Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • mtb in leicester
  • cyclingtaz
    Free Member

just got my 9yr old daughter her first mtb and i’m looking for some decent off road places to take her that aren’t just parks or grassy areas also some places i could go on my own to ride
    many thanks in advance

dannyh
    Free Member

Swithland Wood would make a great place to start. Some nice semi-rough tracks, some nice soily singletrack and some jumps, drops and roll ins for yourself. As good a play area as you’ll get in Leics.

chamberlain30
    Free Member

Hicks Lodge near Ashby de la Zouch, National Forest place. Green trails and a nice easy Blue one should be good for the little one

cyclingtaz
    Free Member

cheers is there any online trail maps or is it a case of going and discovering, was planning of a trip to bradgate with her but you cant cycle round there according to the website

chamberlain30
    Free Member

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/hickslodge

Hope this helps. Took my little nipper (3 years old so probably not as quick as yours) yesterday he loves it 2 green trails and a blue with berms and some small jumps you can roll over. He’s not graduated to the blue just yet but is starting to pick up speed around the lake!! Cracking cafe serving quality cakes is also a plus. Parking is £1 an hour, £3 maximum so not too steep.

cyclingtaz
    Free Member

thanks guys
    planning on a trip out on bank holiday friday with her trying to give her a fun hobby to do as most of our time is spent with her dancing at comps, lessons etc so something else other than hanging at home and hopefully it will help with her stamina as well

luddite
    Free Member

+1 for Hicks Lodge, started woth 6 & 7 yr old.
    Ice cream/cake bribes in cafe after

aa
    Free Member

+2 for hicks lodge, i was there yesterday with my children. Its a nice environment for younguns.

(saw a jones, which was unexpected)

aaronwardle
    Free Member

+1 for Hicks, took my daughter there on Wednesday and she loved it, especially the cake stop afterwards

RobHilton
    Free Member

mtb in leicester

Bit of an oxymoron; have lived there for the past 6 years and often wondered why…

Fineshades & Wakerley Woods are worth checking out, not the most challenging, but trails go from very family friendly to a bit more than most most kids could handle.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/englandnorthamptonshirerockinghamforestfineshadewood

asbrooks

Be careful with Hicks Lodge. The tracks are heavily graveled. I took my daughter last year, she left the skin from her knees there. She was very brave.
    If you do rider there, I suggest gloves and knee pads over jeans.

Try Martinshaw Wood, it should be fine for a youngster. When it dried out that is.
    http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods/wood/4180/martinshaw-wood/

BillOddie

Martinshaw is under water and will be for some time. They have also decided to manage fell a lot of it, so it’s a proper mess.
    Swithland might not be ideal for a beginner but you’ll enjoy it.

Rule of thumb for the Charnwood area is look for green bits on the OS Map to explore but don’t be surprised if you get an earful from one of the people who think they own the Country side. (horse and houndy types) Observe the Cheeky Ethics and you’ll be fine (ish)

Hicks Lodge is by far your best bet for a young un!

My eldest (6 now) took a big tumble there last summer, bit scratched up but nowt that bad, he was fine.
    Going to take my youngest (4) there soon.

iain1775
    Free Member

Hicks and Rutland Water best bets
    Further afield plenty of paths in Cannock

oliverracing

Be careful with Hicks Lodge. The tracks are heavily graveled

+1 😳

Swithland Wood would make a great place to start. Some nice semi-rough tracks, some nice soily singletrack and some jumps, drops and roll ins for yourself. As good a play area as you’ll get in Leics.

Can vouch for this – I’m based in loughborough without a car and find that the majority on my riding is in swithland woods or whitwick woods – both are great but swithy is your direction and good for a couple of hours of playing, and has easy flowy bits all the way to 2-3ft drops

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘mtb in leicester’ is closed to new replies.