always down to terrain & conditions, you’ll never get it 100%.

Just go online window shopping and stick to your budget 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I used to see a few teams using them at 24 hour races. They looked like simple affairs and seemed to work. Good idea I thought.

allthegear
    Free Member

Edit – sorry I was wrong.

Chunk
    Free Member

Thanks again for the replies. I will take it in properly tommorrow at work – busy day today. Its for club rides, we have 150+ paid up members with anywhere between 20-40 out in summer. Its just a case of covering the front middle and back.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘MTB Two way Radios’ is closed to new replies.