Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • MTB Spain, which company?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so me and Mr MC are thinking (along with a bunch of mates) of going MTBing in Spain next year. There are loads of MTB Spain style companies out there. Who do you recommend? What experiences have you had? What prices, did you find it value for money?

We went on an organised tour to Morocco in April 2009 and loved every minute of it. Thought it was brilliant value for money. There may be a bunch of different level riders, ie some girlies there that want to do have a days ride but aren't quite so techincally minded as some of the boys. Can the companies cater for these different riding styles? Put it this way normally between 10-20 of us go to Morzine for PdS where we all know the trails inside out and back to front (been there the last 6 years) which is useful if slower, less experienced riders want to turn back. Can the Spanish companies cater for this?

also looking forward to seeing your pics.

crazy-legs

Can recommend Freeride Spain, excellent trails, guiding, food, accomodation. They'll cater for pretty much anyone, the holiday isn't set in stone at all. They're also pretty amenable to times etc that you go, it doesn't always have to be Sat – Sat for example.

Will dig out some pics in a bit..

soulrider
    Free Member

I am going to Spain for the first time later this month.
    I am going with 2 mates who have been twice before – the first time they went it was with Biking Andalucia – the trails were great they were less sure of the guide.
    The second time they went it was with Ride Sierra Nevada who we are all going with again this time.
    He does Transfers, Accom, Breakfast and Lunch all for a sensible price.
    Evening meal is in the Local Spanish village where prices are reasonable for beer and food – a couple of the bars just put out Tapas for you when you order a few beers – therefore no need to buy food 😉

A bunch of other mates have been repeat customers with Singletracks.

Mackem

Spain has plenty of good places to ride, for all sorts of levels so pretty much anywhere you go will be good. How important is the apres-bike stuff to you?

You could go to the costa del sol, which is what it is, some people like it, some not.
    A lot of the companies are based in the middle of nowhere which is peaceful but limiting if you want rest days, sightseeing, restaurants, pubs etc.

Now, I'll admit to bias because it's where I live now and Doug, the owner, has become a friend, but for a combo of riding and off-bike life it's hard to beat the Basque country. Ride in the mountains then surf/sit on a beach then go to a great restaurant, not a bad day imo.

http://www.basquemtb.com

stevomcd
    Free Member

Went with Switchbacks a few years back and really enjoyed. They have a few separate riding groups each day, so can cope with different levels.

Hoping to get back there this October, bit of a busman's holiday these days!

oxnop
    Free Member

Ciclo Montana – we are going for a second time in october.

Kahurangi

I'm booked with Switch-Backs for the 1st week in October. It ight be a bit more DH orientated than I'm used to, but I hope to push my boundaries a little and I'm buying some big skill-compensating enhancing tyres to get used to for it 8)

Partly Stevo's recommendation when I asked a while ago and couldn't make the alpine season, partly pot-luck. Never been on a biking holiday before, so will share afterwards

badnewz
    Free Member

I'd go for joyriders, I think they have had women specific weeks in the past, and its not macho type company. They have a wide range of trails, to pick and mix from. Ive been twice and found it great value for money, especially the accommodation.

Dougal
    Free Member

Another big-up for Freeride Spain here. Folks are super nice, very flexible. Can't speak for the trails, but the roads around there are awesome if you're into that sort of thing.

pj11
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Ciclo Montana here.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Badnewz, I can cope with macho types 😉 when I went to Morocco there was a bunch of 8 bloke who find't like that I was quicker than them!!! I don't mind chilling in evening just want good riding with a variety of options for different skills! Beach sounds good tho.

footflaps

Been with Ciclo Montana and highly rate them.

giantjason
    Free Member

another happy customer with ciclo montana

steelytail
    Free Member

Joyriders have a good range of rides from easy to hard. I know they do some rides where you can get dropped off further along the trail to shorten the day.
    The accommodation is first rate.

stugus
    Free Member

I went with switch-backs last year and can't rate it highly enough. Bloody lovely part of the world with some fantastic trails, quality accommodation and a tailored riding schedule.
    Perhaps drop Michael an email and see what he can do for the less experienced people, our group was generally pretty experienced but there seems endless trails available and most importantly, very flexible.
    🙂

wool

Ciclo Montania here to fantastic

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Stunning singletrack rides during the day & fantastic après-bike on the coast at night.
    http://www.sierracycling.com since 1992.
    We have hundreds of verifiable glowing comments on our guest book. http://www.guestbookcentral.com/guestbook.cfm?guestbook=52342

Jaz1979
    Free Member

look at Sierra Cycling – http://www.sierracycling.com

Been out there with them 5 times now, and soon to be booking my 6th for May 2011.
    You are right on the beach, with ice cream places and bars around the corner 🙂
    Expect it to be very relaxed

footstomper
    Free Member

look at Sierra Cycling – http://www.sierracycling.com

Been out there with them 5 times now, and soon to be booking my 6th for May 2011.
    You are right on the beach, with ice cream places and bars around the corner
    Expect it to be very relaxed

Going out this Saturday for 2 weeks, am really looking forward 😀

Munqe-chick

Will let you know on return how good it is 😀

Mike_T

6 of us have done 3 trips to Nevada, the last 2 with Ciclo cant rate them highly enough

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ciclo 8)

Fat-boy-fat

A shout for Ride Sierra Nevada. Sean is a top bloke and the riding he picks out is fantastic. Also, the small village you stay in is lovely and the beer (Alhambra Riserva) is top notch.

ianv
    Free Member

Switchbacks are ace both for the all mountain stuff at Bubion and the downhill stuff near Malaga.

stumpy01

Been with Ciclo Montana 3x now and it’s always been great. They will cater for all riding types, just be prepared for ups as well as downs. They do an uplift day too which is good and also a 2 day Granada trip.
    The accommodation is nice with plenty of space to chill, a decent kitchen, pool, terraces area with pool table. Breakfast and dinner is included with a daily kitty for lunch/coffee/ice cream!

They are based in a small village so don’t expect to be raving at night although there are a couple of nearby bars.

Of course Mark & Jacky are the perfect hosts, which really makes the holiday & Matt is generally on hand for a Wed massage if required!

Trekster

There may be a bunch of different level riders, ie some girlies there that want to do have a days ride but aren’t quite so techincally minded as some of the boys. Can the companies cater for these different riding styles?

I would suggest mailing all of the above providers and ask them if they can cater for your groups needs.
    Another consideration is the groups sleeping arrangements and who can cater for the different combinations.
    Something else to consider is flight times and transfer times. Some of the above take more than 2hrs driving up mountainous roads 🙄

Alan @ Sierra is on the end of the Costas with a good train sercice running all the way to Malaga for days out and shopping for the girlies 😆

doug @ basque will be my next biking hol, if and when I can save enough, another grandchild has just arrived 😆

Bubion has a great pub tucked away up a back street, make sure Mike & co do not leave that little gem till the last night 😉

If you choose to take the Sierra nevada mountain route take your hiking boots, lots of nice walking for a day off.

Harris
    Free Member

Ciclo all the way for me also.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ve been out to doug@basquemtb.com twice now. Its a fantastic part of the world, and there is load of great riding to be had. Food/culture/beach/surf/shopping is also good. I’ll be going next year too.

rc200f8
    Free Member

been with Ciclo 9 or 10 times now, always been fantastic.

footstomper
    Free Member

Will let you know on return how good it is

Well (Munqe-chick) as promised on my return I would let you know what it was like at Sierra Cycling 😀

I was a little apprehensive at first as my Missus was still suffering from a lack of confidence after having a bad off 😥 at Coed Y Brenin a week before we arrived at Alans, but this was quickly dispelled 🙂 as she was taken onto easy local trails to give her a feel of the type of riding we would encounter over the following weeks.

The host’s Alan and Mary run a very relaxed, friendly and professional riding holiday with excellent facilities (2×4 bedroom villas, swimming pool, beach within 100 metres 8) and an endless amount of Restaurants).
    The fridge is constantly stocked with free Beer, Wine, Brut, Cans Pop, Milk and there are nibbles like chocy biscuits, peanuts and other stuff, If you do run out a quick word with Alan and he arrives with new supplies. Mornings at breakfast are just as good with fresh bread, fruit and cereals and Marys superbly cooked english fry up to get you ready for the days cycling. 😀

Now to the riding, there is something to suit all styles from Easy Fire Track & Flowing Forest Trails, to masses of Fast Singletrack and plenty of Rocky Technical Decents.

The Guides (Jonny & Anthony) both superb guys will tailor the riding to the groups ability which sometimes means splitting into 2 groups for a morning ride, then maybe meeting for lunch and everyone riding together in the afternoon. This isn’t a bad thing even if you are much better than others in the group as there is loads of steep technical drops and runs which go off the fire track and can be done whilst the less techy people ride aroud and meet you at the bottom.

So in a Nut Shell it is Definitely worth a visit for some fantastic Riding with Great Guides and a Fantastic Location to boot.

10 out of 10 (We will be going back).

senorj

ciclomontana.

accept no substitute.

uplink
    Free Member

I went with ciclomontana a couple or 3 years ago & thoroughly enjoyed it

It was very technical though, so worth investigating more if some of your party don’t enjoy that sort of riding

Sierracycling is superb too & probably has the best location for non-biking activities

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘MTB Spain, which company?’ is closed to new replies.