Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • MTB SPD Shoes – Velcro vs Ratchety Thing
  • Jamie
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on some new mtb shoes to go on a cyclolcololololcross bike, and have it narrowed down to these two:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xc30-spd-mountain-bike-shoes/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m088-spd-mountain-bike-shoes-wide-fit/

Is there any major bonus of the ratchet type fasteners, over velcro? Price diff is about £7.

…I should add, that fit > fastening method, and they both fit ok.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Go for velcro. Ratchets get jammed with grit and you cant get the things off.

Jamie
    Free Member

Go for velcro. Ratchets get jammed with grit and you cant get the things off.

I did wonder that, George, but then wondered why would they persist in making them?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got some shoes the same as those but Specialized and got the ratchet type as when I tried them on in the shop I could get the ratchet tighter. I do tighten the ratchet for tricky climbs when I pull up more. Never ever had an issue with the ratchets getting gunked up, even after being fully submerged in thick mud. I do give them the occasional squirt of GT85 or WD40 and they’ve been fine.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ratchets are a lot easier to adjust when riding (you do it more often then you think, when it’s that easy), and don’t wear out.

Had to replace a pair of my specialized shoes the other week cause the velcro tabs were so worn they wouldn’t grip any more, where as the ratchets still worked as they did when they were new.

Never had serious ratchet/grit problems, using them for 4 or so years now.

LoCo
    Free Member

Have the ratchet ones a above, they’re great, as use dx spd ones in the depths of winter slop

J0N
    Free Member

Ratchets all the way. Easier to adjust (one step at a time) by loosening as your feet gets hot or moves about and you want it tighter. Never had them jam and not had to replace anything. Ran for two years now. Commuted in them 5 days a week for a year of that.

rootes1

ratchet – far better than velco.. never had a ratchet jam wit crud either.

JoB
    Free Member

Go for ratchets. Velcro gets jammed with mud and you cant get the things to secure. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I have velcro and they are okay but next time I would go for ratchet. For £7 its a no brainer.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Ratches/Boa are more pro, which should answer your question.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ratchet as you g can adjust one handed on the bike in winter with gloves on

Mine has never jammed – though it sees only road use

ratherbeintobago

Ratchets. Don’t get clogged all that easily, and unlike Velcro (on Shimano shoes at least) they’re replaceable when they wear out.

mrmo
    Free Member

go ratchet, my sidis do occasionally get jammed by grass, stones etc getting under the release. But velcro wears out quicker, isn’t as secure.

mikey74
    Free Member

Another vote for ratchets. I find they provide a far more secure and adjustable fit.

boblo
    Free Member

Ooo someone mentioned boa? What they like then? Just bought some shoes with boa (not really understanding what it was…. ).

Junkyard
    Free Member

boa is a dial system used in ski stuff as well

Imagine you have laces but you tighten them by turning a dial
    As above you can also use them in winter with gloves but one dial does the whole shoe
    Better than the ratchet thought the ratchet shoes i have have two velcro tabs and one ratcher

Really like and rate mine tbh

DezB
    Free Member

Velcro every time. Simple and it just works.

Ratchets are a faff .. got rid of the first ratchet shoes I bought and went back to Northwave 3 velcro straps.

Can’t help but wonder how people manage to get velcro straps clogged with mud when they are done up! Never happened to mine.

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry for the digression …. How do they (boa) last? Salomon did (do?) silly string with a ratchet thing on their xa’s that wear out PDQ when used in anger (i.e. not just in the pub).

glupton1976
    Free Member

DezB – does it really surprise you that some people on here can’t work Velcro?

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 @glupton

Junkyard
    Free Member

How do they (boa) last? Salomon did (do?) silly string with a ratchet thing on their xa’s that wear out PDQ when used in anger (i.e. not just in the pub)

Think i got circa 5 years out of my Lakes ones which were getting about 4 days use for 8 months a year [ Winter shoe so perfect for the UK 😉

The laces snapped eventually and it once jammed closed – freed up easily enough with some lube [ it was all we had in the car]

Does not really matter as there is a lifetime guarantee and they replace everything free so zero risk tbh

boblo
    Free Member

Ta. Bit of a moot point really as I’ve already bought them. Nice to get some positive feedback tho.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I really like and would get it in every shoe if I could afford it

Just works tbh

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Had a pair of Sidi’s for years with velcro and ratchet combo. Had to replace the velco a few times. Lost a ratchet due to the grub screw and was easily replaced.

Have the above shoe with guess what ratchet. As good as the Sidis, though have the mesh top.

Noticed there are two holes for the grub screw, so that you adjust or in winter wear thicker socks etc and let it out a bit.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive got the ratchet ones. Velcro ones come clogged with mud and don’t close, not had a problem with ratchet.

I had some Specialized Sports before (velcro) the Shimano feel cheap in comparison, and don’t breath half as well, which is bad for summer but good for winter.

aa
    Free Member

velcro is lighter
    ratchets enables a more controlable fit.
    I’ve broke ratchets and worn out velcro.

Which do you like the look of more?

Scapegoat

Velcro. Ratchets weigh more. I have a pair of spesh carbons. If ratchets were better they’d have them 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Unanimous then 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The expensive Spesh carbons have ratchets:-

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/shoes/mtb-shoes/pro-mtb

I’ve got these. They’re brilliant. After 2 years of riding in all conditions, after a hose down they look good as new.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/shoes/mtb-shoes/comp-mtb

Scapegoat

Mine say expert on them, so that settles it 😀

brakes
    Free Member

ratchets are so much better. especially for fine tuning the fit over the course of a ride where the shoe/ your feet will swell/ shrink. but also over time as the shoes stretch.

make sure you can buy replacement buckles though as they do wear out eventually – it’s normally the buckle that does rather than the strap. I’ve also smashed one off that needed to be replaced.

Jamie
    Free Member

boa is a dial system used in ski stuff as well

Like Puma Disc?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘MTB SPD Shoes – Velcro vs Ratchety Thing’ is closed to new replies.