Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • MTB Leader ticket: CTC vs MIAS vs BC ?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Currently researching this, would appreciate thoughts from those that know.

Who’s done it, which one, why, does it matter?

MIAS: http://www.mias.org.uk I know it’s used but the quality of their website (covered in ads) doesn’t indicate this is more than a one man band.
    CTC: I never see the CTC as an off road organisation really, I know they do, but more “rough stuff fellowship” type thing.
    British Cycling: http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/mtbleadership probably the best known brand amongst potential guiding customers, perhaps it has a chance of getting recognised abroad too. On the other hand BC’s heart is really in competition/coaching not leisure/adventure cycling, and I have a concern about getting drowned in politics and paperwork.

Thoughts appreciated.

The use case is group leadership not skills training.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I did BC Level 2.
    Really enjoyed the course, tutors (cyclewise) were excellent.

Certainly not overloaded with paperwork and you don’t need to fill in loads when you guide either.
    I would certainly recommend it.

mattjg
    Free Member

ta, was there a reason you chose BC over the others, or was it just how it worked out?

booktownman
    Free Member

I did Trail Cycle Leader under the Scottish Cycling MBLA award.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/scst-scottish-cycling-MBLA-Training-Courses

I understood this was being amalgamated with British Cycling’s scheme – I don’t know if the Brit Cycling link you posted is the new award.

Anyways, it was a worthwhile course, good for making you think beyond the simple ‘follow me!’ style of leadership, and what other responsibilities you’ll need to consider as a leader.

Bear in mind you’ll have to do a two-day first aid course as well, which may set you back another £200 depending on what you can find.

I did REC First Aid which is slanted towards outdoor activities.

rusty90
    Free Member

I looked into this last year and ended up doing the BC MBLA 2. Reasons were :
    – Already a BC member
    – BC course was available at Plas y Brenin which I’ve used before and is excellent
    – Impressed by BC’s professionalism and depth of support
    – BC seem likely to be come the most recognised and accepted qualification

The MBLA course and qualification is definitely oriented towards leadership, rather than skills.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

I am currently in the process of doing this! Right: The BC award will be taking over as ‘the award’ however, it focuses specificallt on leadership, with no coachibg (theres a seperate award for that) furthermore it isnrmt yet up and running, the level three assesment (the one,you need for abroad) isnt offeredd yet.

In comparison the MBLA is up and running, teaches both leadership and elements off coaching, and IMPORTANTLY is officially recognized and will ve supported by BC as an equuvalent award (tlc=2 mbl=3) even after its amalgamation and you’ll be insured under the BC insurance membershio.

(on phone)

mattjg
    Free Member

OK I see http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/scotland/article/scst-scottish-cycling-MBLA-Training-Courses

So that’s a fourth option, but being rolled into BC then?

To be honest I’d assumed (being English and in England), that SMBLA wasn’t appropriate for me.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve just done my MBL and it is my understanding that if you are going to do that you will have to get it all done this year as there will be no more MBL/TCL assessments after 2014. Doing the course and assessment in less than a year shouldn’t be a problem if you are experienced.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyway so far nobody has stepped up for MIAS or CTC, it’s all BC or SMBLA.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

BASP do first aid courses for mountain biking and they cost about £100 for a two day course.

turq

I’ve completed a couple of CTC courses, including Trail Leader and can highly recommend their courses.

Run by a network of skilled, experienced and knowledgeable leaders, the courses cover all aspects of leadership and group management.

CTC’s old and sometimes still present image of ‘rough stuff’ cycle touring isn’t relevant anymore, the staff team comprises of a complete mix of cycling types, including mountainbikers who have ridden all over the world and raced at every level of the sport…….I know this because I am one of them.

I know my views could be deemed as biased but I can highly recommend them…..link below to Trail Leader course content and dates/venues

http://www.ctc.org.uk/courses-and-training/mtb-leader-courses/trail-mtb-bike-leader-award

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am MIAS qualled with the expedition element. Personally I wouldn’t go down that route. Go for BC as this is what is getting pushed now. The guy who runs MIAS is a one man band. Personally I wasn’t 100% happy with my instructor.
    I only got it so I could lead guys from work (military)

ninkynonk
    Free Member

I did MIAS and have to agree with monkeychild I’m afraid

The course I did was just to help a friend out who had started doing guided rides. Everyone on the course “passed” irrespective of their knowledge or ability. One girl was doing it to take school parties out but could barely ride herself and couldn’t even change a puncture.

Nothing personal but not really sure I’d be happy sending my kids out with her despite her being qualified. It all seemed a bit of a conveyor belt to get a qualification to me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve done the MIAS course to level 3 and I’ve seen people (justifiably) fail at levels 1, 2 and 3.

I’ve only been out with a couple of BC qualified guys but both came across as overly risk adverse.

booktownman
    Free Member

What Gnarlycenturion said above makes sense.

We were told when we did our TCL MBLA there were plans afoot to merge with British Cycling’s scheme. Don’t be put off by it being administered by Scottish Cycling for the time being, and get it done sharpish if you can – we were told price rises were likely after the merger.

The guy I used was Windy at Wye MTB in the Forest of Dean. Solid instructor.

mattjg
    Free Member

Useful contributions, thanks folks.

mattjg
    Free Member

The guy I used was Windy at Wye MTB in the Forest of Dean. Solid instructor.

A cool it’s not just in Scotland then.

Plas Y Brenin are doing BC Level 2 courses by the way: http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-mountain-biking-qualifications.php

I doubt I’d need L3 down here in southern Englandshire.

bobbyspangles

Mias level 4 here.

Good solid ticket and as long as you keep up with your CPD then, like any other licence to teach, its up to you to be the best you can be.

Trekster

Read this update

The transition from one scheme to another has been considered with a view to create the minimal disruption to current practices. Active leaders who are using the current MBLA awards can continue to do so, there is no compulsion to transfer to the new awards and the existing awards will continue to be recognised. Any leaders who started the process of training under the existing MBLA scheme will be given at least one year to complete their awards with the last chance to be assessed for Trail Cycling Leader being 31 Dec 2015 and the last chance for Mountain Bike Leader being 31 December 2014[b].

peterich
    Free Member

im gonna be signed up for the tcl this year
    assuming I get that it will qualify me to do the next course up (MBL)
    if that’s not being run next year then does anyone know if ill be ok to do the next equivalent course with British Cycling
    thanks

Trekster

Peterich
    I would either contact BC or Cyclewise who helped develop the scheme, they are likely to be the best people to answer this question properly.
    If for some reason you got part way through your course, something happens and you cannot complete before the intended change over dates then you may be snookered 💡
    Did you read the linked update ^^^^^^^^ ?

TiRed

BC based their course on the CTC course (from one of the BC coaches who runs it). Either will suit your needs. I’m planning on BC Level 2 MTB Coaching course to help my modest skills later this year.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Just to brow in the mixer there’s MBCUK. I would say it’s run well by Chip Rafferty (my mate is qualled by them) however I didn’t like how they passed a guy who was incompetent.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Sorry to hear so much negative feedback about MIAS.

I have been running the MIAS qualification since 2002. The feedback I receive, I have to say is opposite to the experience of the above posts.

My take on this. I think it is irrelevant which qualification you choose, as they are all recognised. It could however, be argued that which provider you choose is of greater importance.

http://mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Be warned: you cannot do tlc then BC level three. It has to all be on the same course. My advise? (okay, bettervread as ‘what I am doing’) call and chat to a mbla course provider and book all the relevant training/assessments in one go for peace of mind 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘MTB Leader ticket: CTC vs MIAS vs BC ?’ is closed to new replies.