Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MTB Chainset – Bang for your buck
  • bratty

So, I am looking for a crankset/chainset for what will be my commuting bike which will also be used for winter mtbing – and maybe some summer mtbing when I dont want to take my main mtb. I normally use a double – good enough for the Alps, but does not need expensive wide range cassettes which are wasted for commuting. I used to think the Shimano M675 SLX was the ideal – as light as XT, but a lot cheaper.

So what is the best bang for buck double out there these days – the criteria is good value, plentiful but cheap rings, not too heavy, some form of Hollowtech 2 design for a 68 or 73mm threaded bottom bracket.

Any ideas?

matt_outandabout

Deore, occasionally SLX in a sale.

/EndThread

joebristol

Every time I’ve looked for a cheap ish chainset Deore has looked a good option. Bought some 2020 for about £40 and was impressed how nice they were when they arrived.

I also think some raceface alloy cranks look decent and are sometimes on offer and can use hollowtech bbs.

coconut
    Free Member

Deore 10 speed.

supernova

Deore. Simple, tough, inexpensive.

mrmoofo

SLX does every thing you need!
    However, I bought 165 length (and hate it)
    If anyone wants to swap for a 170MM ….

bratty

Thanks everyone, I did consider the new SLX, but the double looks like it has one of those big rings that will be hard to replace in a few years once Shimano stop making them (I got stung before when I had a Middleburn duo)

Is there any real difference between the current Deore chainsets – I normally use 8 or 9 speed cassettes for commuting, so I presume the 10sp is best?

dove1

@bratty – I have an SLX M677 double (38-24) in my spares box that I want to sell.
    Drop me a DM if you’re interested.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, get an older SLX secondhand for cheaps.

Double chainsets not in high demand.

stevextc
    Free Member

However, I bought 165 length (and hate it)
    If anyone wants to swap for a 170MM ….

I’d swap that for 170mm M785 XT or Saint. (Both 104BCD)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.