Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • MTB clothing brands of the early to mid 90s
  • Pieface

That are no more, or have fallen from grace.

Been Bag
    Bula – the kings of day-glo?
    Animal Watchstraps – still around but not quite so ubiquitous.
    Eclipse(?) – not sure on this one, they used to be very cool, a bit rare and expensive (to a 15 year old on a paper-round)

trail_rat
    Free Member

ROK ? – purveyors of cheesy tag lined riding orientated hoodies and tees …..

pedalhead
    Free Member

ROX. I still have a “psycho mountain biker…do not feed the animal” T-shirt, though admittedly in tatters.

edit…yep TR, like mine 🙂

one_bad_mofo

I still miss my AXO Pony boots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How about a little Local Motion as well…

No Fear – Back when it was worn by people who did something more dangerous than being a lardy chav.

Oh, and the obligatory Mint Sauce T shirts, of course!

brakes
    Free Member

my Axo Mission shoes (in blue suede) were perhaps the greatest footwear I’ve ever owned…

james-o
    Free Member

i still have some Axo pony boots, and the top and shorts to go with them.

saving them for a retro ride sometime. the top’s lasted well but the shorts are probably risky to wear.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The finest shoes made for SPD were by Answer and were called Flatfoots. The original blue and black ones, mind you, not these later MkII versions;

Can’t find a pic of the originals anywhere!

higgo
    Free Member

I still have my ROX ‘Fear Of A Flat Planet’ t-shirt somewhere.

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t see much OF3 stuff around these days

My mate wearing a pair of Of3 gloves on the right here.

Pic from Mountain Bike World mag – funnily enough I wore the Fox gloves I’ve got on this morning on my commute – didn’t realise they were that old!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh man I loved my OF3 gloves! Sadly they died a final death last year. 🙁

poisonspider
    Free Member

Anyone remember Parrott?

I’ve still got a few tops, some leggings and a windproof! They were internerd only and very reasonable, decent quality kit. Defunct now I think.

Tiger6791

ligne7 Boots?, before SPD

crazy-legs

I’ve still got a few ROX T-shirts.

Remember the old classic Specialized shoes? Plain black with a little red S, they had a sort of fold-over leather cover on them. They were great, somewhere I’ve still got a pair of them, almost unworn! Also one of the original MTB shoes, the Nike Poohbah:

Turn up at races and everyone would be wearing ROX or No Fear T-shirts!

finbar
    Free Member

Eclipse bomber jackets and jeans with all the embroidery were worn by proto-chavs (they were called townies back then) round my way, not mtbers. Having said that i always wanted a “Dready” hoody which was very similar.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone remember Parrott?

Pretty sure that hideous yellow thing I’ve got on in the pic was Parrott. Belonged to Tim, the photographer. Not sure if i wore it because of the cold or because he wanted more colour in the pic!
    Just noticed, I still wear those Lusso knee warmers too.

poisonspider
    Free Member

DezB – I think you’re right, it is a Parrott top. Mine is (or was, now very faded) blue.

richen987
    Free Member

answer flatfoots in blue and black for you CapatainFlashHeart

personally i miss my old Nike Poobahs, so comfy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If only they were NOS! I’d be getting the wallet out!

Still have a pair of Poobahs that I use now and again.

poisonspider
    Free Member

BTW – Parrot (with one ‘t’ apparently) is still going as a brand. Checkout http://www.dalesware.co.uk for the range.

They look exactly the same ?? Still v. cheap though.

richen987
    Free Member

unfortunately not mine, image stolen from another website, but they were darn comfy.
    my poobahs fell to pieces, would buy new ones if they still did them.

TooTall
    Free Member

What brand were those helmets – the adjustable ones? One of the first with a hard plastic outer that you used a screwdriver to change the size. They rocked.

I still have a pair of mint green Tracksters that were a favourite in the early 90s for riding in.

matt_outandabout

My Axo’s shoes were awful…

matthewjb
    Free Member

I had a reversible pertex/fleece jacket. Struggling to remember the brand. Not Paramo or Buffalo. Often recommended in MBUK.

Also had 2 MBUK Mint Sauce T shirts. I think they got thrown out recently.

matthewjb
    Free Member

What brand were those helmets – the adjustable ones?

Etto?

TheGingerOne

I’ve still got my blue and black Answer Flatfoots, though they now have black instead of white laces. Still looking great due to very infrequent use over the past 13 years 🙂
    Can post a piccie later if you are desperate?

ourmaninthenorth

I recently discoverd my old Rox “Special K” (with the “K” being the old Kona logo) t-shirt.

And a thick-as-hell-made-to-last white embroidered Oakley Thermonuclear Protection t-shirt.

But I think my original Oakley Frogskins (black rain frame, red iridium lens) are no longer with me. 🙁

Blackhound

Remember wanting to buy one of those Special K Tee’s as K is my initial and I ride a Kona.

Saw one for sale at The Malverns in the mid 90’s but only in XL. Ah well!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But I think my original Oakley Frogskins (black rain frame, red iridium lens) are no longer with me.

Mine were MkIs, black frame and black lens, with the original metal hinge. I left them on a blonde in France and have regretted it ever since. 🙁 (Not the blonde, you understand, no regrets there)

Still have the original Blue Iridium lens from my Mumbos as well (Pre M-Frames!)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

old skool oakleys are making a comeback, and I think oakley are re-releasing them as half the moto GP guys wore frogskins on the grid this year. I found a pair I bought as a teenager in the nineties for £25 and left in a drawer, Mr MC suggested I put em on fleabay and they went for >£60 😯

Waa also going to name check Buffalo for their fleece/pertex top which was as ubiquitous as a marin full susser back in the day…

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Think I still have some Local Motion ‘Dominator Reflex’ gloves somewhere. What a great name!

What about Switch-Baks clothing? Anyone remember them? Bloody awful.

TooTall
    Free Member

Etto?

Oh yeahhhhhhh

TheGingerOne

Answer Flatfoots in Blue and black, but with replacement non-white laces. It would be rude for them to be perfect after all this time!!

And some Oakley Frogskins bought from the stand at the bike show at Earls Court circa 1994. Transparent black with red iridium lenses I think (Plus glue holding the hinge together).

mountainchub
    Free Member

I loved those OF3 gloves too – had 2 pairs both destroyed and in bin 😥 having said that I wonder if they were any better than the gloves I wear now or if my memory is forgetting the bad bits.

Did anyone ever buy some gear from a company called Last Ten. I had a Pertex windstopper and MASSIVE fleecy gloves. I loved their stuff. Shame I can’t find anything anywhere to show they existed!!!

showerman
    Free Member

still got my bean bag jacket…you need to wear sun glasses if with me as the colours are a little loud yorkshire company if i remember purchased at the malverns home of mountain bike racing as we know it ;0)

partickbateman
    Free Member

Probably reflects quite badly on me that it takes a thread like this to concert me from lurked to poster, but couldnt resist.

OF3 gloves were classics, I bought a pair used from Dave Hemming at the Malverns when I was about 14. He’d broken the bunnyhop record wearing them, so thought wearing them would obviously make me better.

XSW – baggy “extreme” clothes but a very toasty hat, as worn by JMC in Dirt (can you see a patten emerging here?). Left it on the schoolbus.

Steep body armour – still got my knee pads and they’re technically still in one piece. Useless though, one area there’s been real improvement.

Also had an assortment of Rox tshirts with cheeky slogans on them, which obviously marked me out as a dangerous renegade.

Ah, those were the days…

noteeth
    Free Member

However do we manage without those Local Motion/Cosmic Trail shoulder pad/bag things?

My first mtb (a very yellow 1990 Marin Muirwoods) was decked out in all manner of fluro kit… I was probably visible from space.

Pieface

I remember now Eclipse was chav wear.

I think the only thing this company made was a T-Shirt which was a ‘must have’ item in the day IIRC, relatively expensive too I think.

I think they were light green coloured with a circular pattern around the brand name in the middle, which was a single word like eclipse or voodoo, but obviously neither of those.

I think I will make my next purchase Parrot, just for that ‘semi-retro’ look.

lister

I still use my Hard Nox knee and shin pads.
    They’re abit sweaty cos they are neoprene but they have saved my skin and bones many times.

And I’ve still got a Special K tshirt 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Nike Nguba (still got a pair). Wierd name but did the job well, and I bought them second hand, they’re still going strong.

Got one of the early Mint Sauce cycling jerseys in orange too. Way too small for me now but MFL junior likes the look of it, so I’ll hand it down to him I think.

Didn’t Bean bag make the original race kit for Orange bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘MTB clothing brands of the early to mid 90s’ is closed to new replies.