• This topic has 85 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • MTB Long Trousers
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

What do people wear and what’s good, both in terms of quality and price. Bought some Regatta trousers after a friends recommendation and while they are decent and not expensive they’ve clearly been made for people with very skinny legs. I can’t bring myself to buy the proper mtb ones due to price, any other alternatives out there?

feed

You could try hiking trousers, can usually pick up good quality one’s for around £40 that will have a nice amount of stretch in them. Sportspursuits.com a good place to look.

VanHalen

i have the boardman zip off ones to try trousers on teh cheap – they are surprisingly nice to ride in. They dont look the best quality but have survived BPW and plenty of local mtb stuff, dig days, welding in the van, walkign in the alps etc.

the leg zips are way too high to zip off as you endup with a massive gap to the knee pads but they help with putting pads on and pulling em up as needed.

vmgscot

I have some Madison Zenith DWR – they are good at what they do (keeping wintery weather out) but the fit is wrong for me – they seem too low cut at the back and don’t seem to want to stay in place around the waist.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

xc ski trousers.

Although my best item of mtb clothing is my POC mtb trousers. bloody brilliant

16stonepig
    Free Member

I use Endura Singletrack trousers. Not waterproof, but a shower should bead off easily. They’re mtb specific, but not actually all that expensive.

davros

Polaris ones have lasted well for me and they weren’t pricey.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about Sport Pursuit i’ll go take a look. I had wondered about ski/board pants but thought they’d be too warm. The regatta ones would be perfect if they just had a little more room in them.

chakaping
    Free Member

You saying I’ve got skinny legs?

Remind me to kick you next time we go for ride.

nickc

I’ve got a pair of sweet protection ones, there good for the sort of warmish dampish drizzling weather that seems to be our winters these days. They’re not waterproof, but they do keep your legs clean and a bit warmer. One of the extra bonuses is that your shoes don’t get filled with nearly as much water, as the hem of the trousers sits over my winter boots

carlos
    Free Member

I have some Madison Zenith DWR – they are good at what they do (keeping wintery weather out) but the fit is wrong for me – they seem too low cut at the back and don’t seem to want to stay in place around the waist.

and

they do keep your legs clean and a bit warmer. One of the extra bonuses is that your shoes don’t get filled with nearly as much water, as the hem of the trousers sits over my winter boots

I combat the low cut and issues with staying in place with a decent set of Sthil braces. Will happily buy another pair.

BoardinBob

These are the business

https://uk.foxracing.com/indicator-pant/20913.html

I’ve got big legs and these fit perfectly. Fitted with plenty of stretch. Not waterproof but enough protection from the elements. Temperature regulation is also spot on

dc1988

What are these skinny Regatta trousers you speak of? I have relatively skinny legs and don’t like excess bagginess in trousers.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

possibly the regatta sungari, pretty much a copy of montaine terra pant. but £15 on golfbase or there ebay page

fossy

I’d recon the £40 Decathlon walking trousers would do the job. Just bought a pair for walking in, and they are quite tight. The low waist is a bit of an issue on the bike, but I reccon they’d do the job. Seem to be fairly breathable and ‘wind’ proof.

I generally go with bib tights under my normal baggies in cold weather (being an ex-roadie) I’ve got a fair few pairs ranging from “full on” arctic insulated, to fairly thin.

sharkattack

Came here to also recommend the Fox Indicators. I bought them on CRC with a voucher.

They’re my first trousers after riding in shorts forever and they’re an instant favourite. It’s like riding in weightless, silky pyjamas. They’re not insulated and they’re not waterproof so I don’t overheat and they keep your legs, pads, socks etc clean so it’s much less faf after a ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

possibly the regatta sungari,

They were the Regatta Questra – bit more money but better quality (I have both).

I actually have fairly chunky legs and wear L or XL kneepads – but I pull them up over the trews.

feed

I had wondered about ski/board pants but thought they’d be too warm.

They would be too warm, plus very wide at the bottom to fit over ski boots, certain to get caught in the chain.

sharkattack

I actually have fairly chunky legs and wear L or XL kneepads – but I pull them up over the trews.

Whaaat? you mean like this?

andyha
    Free Member

Keela roadrunner better than my Endura ones

bungalistic
    Free Member

You saying I’ve got skinny legs?

Compared to me you must do yeah, or I’m just used to the looser easy fir of shorts and baggy’ish jeans. I think it’s just a case of trying a few different types on if i’m being too tight and not buying mtb specific ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whaaat? you mean like this?

Where did you get that picture of me? Roots and Rain?

Compared to me you must do

We’ll have to have a measure up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

just for clarity…. xc ski trousers (in my earlier post)  are not ski or snowboard trousers

ayjaydoubleyou

Endura non waterproof ones.

Tapered at the heel to avoid snagging chainrings, and cut to suit a pedalling position, with knees baggy enough to wear light knee pads beneath them.

Pockets which actually work while riding too.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Cheers howsyourdad1 i’ll take a look about, I had wondered about a light weight ski type pant and I know you can get slimmer fitting ones.

Endura non waterproof ones

The hummvees aren’t badly priced, what they like when they get wet & filfthy, not too heavy?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’m liking my Endura long pants, it’s the 1st time I’ve tried full length pants for riding, they’re just the job, comfortable, unobtrusive and knee pads fit inside really well. Work well in the cold with a base layer underneath as well.

lunge

Tights! With shorts over the top if you must, but really, they are so much better than any MTB trousers I’ve ever worn.

hot_fiat

Polaris’ vaguely water repellant AM trousers. Cheap too in their perpetual DFS-esque sale.

hainman
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HZMHZEK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
    I’ve had a few wet muddy rides in these and they do a great job
    100% waterproof and warm
    Knee pads fit under them too
    For the money they are perfect

samcheese
    Free Member

A mate has been riding in army-surplus Gore-Tex camo trousers. Cheap as chips (>£30 iirc). He’s extremely please with their performance but they do make him look like someone you wouldn’t want near your kids.

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, OP already looks like that so no worries there.

DezB
    Free Member

I was gonna recommend Maloja, cos I got some troos a while ago and they’re excellent. Then I saw the price! £200!! https://www.bikester.co.uk/maloja-samadenm-freeride-pants-men-moonless-1031189.html
    So not them. Mine were a lot cheaper from Amazon (and slightly more colourful).

DezB
    Free Member

These are stylish

ayjaydoubleyou

The hummvees aren’t badly priced, what they like when they get wet & filfthy, not too heavy?

Endura singletrack is what I have.

As they are fairly form fitting (but not skin tight) on the arse and thigh so its not annoying flappy cold and wet.
    They do increase in weight when wet though, its not a bead off surface. Biblically heavy rain likely not the ideal trouser; tyre spray from puddles/mud, drizzle and so on they are great.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Being a roadie and newbie to mtb I’ve resurrected some old Clice and Alpinestars longs (and LS jerseys) that I used to use for motorbike trials riding. I’ve lost some weight since my trials riding days so bib shorts under these long trousers works well from a fit persective. They’re comfortable and the legs are a bit padded but not restrictive.

dreednya

single track trousers here too and with some cut-off waterproof trousers as shorts I still keep a dry bum – result

doomanic

I’ve got Endura Singletrack trousers, Humvee 3/4 length trousers and ex-MOD GoreTex overtrousers. The Singletracks are from 2012 and seem to have lost any water repellancy they once had and have clearly shrunk in the wash. The Humvees were bought for the ClickFast liner when they were on offer and I’ve only worn them once; they have no water repellant properties what-so-ever. The camo GoreTex are great; waterproof and not at all not sweaty, but not particularly elegant. They also have a habit of riding down at the back if I move about on the saddle too much so some braces are in order.

https://www.revolutionrace.co.uk/ seem to get a lot of love on another forum I frequent but I have no personal experience of them.

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Decathlon Fast Hiking trousers that were about 40 quid. They aren’t waterproof, but they are very lightwieght (may not actually be a positive – I’m yet to take another tumble on tarmac), dry rather quickly, have two not very deep pockets (useful for stashing things briefly, not for riding with), and have a nice taper from reasonably roomy to slimmer at the ankle which has resulted in zero interactions with the drivetrain.  They’ve got a windproof panel on the front also. I pop a pair of tights underneath for these colder conditions. I have been very impressed.

A neighbour of mine swears by the Keela Roadrunners though. If I have 80 quid spare at any point I might give them a go.

Oh, and I wear medium Endura Singletrack knee pads. They fit nicely under the trousers – plenty of wiggle room.

endomick
    Free Member

If you’re against buying mtb specific pants, give karrimor panther pants from sportsdirect a try for £25, the material is stretchy so you could even try sizing down, decent zipped pockets, not at all waterproof but I use them when it’s not raining. Good casual pair of pants to wear for all sorts of things.

jler1985

Fox indicator, I tried a few of the cheaper options and they were crap to be honest. The fox pants are super comfortable, lightweight can handle a shower and look great.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘MTB Long Trousers’ is closed to new replies.