Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • MTB light battery… Has anybody tried with a usb powerbank
  • davemonty
    Free Member

So I have a reasonably nice light, bought a few years ago. However I haven’t used it in a while and now the battery won’t take on any charge. I sent it off to be checked and have been quoted ~£50 for a new battery. That’s more than I wish to spend, I don’t do much night riding and now I have an excuse not to do any.
    However, I’m just wondering has anybody tried wiring a MTB light up to work with a USB powerbank? As far as I can see I could get something of reasonable capacity for £20. I’ve seen you can now buy those CREE XML T6 kind of lights with a USB lead, so it’s obviously possible, but how hard would it be to change the light I already have to a USB lead? And how are people’s experiences powering lights from a USB powerbank? Can you get full brightness? I have a GCSE in technology and a friend with a soldering iron.. and more time than money… 🙃

Painey
    Free Member

There was a thread about this last week sometime. You can get head units designed to run off a USB and then you just put a powerbank in a frame bag. Sounded promising.

hooli

TBH if you don’t do much night riding and are going to buy a £20 power bank and mess about soldering, just spend £20 on a solarstorm copy and enjoy it. It will be waterproof and work very well for the money.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yetidave
    Free Member

why mess about with trying to get something to work when you can buy a 700lumen light from planet x with a 4800mAhr battery with usb charging for £15? Over the years i have tried to build and rebuild lights, but they are so cheap nowadays, with better performance why cobble bits together?

hooli

I got my son this one late last year as he has started to join us for the odd night ride and it is very good, considering the cost it is bloody brilliant.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You’d probably be a lot cheaper than 50 quid soldering in new cells to the battery pack yourself.

davemonty
    Free Member

Yeh I’m aware it wasn’t a brilliant idea haha, was just wondering if anyone had tried it! Didn’t realise you can get a solarstorm copy with a 8000mAh battery for <£25 like that Nestling one! Looks like a cheap light that comes with a half decent battery is the way to go then and I should be able to use the battery with my old light and whatever new one.

johnnystorm

I reckon the hard bit will be buying a crap light that comes with a decent battery!

I’d look at that PX Jobsworth one and see if the connector is the same or easily swapped.

tjagain

MTB batteries will put new cells in IIRC

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I reckon the hard bit will be buying a crap light that comes with a decent battery!

I’d look at that PX Jobsworth one and see if the connector is the same or easily swapped.

I’d be amazed if the PX battery is any better, their stuff hardly screams quality, it’s usually just rebadged cheap stuff.

Painey
    Free Member

If you want a cheap light run off a power bank just get something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Front-Lamp-6000LM-2x-CREE-XM-L-T6-USB-LED-Bike-Bicycle-Light/402425900497

And then buy a £20 powerbank off amazon. Cheap/powerful light and a safe battery. A previous thread I encountered suggested decent run times. For those prices I’m tempted to get one myself and keep it as a backup.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MTB light battery… Has anybody tried with a usb powerbank’ is closed to new replies.