• This topic has 49 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • MTB. 1978-2016. RIP
  • Squirrel

E bikes. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be buying one soon enough: I’m getting on a bit and will need some help to get up the hills in the not too distant. Let’s be honest with ourselves here: mountain-biking is tough: I’ve been at it for around 25 years and I’m lucky enough to ride most days. Result is that I’m permanently tired: close my eyes and I will fall asleep, never mind what I’m doing. Watching TV? Yep. Driving? Absolutely. Washing-up? Oh yes. When I started out all those years ago it was tough and as I got fitter I just went further, higher and faster (OK, maybe not faster), so it was still tough. Wouldn’t we all like it to be as much fun as it is bit a little easier? Go on, admit it. Some might resist longer than others, and there will always be a few retro types who will be (literally) left behind on their pedal bikes but the future is here.
    Within a (very) few years, MTBing will be effectively dead and gone.
    Bring on the haterz. I’ll go get my coat…..

STATO
    Free Member

Bring on the haterz. I’ll go get my coat…..

Not for me… cant afford an ebike

fathomer

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nedrapier

Just like the motorbike killed road cycling.

What’s next? Rowing?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am sure more folk will use them as they become better and I might use one just to appreciate the downhills more but for me it would need to be a full on downhill bike

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is Bez
    He’s on a bike.
    He’s on E.

This is the future….The E-Bike

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d never get a mtb ebike, if I’m not well enough to pedal a bit how would I manage all the other physical demands required to ride of road in any meaningful way ? Hybrid ebike, something to get me out in the lanes and paths definitely.

STATO
    Free Member

I’d never get a mtb ebike, if I’m not well enough to pedal a bit how would I manage all the other physical demands required to ride of road in any meaningful way ?

I think you kind of missed the point there a little bit… or a mile

ads678

Some might resist longer than others, and there will always be a few retro types who will be (literally) left behind on their pedal bikes but the future is here.

Bunch of arse!

nickc

Of all the pictures on the internets, of course there’s going to be one of Bez, baseball bat held casually over a shoulder, sat astride a blinged out child’s bike in a Northern back yard…

Makes perfect sense.

cooie

No it won’t!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Could be worse…..

ddmonkey

Bez needs to put a bit of air in his back tyre.

edhornby

we won’t all be on them – I certainly won’t, there are a big proportion of the MTBers that appreciate the unfussy simplicity of razzing about on the woods on a hardtail for the enjoyment of the excercise, and consider that a lot of folk don’t buy a new bike every year, they just carry on with the one they have until it dies

there will be lots of people who will have em, fair play, I like seeing people out on bikes 🙂

Squirrel

Thanks Ed, that’s the kind of reply I was hoping for really.Some good reasons for good ole mtbing having a real future. I won’t be on an e-bike until I have to be, I’m just wondering if it’ll be too much of a temptation for all of us in the end.

philjunior
    Free Member

A lot of my favourite routes involve carrying up. If you’re too unfit to ride an unassisted bike, good luck carrying your e-bike.

edit: Not that I’m particularly against them, just unlikely to be the thing for me at any point. Going slower and slower on less and less gnarly rides, far more likely.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Thanks Ed, that’s the kind of reply I was hoping for

Thank God Someone has told him its OK – can we move on and talk about real bikes now please.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m just wondering if it’ll be too much of a temptation for all of us in the end.

For people who don’t actually enjoy the physical aspect of cycling yes and use a bike to get from A – B then yes, they are good and I can see them increasing.
    For those of us who cycle firstly because they love riding bikes but secondly (and very close second) because it is providing very good exercise at the same time.

What would be the point of going out ‘cycling’ on an eBike and then having to go to gym/do some other form of exercise to keep physically fit?

Euro
    Free Member

if I’m not well enough to pedal a bit how would I manage all the other physical demands required to ride of road in any meaningful way ?

What kind of illness are you planning on getting?

I’m off the bike at present and have been for over 5 months. I can still ride a bike downhill (last two times i was out it was an uplift day) but for the moment i can’t sit down and pedal. An e-bike sounds ideal (as long as you don’t have to pedal uphill). Lack of money to spend on another bike and the hope that i’ll soon be back in the game is what’s stopping me from getting one. Oh, and the scorn from judgemental internet strangers of course 😛

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Until they become very popular and are banned from certain types of trail – bridleways, trail centres, bike parks. Then they will be treated like motorbikes and only allowed on very restricted areas.

Of course they will still be ridden but it will reduce the appeal. When I started on Mountain bikes in the 80’s they really weren’t very well tolerated and it’s been many years of progress and acceptance to get where we are today.

Start whizzing around on electric bikes all over the place and there’s going to be real upset.

Which will be a shame as in my 40’s now and do consider the electric bike could be very handy as I get older and may extend my riding time.

philjunior
    Free Member

Until they become very popular and are banned from certain types of trail – bridleways, trail centres, bike parks. Then they will be treated like motorbikes and only allowed on very restricted areas.

There are already adequate regs for e-bikes – and anything that doesn’t meet them is classed as a motorbike. Of course enforcement of them is a lot harder than for an out and out motorbike, but if they become a nuisance I’m sure some enforcement (or further regulations to enhance tamper resistance on bikes that meet the regulations) will allow continued use by those that would benefit from the enhanced mobility they offer.

taxi25
    Free Member

@Euro, not planning any illness. But eventually age will take a general physical toll. Maybe some people ride differently to me but after a good demanding descent I can be as tired as after a climb !! People can get what they want, I can only say what I’ll be doing or not doing. By the way you have to pedal an ebike, you put some in it gives you more back.

scuttler

It ain’t proper mountain biking unless its over your shoulders.

maxlite
    Free Member

No way….67 next year and i need a new cross bike….not a bloody ebike

scandal42
    Free Member

🙄

Terrible effort

funkweasel
    Free Member

If your pleasure is riding down trails, and you struggle you propel yourself up to the top of them, who am I or anyone to tell you that you shouldn’t get up there any way you can?

The only thing that’ll get me on an e-bike is either a test ride or being incapable of climbing under my own steam.
    Oh, or cheating on Strava.

woodster

I just went further, higher and faster (OK, maybe not faster), so it was still tough

And yet you’re saying we’ll all choose the easy option.

The best days I have on the bike end with me exhausted mentally and physically and never more content.

The lazy bloke inside me may suggest I’d be better off taking it easy, but he’s wrong. I’ll have an e-bike when the time comes that I can no longer ride as I want to, but not before.

nedrapier

just wondering if it’ll be too much of a temptation for all of us in the end.

Multiple gears, suspension and electronic shifting are tempting too!

km79
    Free Member

just wondering if it’ll be too much of a temptation for all of us in the end.

Only when they come out with an ebike so stealthy that no-one else can tell it apart from normal bike.

zippykona

If you are as tired as you say might I suggest a medical rather than a new bike?

Northwind

I remember when the block-and-tackle was invented and everyone stopped weightlifting, it was a tragedy. And how about when the gun was invented and the sports of javelin throwing and archery died!

Seriously though. More people will ride bikes, just that some of them will be electric. Me, if I get to the point where the pedalling is too much (my ****ed leg or back get me or some other injury probably, rather than old age) I’ll get an e-bike and I won’t waste a second on agonising as to whether I’m killing cycling, it’ll keep riding alive for many people for longer.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

My wife hooted with laughter when I explained the concept to her. “So you spend all that money to enable you to go out on a bike ride without getting the benefits of going out on a bike ride? Easier to stay on the sofa isn’t it?”

Northwind

Pff, I ride bikes despite the fitness benefit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah, our legs may get heavier, our knees weaker and our will to come away from the fireside and head out into the cold, wet, dark night with the lights may falter, but it’s not our body’s fault.

An e-Bike looks like a way to over-come our failing body and get back to those days decades ago when we couldn’t wait to get out there – but it won’t – it’s not our body’s fault.

A e-bike will let you go through the motions for a little while longer, you might think it’s the answer, but really it’s the last straw – yeah it’s easier getting to the top – that’s not why we do it, we live for the downs – and that’s where it’ll feel blunt, boring, slow and heavy.

No, it’s not our body’s fault – it’s always been that way, we ride, we tire, we crash, it hurts, we get up in the morning on Monday feeling like we’ve spent the night in a cement mixer when the rest of the world is at it’s most rested and ready, we’re at our lowest with age it gets a bit harder, but the will goes first.

No – an e-bike isn’t the answer – another hobby is – too many people do the same thing for too long, way past the point it’s fun anymore – MTBers are no different, many are here because long ago they decided they needed exorcise, only to find they found a passion – when the passion goes, all that remains is a chore.

When the time comes for me, I don’t know what I’ll do, probably get a motorbike – I’ve got a licence, but when I had a bike I never used it, because my MTB was more fun then my CBR so when time was my own and the sun shined I was out on my MTB, when it rained and the CBR would be a chore, I was still out on my MTB.

If I was the OP, I’d quit riding, find something else to do – if you think your body is worn out, let it heal – don’t go near a bike till Spring, not even if you want to, leave it be – come March, you’ll either be dying to get back on it, or you’ll know it’s over for you. It’s not the end of the world, hobbies come and go, find some new passion in life.

ninfan
    Free Member

More people will ride bikes, just that some of them will be electric. Me, if I get to the point where the pedalling is too much (my ****ed leg or back get me or some other injury probably, rather than old age) I’ll get an e-bike and I won’t waste a second on agonising as to whether I’m killing cycling, it’ll keep riding alive for many people for longer.

+1

welshfarmer

Still plenty of people cross country/telemark/mountaineer ski, despite the rise of the ski lift. Plenty of people take to the water on wind surfers and sail boats, despite motorboats and jet skis being cheap and available.

Like everything, the”easy” option will certainly attract more than its’ fair share of proponents (outside of those who have no choice), while traditionalists and proper (tongue firmly in cheek) sports-people will choose to stick to unmechanised forms of transport.

seadog101

To put them in the bracket as MTB is just wrong. These are motor vehicles, use them by all means, but you are not a mountain biker.

martymac

quoted from above,
    “For people who don’t actually enjoy the physical aspect of cycling yes and use a bike to get from A – B then yes, they are good and I can see them increasing.
    For those of us who cycle firstly because they love riding bikes but secondly (and very close second) because it is providing very good exercise at the same time.”

yes, thats pretty much it.

i have one, ive used it to cycle to/from work, (i live 33 miles away) ive also used it to go camping with (pulls all my gear easily) and its brilliant for that.

its definitely not a motor bike, you still need to put some effort in to ride it, but its certainly easier than a normal bike.
    but i think id hesitate to call it a mountain bike, its not responsive in the way that a good mtb is, either to pedal input, or direction changes.

somafunk

To put them in the bracket as MTB is just wrong. These are motor vehicles, use them by all means, but you are not a mountain biker.

Why do folk get so uptight/upset about ebike’s?, perhaps it says more about how they wish others to perceive you as a rufty-tufty all mountain action-hero mtb’r or maybe their ego’s cannot comprehend how it will open up the joys of riding to everyone, whether they have a medical issue or not is beside the point.

I posted about my demo of an ebike here – so i demo’ed a scott spark ebike on holiday….. , only 9 weeks till it arrives and i’ll make sure and post up pics to upset the haters 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘MTB. 1978-2016. RIP’ is closed to new replies.