• This topic has 66 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by m0rk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • MTB Olympics this weekend – who's going?
  • chipps

Apologies if someone’s started a similar thread, but I couldn’t see one.

So, who’s going on which day then? I’ve got a ticket for Saturday, but not Sunday. I’m going to be in the ‘unaccredited media’ coffee and wifi room that Essex County Council have kindly set up for us lot.

Hope to bump into some of you lot in there on Saturday though. And I’ll be hanging out by the (school) gates on the Sunday as you all go in. I’ll happily accept Tweets and texts from the men’s event too. 🙂

Mounty_73

We are going the ladies event on Saturday, heading down tomorrow for the weekend.

Really looking forward to it as I have absolutely loved the Olympics so far!!! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Tickets? Have you tried getting TICKETS lately!?!?!

chipps

And any suggestions for a good local pub in Hadleigh/Rayleigh on the Saturday night welcomed…

tinsy
    Free Member

Dunno if its of any use to anyone but I have 2 childrens tickets spare for a 15 year old and a 12, not sure how they check these things at the event.

tinsy
    Free Member

Chipps, what kind of pub?

Some nice ones in Old Leigh (The Billet would be my choice), short walk from station, if you want a bit more life then Leigh Broadway is a short walk uphill from the old town.

Not much in Hadleigh, maybe the Woodmans I think it is, posh nosh too, but Rayleigh has some nice pubs, Paul Pry is OK, some others in the high street but not sure what theyre like.

retro83
    Free Member

I’m there on the Sunday.

As for pubs, I don’t know Hadleigh or Rayleigh, but if you can get to the Viper in Mill Green they do some nice ales plus there are some dirt jumps about 50 meters up the road. 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

I used to live near the Viper, excellent pub lots of cyclists there, even had a cycle kit with “Viper” on it made… But its a long shlep from Hadleigh for a pint.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, mens on Sunday.

Dunno if its of any use to anyone but I have 2 childrens tickets spare for a 15 year old and a 12, not sure how they check these things at the event.

Tinsy – which day?

aP
    Free Member

There Saturday and Sunday.
    Which means 2 nights in Southend – gulp.
    A pint afterwards on Saturday somewhere pleasant, sounds pleasant!

tinsy
    Free Member

Kids tickets are for Sunday!

plumber
    Free Member

I’m going Sunday,

I have one spare £20 ticket adult for Sunday if anyone wants it

Plum

bigdawg
    Free Member

chipps – find glenn horton of hadleigh MTB club on facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/#!/glenn.horton.16

Im sure they’ll be more than happy to recomend some pubs / bars (or more to the point which ones to stay away from)

TiRed

Going both days. Sat with the boys and mrs dj. Boys should be wearing their Team GB cycling Jerseys.

Sunday I’m going with either Son1 or someone more deserving, as I only have two tickets.

As for kids tickets… I think it is only the PRICE that is different as my canoe tickets say nothing about being childrens. Don’t think the MTB ones do either.

bigdawg
    Free Member

as others have said old leigh will prob be the place to be, albeit a bit crowded

strike
    Free Member

Plumber – YGM! I’ll have the ticket if it’s for the full race, please.

lindyloo66
    Free Member

Old Leigh or Leigh town itself is great for food and drink.

I’m only ten mins ride away from the venue and desperately after tickets too for either days – need two if anyone knows of any going spare 🙂

chipps

Plumber YGM too…

xc-steve
    Free Member

Am there for the Sat, should be pretty good what with it being spectator friendly and all! Will be interested to see how different the atmosphere is compared to a World Cup/BMBS race.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ll take down my ticket offer for now as I have 2 requests via email for it

Plum

Evesie
    Free Member

Me & MrsE are there on the Saturday for the womens event, we are only a few miles away so will be pedalling there. Sadly no tickets for Sunday though – if anyone has any spares we are open to any offers tho…. Where are all the peeps staying that are travelling down? The area is lacking in any campsites apart from the Olympics only site just outside Basildon. I’d second Old Leigh for any refreshments needed in the evenings. Come & enjoy sunny Essex everyone & find out that it’s not flat!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this have been in the Wanted forum? 😀

chipps

I’m staying at the deluxe Premier Inn in Rayleigh… Woo!

andyl
    Free Member

Turns out I am going to be in Essex now on Sunday visiting my dad after spending saturday in London. Wonder if it will be worth popping by to see if anyone is selling unwanted tickets outside.

tommo999
    Free Member

Got tickets for Sunday, 4 of us going, can’t wait.

tinsy
    Free Member

Theres a pub right next door to the Premier Inn… The Weir, its a Harvester.

Best bet from there & walkable is the Woodmans, take the Rayleigh road towards Hadleigh and its next to 2 mini roundabouts, decent scoff too but quiet, or the other direction toward Rayleigh is the Paul Pry cheaper grub.

Or just get a Taxi to Leigh.

Evesie
    Free Member

If you are bringing a bike – Premier Inn is a 10 minute pedal to Hadleigh if you want to avoid the expected queues, there’s a few nice twiddly bits of woodland singletrack in the area too if you want to take a longer route. Paul Pry pub is a few minutes walk up toward Rayleigh.

chipps

I might have to dig out the scruffy fixie for the ride then. Might not be best for the singletrack though 🙂

Thanks for the tips. Anyone fancy an STW Massiv beer on the Saturday evening?

tinsy
    Free Member

Groan…. I am going away and missing the Olympic MTB in my own back yard… what a ferkin dumbass.
    Could have got a decent loop in as well at some stage.

Have a nice weekend Chipps.

Pridds

Got a ticket for the Saturday, cannot wait.

footflaps

I’ll be there Saturday, just bought a Nikon x2 TeleConverter for my 70-200 f/2.8 in case I can’t get close enough…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Now the forecast is looking good, I’ll be taking up an offer of a ticket saturday.

Ambrose

Team Ambrose will be there in all our Olympic branded finery.

Cheeks
    Free Member

Five of us going Saturday, can’t wait.

tollah
    Free Member

Yup heading down on Saturday too 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Got tickets for Sunday. Looking forward to it! 🙂

london_lady
    Free Member

A friend has recommended the crooked billet pub in leigh on sea…..
    http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/thecrookedbilletleighonsea/

Edric64
    Free Member

And I’ll be hanging out by the (school) gates on the Sunday as you all go in.

With a large bag of sweets sweating profusely no doubt? 😯

DrP

Watching on Sunday – staying over at the premier inn in Basildon Saturday eve……

Anyone else staying there???

DrP

tinsy
    Free Member

Basvegas!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘MTB Olympics this weekend – who's going?’ is closed to new replies.