• This topic has 43 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • MTB retreating into the closet…?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

The correlation thread got me wondering if anyone else here find themselves slightly embarrassed to admit that they are a mountain biker? Been finding that I’m reluctant to talk about it to non bikers these days and will most likely mention road riding if the subject of riding comes up. Was never an issue until maybe a couple of years ago. Probably not helped by rapidly approaching 40 and working in engineering/IT 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

No. I can’t imagine caring enough about what other people think to have that attitude.

GrahamS

I generally just say I enjoy “cycling”.

Though that’s partly because its been several years since my bike saw a “mountain”.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HermanShake
    Free Member

I enthuse about it, why should we hide that we’re into something interesting? A brief account of what we get to see and experience and others seem excited too, especially when I talk about night riding!

Maybe you’re not selling it well?

What’s to be embarrassed about? I think there are many riders (if not the majority in fact in your age group). Do you feel it’s perceived as immature for your age?

I’d question whether I’d want to converse with someone I had to feel self conscious around.

wrecker
    Free Member

No. I can’t imagine caring enough about what other people think to have that attitude.

That’s money right there.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m approaching 40 and work in IT but I can’t see why I should be embarrassed about MTBing, it’s vaguely cool if anything (compared with shite like 5-a-side footie and running which seem to be the only forms of exercise my colleagues get).

MrSmith
    Free Member

why should we hide that we’re into something interesting

mtb’ing isn’t interesting to those who don’t cycle.

GW
    Free Member

I’m not a “mountainbiker” and don’t particularly enjoy “cycling”.
    I absolutely love riding bikes tho and wouldn’t ever be embarrassed to tell anyone I like riding mtbs, BMXs or roadbikes (most’ll already know as I’m out in the street pissing about on one so often). in my 40s now and have always been the same.
    never understood grown adults being embarassed about doing what they enjoy, OP you sure you actually do enjoy it?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

MTBing, it’s vaguely cool if anything

😆

Mintman
    Free Member

Nope, happy to tell people what my hobbies are and have no interest in whether they think me or my hobbies are cool or not.

It’s part of what makes me.

corroded
    Free Member

No. I can’t imagine caring enough about what other people think

+1

OP doesn’t say what it is he finds embarrassing about mtbing: the ostentatious flaunting of disposable income on over-engineered bicycles and frivolous use of free time??

HermanShake
    Free Member

It depends on how you discuss it. If I mention being out in new areas of natural beauty when the seasons change, seeing animals and the humour of occasional clumsiness people seem to be engaged. If I talk about the latest part I’ve upgraded they start dropping off.

Do: talk about something they can relate to.

Don’t: talk about headset standards, CNC, fatbikes, ti, or other nerdy details. They can’t connect with it.

Anything can be interesting, you just need to understand how to talk about it!

5thElefant
    Free Member

I can understand riding on the road being embarrassing, but off-road? Nah. Can’t see it.

GW
    Free Member

tell that to all the grannies who’ve enjoyed watching Danny Mac’s vid on you tube!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I think it’s summed up for me by a couple of posts from the other thread. When I started mtb some 20 years ago it was…

mountain biking used to be ordinary folk going into the hills and valleys with their bikes to have a pleasant ride and take in some scenery.

Just somewhere else to ride a bike, get fit, and see what you could ride up, over and down. Now i suspect this probably true…

mate.. mountain bikers have always..always.. been thought of as very uptight nerdy bell-ends by the rest of the world..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Don’t: talk about headset standards, CNC, fatbikes, ti, or other nerdy details. They can’t connect with it.

Thankfully someone invented STW to save the general public the pain of such detail!

never understood grown adults being embarassed about doing what they enjoy, OP you sure you actually do enjoy it?

Love it, spend most of my free time riding bikes, and the rest of it reading about riding bikes 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

Compared to what?! Trainspotting,badminton
    ,syncronized swimming even the golf is cooler these days.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    That’s money right there.

Yep.

5thElefant
    Free Member

GlitterGary – Member

Was it ever cool? Hard to imagine riding a bicycle could be cool for anyone over 7.

Nick

There seems to be a lot of responses affirming this sentiment.

Why is it then that for a hell of a lot of people this forum is all about getting others to validate almost everything they do?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think it was ever cool, but i don’t think it was uncool either back in the day. It’s now sad to see a pastime I love being described as less cool than golf and popular with nerdy bell ends.

DezB
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    GlitterGary – Member

Bit of a strange way to quote GG LOL’ING at someone saying MTBing is cool, don’t you think?

Personally, I have no idea what the OP is blabbing on about.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why is it then that for a hell of a lot of people this forum is all about getting others to validate almost everything they do?

I can’t speak for others, so I’m not sure, but I don’t think I’ve read much that fits that model. You do see some people on here seeking some sort of validation, but most just post what they like and invariably get a mix of answers.

mrblobby
    Free Member

+1

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Don’t: talk about headset standards, CNC, fatbikes, ti, or other nerdy details. They can’t connect with it”

Shit I ride bikes and can’t connect with that. Isn’t this perhaps what the OP is taking about, mountain biking used to be about get out not on the road, these days some people ride mtb’s becuase its ‘cool’ ^

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thankfully someone invented STW the Chat Forum to save the un-nerdy amongst us general public the pain of such detail!

wrecker
    Free Member

I have no idea. More to the point, I don’t care.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+2

It’s just riding bikes isn’t it? The same I did when I was a kid, the same I’ll be doing when I’m 70, hopefully.

noteeth
    Free Member

Hard to imagine riding a bicycle could be cool for anyone over 7.

This is me aged 7 – and even at the age of 35, it’s still my default setting.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Noteeth, that grin, now that’s what it’s all about.

epicyclo

coffeeking – Member
    ‘Why is it then that for a hell of a lot of people this forum is all about getting others to validate almost everything they do?’
    I can’t speak for others, so I’m not sure, but I don’t think I’ve read much that fits that model. You do see some people on here seeking some sort of validation, but most just post what they like and invariably get a mix of answers.

+1

I’m always interested in seeing other people’s bikes, especially if they have modified them or done something interesting. That applies even if I have no interest in owning/riding a similar bike.

I also like the details of long trips in the mountains. Good for ideas for places to go and a headsup on conditions, eg I’ve learned enough about the WHW to cross it off my list of must do 🙂

Duggan

Let’s face it, apart from on here nobody really gives a sh*t either way

Sancho
    Free Member

I’d be more embarrased to tell people I work in IT.

Biking is ace, just ride and dont worry about it, its only on forums that you get all the hand wringing and nonsense, in the real world most people are just happy riding their bikes.

noteeth
    Free Member

Noteeth, that grin, now that’s what it’s all about.

Plus, I still had all my front teeth. 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Biking is ace, just ride and dont worry about it, its only on forums that you get all the hand wringing and nonsense, in the real world most people are just happy riding their bikes.

Funnily enough it’s only since being on here that I’ve started to think about it!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Sancho – Member
    I’d be more embarrased to tell people I work in IT.

😆
    Ain’t that the truth……

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I generally just say I enjoy “cycling”.

+1 Most people know what cycling is, even if they don’t do it.

IT is broad church. No, I can’t fix your PC. But I can design your space mission.

Had an amusing incident with a pretty lady border guard at Munich airport – she asked what I was doing in the country and about my work. So I told her and she went visibly oooh-ieee 😆 She looked really pretty in her uniform too 😀 It made my week.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Believe that in Germany “engineer” is a title that’s still held in reasonably high regards, unlike here in the UK.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

if anyone pokes fun just offer to take them out one day and scare the sh1t out of them…

themountaingoat
    Free Member

My non cycling chums think its a bit nerdy, especially after picking up my copy of singletrack magazine and laughing at the articles and the tone of it . Sod em I dont care!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘MTB retreating into the closet…?’ is closed to new replies.