Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • MTB Shoes
  • spillippe
    Free Member

Recommend me a good quality MTB shoe to use for endurance races. There’s far too many out there to choose from…

Mister-P
    Free Member

What is your budget?

senorj

shimano work for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Got some of the 2011 S-Works MTB shoes on Sunday, replaced some 2009 ones, much lighter. Very comfy indeed. And they’re white, so I now go 6% quicker.

4ndyB
    Free Member

£50 ish, Specialized BG Comp shoes, very comfy & wider than Shimano in the toe box area so you generally don’t have to go for the next size up like with a lot of brands

thomthumb
    Free Member

endurance races

one that is comfortable. for long periods of time.

i like specialized.

pixelmix
    Free Member

The mid range Shimano stuff is good for me. Mine are starting to fall apart, but they are 2 years old and done a lot of miles.

You can narrow it down by including or excluding the ones with ratchets depending on your preference. I have velcro only shoes, but fancied some with a ratchet until I saw my friend unable to undo his on a freezing cold wet day when all he wanted to do was get his shoes off when back at the car.

AdamML
    Free Member

I had a pair of Specialized BG Comps until the ratchet fell apart and no-one could sell me a spare.

Replaced them with a pair of Lake MX170s for £30 from fleabay. Brilliant shoes and they look rather smart as well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Spesh BG here too. I prefer the ratchet type. No problems with mine and more consistent tension than velcro

MSP

Sidi for me, 1/2 click adjustment on the ratchet easy to adjust on the fly.
    Specialized felt like the ratchet strap was cutting across the top of my foot rather than holding the shoe in place.
    Shimano are an instrument of torture with their stupid grid patern inside the sole (absolute madness).
    I have a mate who swears by carnac.

So try a load on and buy the ones that fit you not the ones that get recommended on a forum.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

MSP, how do the Sidis compare to the Spesh in terms of width and fit and insole shape etc.?

I have been tempted by the Sidis but seemingly nowhere near me has them to try.

Mister-P
    Free Member

May I throw the new Giro shoes into the mix too?

This isn’t really narrowing it down for you is it?

MSP

Hard to compare exactly, the spesh forefoot is wider, but the spesh upper uses a stiffer imitation leather and doesn’t adapt to your feet as well, which rubs if not a perfect fit.
    The sidis narrow to a point too much requiring a size larger for me, but overall much more comfortable (for me). The sidis are useless for walking on, the sole is made from slick plastic I have nearly died several times just going through the front door with my bike.

I would say that the spesh uppers come straight up from the insole, and expect you foot to fit, the sidi uppers wrap around your foot and adapt to your foot. Does that maker sense? its hard to describe.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Had specialized sport BG, now have shimano M166 and fine them much comfier. Higher end shimano have a better insole which is worth it imo.

yoda
    Free Member

These are what I chose.
    Very comfy, did the peaks in them last year and were much comfier than my Specialized on the rocky walking( I know, I know, I should be running) sections.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

aP
    Free Member

I generally use sidi shoes and ran walked the 3 peaks last year with a couple of moments of near panic on the particularly shiny steep stone steps. This year I’ll be using an old old pair of northwave shoes which have a rubber sole instead.

njee20
    Free Member

I found my Sidis (Dragon SRS) really comfy off the bike, slipper like in fact, but horrible on the bike, flexy soles and rubbish insoles gave me cramp, hot spots etc, and they just never felt comfortable. They’re a much softer upper than the Spesh ones fo sho, but after 4 pairs of S-Works shoes I wouldn’t go back myself.

traildog
    Free Member

Far too many is good because everyones feet are different. Try as many as you can. I really liked the Giro ones I tried in the store, but they were too expensive for my current finances…

uplink
    Free Member

I like Sidis & have a couple of pairs but the cost now is prohibitive for me to replace my MTB shoes for another pair

I’ve just bought a pair of Specialized BG Comps from Evans for £65, which I think is a great deal & I know they’re comfy for me

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-comp-mtb-shoes-ec017522

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘MTB Shoes’ is closed to new replies.