• This topic has 85 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • MTB Long Trousers
  • greenskin
    Free Member

Probably find something cheap but usable on wish?

Or just buy some Fox pants, they’re bloody ace.

colournoise

Have a couple of pairs of cheap ‘outdoors’ trousers from Wish or similar (can’t remember). Around 20 or 25 quid a pair. Saw them pop up on a Facebook sponsored post.

Fit is a little ‘eastern’ (skinny and high waisted) but for hacking around in winter they’re great. Very lightweight, stretchy and comfortable. Not really waterproof, but dry super fast so good for all but constantly raining rides.

slightreturn
    Free Member

No one has mentioned the specialized demo pro pants

chrisyork

I’ve been converted to riding with trousers with the Royal Storm pant, got them in the sale for £70. Truly waterproof and with a combo of sealskinz you aren’t getting wet feet at all….

My mate has the endura singletrack Ones but when it gets wet his trouser legs get soaked and then his shoes do too…

With trousers I really think it’s worth paying to get that fit that’s right for you

nickc

Tights! With shorts over the top if you must, but really, they are so much better

Tights don’t stop the water going into the tops your shoes, (which is how most of it gets in). so not necessarily better.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Watching this thread with eager eyes!!

So far on my list

Royal storm (but never in stock!)
    Fox ranger 3l (but never in stock!)
    Spesh demo pant (but never in stock)

Others in this thread especially callingv carlos

The madison zenith dwr trousers.. Look decent in stock at lbs and knowing what and how much you ride must be fairly hard wearing and waterproof??

They are the only ones I’ve seen that look like they’d cover my shimano winter boots and seemingly pretty cheap too

jamesoz

I’ve got a pair of Dare2b walking trousers, were cheap. Not waterproof but dry fast, are close fitting without being over tight. Nice to ride in.

ocrider
    pothead
    Free Member

Probably not much help but Fox Ranger waterproof trousers are probably the best bit of riding kit I’ve bought for years, however they were expensive (£110), I’ve no doubt I’ll eventually manage to rip or tear them and the legs are tapered so fit is pretty tight. I had doubts about spending that much on riding pants but after a few months of use I’d definitely buy another pair

mehr
    Free Member

The TLD (chinese) pants off eBay are perfect copies, or possibly originals out of the back door – either way you cant tell the difference

mattbee

Happy with my Endura MT500 spray trousers.
    Decent leg length (I’ve got a 34”’inside leg and they fit fine), showerproof and don’t seem to soak much moisture up sot hey don’t get baggy and flappy when it’s wet.
    The only niggle is the zips at the bottom of the legs can be a bit fiddly to undo when they are a bit muddy.

simono5

The TLD (chinese) pants off eBay are perfect copies, or possibly originals out of the back door – either way you cant tell the difference

Any chance of a link @mehr

mehr
    Free Member

@simono5 TLD

Just be aware that they’re true to TLD sizing so 32 is 31-33, 34 is 33-35 I originally ordered 34s and they were massive (am usually a 32-33 waist) but were easy to sell on

They took about 2 weeks to be delivered

jimdubleyou

Probably not much help but Fox Ranger waterproof trousers are probably the best bit of riding kit I’ve bought for years, however they were expensive (£110), I’ve no doubt I’ll eventually manage to rip or tear them and the legs are tapered so fit is pretty tight. I had doubts about spending that much on riding pants but after a few months of use I’d definitely buy another pair

Sums up my experience with the Ranger Water Pant – v.expensive, but super comfy and definitely waterproof.

I’ve got some endura zip offs in xxl which are too long for me – and a bit too high wasted to be comfy. £30 posted if that sounds like your thing. Worn them  3 times at most…

carlos
    Free Member

@ Ocillate Wildly

The madison zenith dwr trousers.. Look decent in stock at lbs and knowing what and how much you ride must be fairly hard wearing and waterproof??

Hi Mate, hows it going?
    Both Garry (message him for his review) and I have them. Tbh they are pretty good but do wet out if its really wet. Not being to heavy a material they tend to dry quite well though. You can wear pads under them, butnote the waist bandis low so tend to end up looking like a wannabe be gangsta when they get wet/muddy. They do stop a lot of water getting I to the boots, but feet will nearly always get wet one way or the other.

Would I buy again?? Yes but they’re not 100% waterproof,breathable etc..

bungalistic
    Free Member

Cheers jimdubleyou but they’d be too big for me. Some good links to follow up here, quite a few ebay specials to consider.

simono5

I had the same plan as @Oscillate Wildly but gave up.

I’d already ordered some Fox Flexairs to get me into the MTB Pants game.

Also on the back of @mehr post I’ve purchased some TLD pants from Aliexpress. Bit cheaper than ebay and got them for £32 inc delivery. Will post back when they arrive.

Paceman
    Free Member

Fox Flexair Pants are great, not totally waterproof but near enough, whilst also being comfy and breathable.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Another thumbs up on the Flexairs from me too.

I’ve got a few pairs and they have become my go to for everything other than hot summer riding.

mudfish

My experience
    6’2” 34 waist. 36 inside leg to the floor
    Always use sealskinz sox with the Sam Hill (water resistant) 510s if its wet.
    Endura singletrack. Dry trails only. L to get length. Great fit even over fat pads like ION K-Pact. Not in the slightest bit waterproof. Like them a lot as kind as there’s not many deep puddles.
    Endura MT500 Spray. Great in mud but if there’s a lot of standing water they are very soon soaked at calves and bum area. Awful that! Must be a DWR treated soft shell type fabric as warm and cosy with their slightly fleecy liner. Feel nice to wear. Good over the ION pads. I needed L to get the length so touch loose on my waist.
    Endura Humvee waterproof (older model with full length zip) pretty good waterproofing. Thin fabric. Laminate type material. I use over the singletracks when it’s cold. Cosy combination. Nice to take off over trousers for the drive home.
    Latest acquisition in the quest fit comfort is the Showers Pass Refuge so far they have kept all the water out. Bit over specified with the reflective material for off road and a touch looser at the ankles than I’d like. Although the straps adjust perfectly. Expensive so lucky I got a Black Friday deal. It seems like really well made stuff and customer service from Fraser is second to none.
    Good over the fat ION pads too.
    There’s a lot to like about Showers Pass. Wish I could justify the Refuge jacket. Next winter maybe.
    I tried on the Sweet Protection Hunter waterproof pants too. Lovely fit but as jacket in the same range isn’t reviewed well for full on wet conditions I decided not. Very similar material to the Humvees. Nice slim fit. Too tight over pads although ok over slim ones like Dainese perforated jobs.
    Tried on the the Madison DTE waterproofs too. Quite stiff fabric but low in the waist at the back and a touch too tight over my ION pads. Braces would work I guess. Good prices. Robust fabric.
    I did buy the DTE shorts from that range. Great. Stay up ok in shorts format.
    On the edge of proper wet season waterproof shorts/ pads/ long sealskinz are my go to solution.
    You don’t get the “peel off and get in the car clean” advantage though.

iainc

Quite keen on the flexair but with 34 waist and 30 IL I reckon they’ll be too long…

sturdylad
    Free Member

Bontrager do some nice ones.
    I have a couple of pairs, use them on the bike in winter and have also used them walking in the snow.
    These are the one I believe

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike-clothing/cycling-tights-trousers/bontrager-omw-softshell-pants/p/13457/

benp1

@mudfish are the endura trousers properly long enough for riding or do you just put up with them?

I’m 6’3, didn’t think enduras would be long enough in their standard length. Must be really long for the majority of the population then…

mudfish

Yeah they are long enough for me.

mehr
    Free Member

@iainc flex airs like all mtb pants run short in the leg, Fox

scotroutes

I’ve used the Keela Roadrunners a couple of times (including last nights bivvy). Not too baggy, stretchy, cuff fasteners to stop flapping. I like them.

I also have a cheap pair of Santic Cycling Trousers off Amazon after following a link from here. Sort of a less-tight tight. Mine are very warm so ideal for this time of year.

iainc

Thanks mehr, will take a punt on a set I think

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

carlos

@ Ocillate Wildly

Hi Mate, hows it going?
    Both Garry (message him for his review) and I have them. Tbh they are pretty good but do wet out if its really wet. Not being to heavy a material they tend to dry quite well though. You can wear pads under them, butnote the waist bandis low so tend to end up looking like a wannabe be gangsta when they get wet/muddy. They do stop a lot of water getting I to the boots, but feet will nearly always get wet one way or the other.

Would I buy again?? Yes but they’re not 100% waterproof,breathable etc..

Hey Carl

All good cheers bud hope you are too 👍🏻

Cheers for the info I will see if the shop can get me a few in to try in small and medium, don’t really want them falling down but hopefully my beer gut will stop that lol

Will check them out though as long as they keep the most part of water off I’m not too bothered gotta be better than having water run down my boots

nickfrog
    Free Member

I could never find riding trousers with a good fit so I use my summer Emdura shorts with Nike running trousers/tights underneath. Perfect for warmth and fit.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Alpinestars all mountain for me, nice snug fit with room for pads.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I can 100% recommend these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-waterproof-trail-trousers-id_8393194.html

£34:99, fit well- close but with flex at the key points. Kept me dry and my bibs mud free for the whole of the ‘Puffer.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Cheers codybrennan i’ll take a look at those for a wet weather option, the fit does look pretty decent. I bit the bullet at the weekend after trying a few options on but bought some Endura Singletrack pants, they do look a bit MC Hammer compared to normal trousers but are pretty comfy when riding.

malteser
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair and they shredded themselves after a few rides. Bough Madison DTE full waterproof ones not long after and have never looked back.

bruneep

how do the madison size up? are they true to size or do they share the endura tape measure?

dc1988

Do any manufacturers offer a decent long leg option? I need a 33″ waist 37″ leg, I know I’m far from standard sizing so don’t expect perfection but haven’t found anything even close.

seanr
    Free Member

Alpinestars new trousers get the thumbs up from me. Think they have a waterproof or thermal option for 2020, ive got the waterproof version which is great.

benpinnick

+1 for royal storms for me too. Changed my winter riding clothes selection forever. No more soggy legs and mud everywhere. So nice to have warm dry legs. Half price right now might buy myself a second set…..if they were in stock 🙁

sunnrider
    Free Member

Cheap, warm and water resistant (ok for a shower): https://tinyurl.com/vlptdad

carlos
    Free Member

how do the madison size up? are they true to size or do they share the endura tape measure?

Prob a bit on the large side to be honest. I got Medium as I’m a 32 waist and 31 leg. Waist is okay if the velcro tabs are pulled tight, but need to be held up with braces as they have a low waistband which drops no matter. Leg wise, they’re fine

I think I’ll at least try on a Small next pair I get

Jordan

sunnrider
    Cheap, warm and water resistant (ok for a shower): https://tinyurl.com/vlptdad

They look the same as the ones I bought from wish. Definately cheap and warm but as you say only just shower proof. Might improve with some DWR spray. I have only worn mine for hiking so far, thought they might be a bit too warm on the bike but they did they job well. Comfy and roomy with plenty of stretch so would certainly be comfy on the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘MTB Long Trousers’ is closed to new replies.