Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • MTB in India?
  • Bream
    Free Member

Traveling out to India with work in a few weeks, as always I’m trying to find a local MTB ride group to hook up with. Has anyone ridden in India and have any contacts? I can stay in either Delhi or Pune and want to ride 23/24 Feb.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

If you are in Pune I know a couple of guys they might be able to put you in touch with someone from Delhi

oopnorth
    Free Member

I lived in Pune for 3 years up until 2013, to be honest there was not much MTB to be had although there are a couple of bike shops with some group rides, but most tend to be road related. Personally I was using a cyclocross bike and riding out of the main city into the countryside, over the hills towards Lavale.

Maybe try contacting the Lifecycle shop in Pune. They were involved in a lot of local events so may be able to help you.

DickBarton

Been in Patna and Mumbai, nothing of note in either area and anyone I spoke to reckoned the wildlife would soon stop you.
    The week before a trip a group of students went camping in local area…and one got eaten by a crocodile!
    Saying that, it does look it should have amazing riding.

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, think I’ll head straight to Pune as that’s my end desitnation for Monday meetings.

tuskalposa, it would be great if you cared to share your local Pune riders details, or if they use a club website or somehwere I can post asking for help?

oop north, I’ll also drop Lifecycle shop a line.

Note to self, watch out for crocodiles lol.

scottfitz
    Free Member
    Bream
    Free Member

Nice local trails and thanks for the reply scottfitz, I’ll drop those guys a message and I have tuskaloosa seeing if he can help as well.

matt_outandabout

My brother in law knows all the road (well, more gravel!) and off road around Ooty, Tamil Nadu. Lots of good riding in the Nilgiri hills.

Most MTB around India is full on adventure biking – even local trails. Between the wildlife, locals, lack of driving standards and a need for self sufficiency, you need to stay aware.

BIL has done more road biking now, they have a weekly ride out and local races.

MTB part of the issue for him is total lack of parts, we get family to take parts out for bikes in suitcases.

I can also find out about trails around Mussoorie, Uttarakhand in the edge of the mountains. Good friends still live there, and you can ride to a tree with my name on for my birth… 8)

null

null

Shuttle servce.

Bream
    Free Member

Beautiful photos matt and thanks for the reply, but my work trip is mega hectic this time so it looks like it’ll be in Pune or not at all this time around.

ndg
    Free Member

The giant store in Pune also organise regular rides out in Pune, so worth taking to them.

I’ll send this thread to a mate who all travels and rides there regularly who has a few local contacts.

The-Rookie
    Free Member

ndg’s mate here….. and posting from Pune (hence the silly time) although I’m not there 23/24th as I’ll be back in blighty by then.
    The Giant Starkenn store in Pune rent out bikes, Mountain or Hybrid, friendly staff and they will look after you. Pick up the night before and return after the ride, most bikes are 400-500 Rupees for a day – about £5. Most decent stores rent out bikes but Starkenn are the only ones with vaguely decent MTB’s (XCM HLO forks and Tektro hydraulic discs is about the best you’ll get).
    They used to have a weekly off-road ride on a Saturday led by one of the staff from Starkenn, I’m not sure if they still do (I work Saturdays when in Pune so haven’t kept up with it), they also have a Sunday on road ride most weeks.

Road riding is much more common in Pune than MTBing, although with Indian roads you need at least a Hybrid if not an MTB on many roads anyway and its often more like riding open fire roads than road riding, there are some really decent ‘out in the country’ rides around the area such as up to Sinhagad Fort (about 65km but with a 800m climb), round the reservoir (about 100km) or to some of the local temples such as Theur (flat, about 60km).

There is some off roading in Pune (but dwarfed by the on-road scene) there are only two venues with short off road trails otherwise its natural track or gravel paths such as the top of Tekdi (Spirit) Hill which is criss-crossed with trails and has a quarry you can ride down into which is easily self navigable. Most people seem to ride off-road on Saturday so again I’ve not had a chance to join them.

There is a facebook page ‘Pune Cycling Enthusiasts’ you can put a shout out on if you want to see if anyone doing a ride fits what you want, people here are very friendly and welcoming of new people onto rides.

One word of warning, Indian disc braked MTB’s have the brakes set up left front and right rear, the odd spill from grabbing the wrong brake is not unknown (don’t ask how I would know….)

When riding in India ALWAYS carry ID and your private health insurance card, broken bodies without obvious insurance are a low priority. Bottled water is readily available and you will drink quite a bit due to the temperatures (I’m often drinking 1L/hr and in summer 2L/hr although I do tend to drink more than average even in the UK), most people in India start rides at circa 6am to avoid the heat (its already hitting nearly 30 by 2pm and will be 2C warmer by the end of the month), roadside vendors won’t understand English but if you ask for Bisleri (the first bottled water brand in India and the de-facto term for all bottled water) they’ll understand, also a Vada Pav (Pronounced Wada Pow – a potato Pakora in a bun with chilly sauce – a Mahrati specialty) makes a great mid ride snack, washed down by a cup or two of traditional Indian Chai (tea made with condensed milk and stewed to death – but lovely despite that description) both are pretty safe for westerners digestive systems, if you’re feeling braver an Omelette from a roadside cafe is worth a try.

https://starkennbikes.com/
    The Store at Sangam Projects is the larger of the two in Pune with a decent range of hire bikes and where organised rides go from
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Starkenn+Technical+Center/@18.529953,73.8590654,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3bc2c1534812e169:0xe33684f00e6aac7d!8m2!3d18.529953!4d73.8612541
    +91 (0)2026058866
    email is pune AT starkennbikes.com

Tekdi hill (also known as ARAI hill or Vetal hill)
    https://lbb.in/pune/arai-tekdi/
    Sunny world adventure park has a shortish off road trail
    https://www.sunnysworldpune.com/
    As does Oxford golf resort
    https://www.oxfordgolfresort.com/
    I’ve not ridden Sunny’s which is quite new, I’ve ridden Oxford (although its not mentioned that I can see on the website), think something like the Kitchenor trail at Sherwood pines.
    There are some natural trails on the two hills by the international airport but I’ve never tried them.

matt_outandabout

We need that like button….

OP, send us some pics please when you go…

The-Rookie
    Free Member

Just to add to one of the comments above, the Lifecycle shop has shrunk a lot as well as moved from it’s city centre location and no longer organise rides regularly. Their website lists their old address still.

What Hotel will you be in?

Bream
    Free Member

Hi Rookie, wow, what a reply, thanks a million to take the time and effort to post that up and to ndg for passing this thread on. Pretty sure I’ll be staying in the JW Marriott.

I’ll follow up these leads and I’ve also got a few more with help from Russ and his local friend Varun.

Bream
    Free Member

My trip is delayed 4 weeks, so new date of arrival/ride is the 17th March, just hope it isn’t too hot to get out!

The-Rookie
    Free Member

Sorry, just picked up your post.

Its Scorchio out here already now, high 30’s by 2pm but you don’t want to be riding hard after about 10:30 (already past 30 and a vicious sun), did a quickfire 65km yesterday and it was starting to get uncomfortable at about 9:30 when I finished. Bearing in mind it was already about 22C when I set off at 6:30. I think you need to set your planned distance and start time accordingly, even the locals are finishing at around 10-10:30am and they’ve have 15,000 years of evolutionary advantage on me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘MTB in India?’ is closed to new replies.