Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MTB on footpaths in Italy
  • paul4stones

Just back from a trip to Northern Italy and we spent some time wandering about on their footpath system. A bit on E5 made me wonder whether this can be ridden and what the rules are. We did see one chap on a bikepacking Surly above San Georgio (north of Verona) but I didn’t get chance to ask. Also what about bivvying? The Italians don’t seem to do camping like we do – lots of caravans with sheds built around them – but would bivvying be actively discouraged or is it tolerated if you arrive late and leave early?

I did see a thread about using these trans european routes and about the Trans Provence RoW but does anyone know about Italy specifically?

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t really help specifically in the mountains but we drove round Europe in a van wild camping and we didn’t get hassle anywhere except in Italy where it happened a few times. I’m sure once you get away from people it shouldn’t be an issue but you may need to hide a bit. Arrive late/leave early sounds like a good plan.

devash
    Free Member

I’m currently living in Italy (Lake Maggiore) and its very MTB friendly. Never had any hassle from walkers when riding on trails / footpaths like you get back home.

Can’t really help you with the camping situation though. When we’ve been camping its been to designated campsites. The national parks have a good mountain hut network where you can book ahead for a night. I doubt you’d be allowed to wild camp many places. Many national parks in Europe seem to be against this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ndthornton
    Free Member

You will be fine – its only England that has its head up its arse with respect to footpaths

Dave
    Free Member

We (Singletrack) took some Italians bivvying on our Bavarian trip. They thought it was ace and couldn’t wait to do it in Italy.

Does that help?

paul4stones

Err, possibly. 🙂

I did find this site which has some pictures of what I’m talking about. In fact that Ogre could be the one I saw.
    http://www.bikepacking.it/en/bikepacking-unknown

When walking we lost the trail a bit and were following another, unmarked, path and I was wishing I’d brushed up on the rules before setting out. Loads of these paths looked ace for mtb though.

rickmeister

just had a week in bormio and had absolutely no problems. bit of mutual respect and politeness worked wonders. the whole area was very bike friendly..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MTB on footpaths in Italy’ is closed to new replies.