Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • MTB Marathon racing, what to expect?
  • si77

Looking for my next challenge (after the upcoming one), and considering trying a MTB Marathon race in the UK. Will be in Veteran class. Never really raced before, but reasonably fit at the moment (not sure if that’s a humble brag or not?). What should I expect?  Finish last and get lapped by more than half the field or will there be a wide spread of abilities and I’ll find a few others going at my pace? FTP 3.5 W/kg and VO2 Max 60, if that helps give a better picture.

andrewh
    Free Member

Marathons get a huge spread of abilities, proper speed merchants at the pointy end and plenty of folks just trying to get round and have a laugh at the other.
    Guessing here but those figures should put you in maybe the top 40%? You’ll be competitive but the gap to the very front will also be quite big (but is good target to close up on once you know what you’re doing)
    The craic tends to be more relaxed than XC races, always good fun.
    Just go and enjoy the first few, get your eye in and then go for it properly next year

thegeneralist
    Free Member

FTP 3.5 W/kg and VO2 Max 60

those figures should put you in maybe the top 40%?

Sounds about right. I have no idea what my FTP is, and have no idea what Vo2 Max even is and I came mid pack on my first and only 24 hour race.
    So if you know yours then you’re undoubtedly better than me….
    Is an mtb marathon even the same as a 24 hr race?
    ****, I don’t have a clue. Ignore me

andrewh
    Free Member

Marathon is usually 100km.
    4hrs for the fast boys, easily double that for those at the back, probably more, obviously varies with weather, terrain etc, but very rough ball parks.
    Plan on being out for six hours OP. You will eat more than you think you will…

si77

Thanks, that tallies quite well with what I’d expect. Probably around 6.5+hours for the 100 km, if it includes about 2200m climbing. Will give one ago and see what happens. I’m basically looking for an event where I’ve got people in front of me that I have a chance of keeping in site or even overtaking. That usually makes me put in a bit more effort.

chrismac

Boredom from endless laps of the same loop whilst suffering as you go as fast as you can?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Boredom from endless laps of the same loop whilst suffering as you go as fast as you can?

That’s just a shit marathon that, the good ones are 1 or 2 loops of a big old course, for example the Yorkshire MTB Marathon the other week was two 43k laps with 920m of climbing in each with a mix of bridle ways, double tracks, tarmac and a lot of wooded single track. I managed to get round in 4hr 50mins for 34th overall and 13th Vet. Fastest was 3hr 50mins, course record is 3hrs 30mins!

andrewh
    Free Member

Manx 100 is 100k of proper riding, one big lap of open hills (and there are a lot of hills!)
    16,500ft of them on the 100mile option, a bit less on the 100km

mccraque

Just reminded me that Pippingford is a couple of weeks away. Last year saw about 50% DNF’s! Never seen anything like it.

footflaps

What should I expect?

To be amazed how fast the likes of Nick Craig can cover 100km…

heebyjeeby

I quite like the short lapped events….gives you a chance to get your head around the course and also the pits are generally never far away meaning you can travel light/have planned stops etc (if not one of the all out racers).
    That said you can end up with a mish mash of the faster and slower riders intermingling which you don’t get on the bigger loop/loops events

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

When guessing your time (or which length to enter!) don’t forget the climbing is where the race is won so tends to be harder off road climbing, if you’re thinking 2200m of fire roads and tarmac you’re likely to find yourself knackered by halfway.

I quite like the short lapped events….gives you a chance to get your head around the course and also the pits are generally never far away meaning you can travel light/have planned stops etc (if not one of the all out racers).

And means when you realise you really should have entered the 60k you’ve not got to figure out how the hell to get back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.