Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • M&S still asking for my Christian name? Outdated or ok?
  • Edukator
    Free Member

Nom(s), prénom(s)… *********** sexe… oui

tjagain

GlennQuagmire – I find standing up and being counted in the fight against prejudice important. I wish more would do so.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

GlennQuagmire – I find standing up and being counted in the fight against prejudice important. I wish more would do so.

Feel free. Enjoy.

But chill….

tjagain

Oh I do – I don’t get angsty or upset about it.

*Holds head in hands – it’s like being surrounded by an impressionable bunch of precious 6th formers on here.

If someone asks for your Christian name, just tell them the name your parents/mates call you ffs. What more needs to be made of it, seriously?????

nealglover
    Free Member

I agree.

But I don’t think some old lady in M&S using a slightly outdated (but widely accepted) term, counts as “prejudice” really.

tjagain

What would you say if someone asked you for your Muslim name? anyway what my dad and my friends call me is not my given first name 🙂

Language is important in inclusiveness – this is why “christian name” is now no longer used much.

I don’t have a Muslim name TJ, as I’m not from Muslim descendancy. We’ve always called our primary name a Christian name in the UK, regardless of whether we are Christian or not – handwringers and virtue signallers who now deem this inappropriate boil my piss to be honest, it’s just another nonsense protest against nothing in a pathetic attempt to appear PC.

Rubber_Buccaneer

tjagain – Member 
    What would you say if someone asked you for your Muslim name?

I’d probably say Mohamed, it’d be the first thing to pop into my head

Rubber_Buccaneer

boil my piss

My piss has never ever boiled, no idea how that would happen. Act of god?

tjagain

And with that you show your inability to understand privilege or prejudice.

I don’t have a Christian name. I am not baptised. How about a hindu man – does he have a Christian name?

Its just outdated – thats all. rightly so because it excludes a significant part of the population

Its not a hugely important issue but its that drip drip effect that adds up to something not nice if yo are not of Christian descent

Rubber_Buccaneer

And with that you show your inability to understand privilege or prejudice

Do you understand my lack of concern?

I’m not a Christian – I don’t believe in God. I don’t get all offended on behalf of nobody if someone asks my Christian name though. People have the right to a voice – if asked for a Christian name, why not say Christianity has no place in my life, or beliefs, but people call me Jeremy, or Dave (in my case), thanks for asking – rather than getting all frothy mouthed about something that other faiths probably really aren’t that bothered about?

tjagain

rubber buccaneer- that was aimed at The artist formerly……. crossed posts

The artist – at what point did I suggest getting all frothing about it. I was asked above what I would do and my answer was much as you said

dunno really – its not something I have seen or been asked for for decades. I don’t find it offensive although those who are devout non christians might Probably just said something like ” you mean personal ( or first name) and family name”

Fair enough TJ – I probably got wrapped up in reading the whole tone of the thread and directed my response at you as the first responder.

And wine 😉

legend
    Free Member

Its just outdated – thats all. rightly so because it excludes a significant part of the population

and i’m sure that part of the population is lining up to thank you for being offended on their behalf

tjagain

No worries the artist

legend – and just where did I say I was offended? I even said the opposite

Its one of the things that makes me laugh on threads like this – people inventing offence taken by others.

nealglover
    Free Member

What would you say if someone asked you for your Muslim name?

Because that has never been an accepted term, that everybody understands, I would be confused and I would ask what they meant.

But, as that has never been an accepted term, and nobody knows what it means, I’m not sure why you would think asking such a rediculous question was worthwhile.

But I answered it, so maybe I’m the daft one. 😕

Northwind

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

I don’t have a Muslim name TJ, as I’m not from Muslim descendancy.

I’m not from christian descendancy so I guess I don’t have a christian name.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Picture the scene….

The OP and their other half are in bed, doing the duvet disco. It’s going well. Very well.

The other half yells in passionate tones, “Oh my God, that’s good! Keep going,”

OP stops, mid thrust…..”I’m sorry, but what did you say?”

😉

tjagain

Neal- to point out the ridiculousness of saying “Christian name” 😉

tjagain

sniggers at CFH

I’m not from christian descendancy so I guess I don’t have a christian name.

At what point in your grown up, adult life did you decide to start getting all precious about it though? When you realised you weren’t a Christian, or when you realised you could get offended about it on behalf of others?

Northwind

At what point in your grown up, adult life did you decide to start getting all precious about it though?

I didn’t. At which point in your grown up, adult life did you decide to start pretending other people were getting precious about things they’re not?

When I started reading the tripe spouted on here NW

Northwind

Ah well, I suppose it’s good that you know you’re doing it at least

You are responsible for a good percentage of it, so at least your trolling is getting a resonse – chapeau!

siwhite
    Free Member

And with that you show your inability to understand privilege or prejudice.

Meanwhile, in Syria…

Can you really not find any more pressing issues to get excited about?

tjagain

and another one who thinks that I was getting all excited about this

Superficial
    Free Member

Good Heavens / OMG* This thread is amazing.

It never even occurred to me that ‘christian name’ had a meaning beyond ‘first name’. Isn’t this just an example of when things get used by a populace, they get written into language? It might have vaguely religious origins but it becomes common parlance. The evolution of language? I can’t believe there are people on here who wish to halt the progression of English’s rich tapestry.

P.S. Mr TJ – how on Earth and when did you decide titles were bad? For what possible reason? That’s a hilariously banal thing to get upset about.

*Ironical effect intended. I don’t even believe in God/god/heaven and yet I understand the term. Wowzers.

chip
    Free Member

She sounds like a complete witch, how dare she use such offensive language. I bet she still addresses customers as sir and Madame simply based on their obvious physical appearance.

**** you m&s

You were completely correct to act like a Womble and then call her an old bint.

Northwind

You are responsible for a good percentage of it, so at least your trolling is getting a resonse – chapeau!

Ah so let me see if I understand… You admit that you were pretending I was getting precious, for some weird reason, and yet you think it’s me that’s trolling? Right on.

antigee

Frankenstein – Member
    Nice suit ^^^

Well I was collecting a parcel.

Yesterday just needed my surname and no I.D. I was wearing my suit…..

probably thought you worked there 8)

as to Christian name – it no longer reflects society – I complained at kid’s junior school for using it on forms and it got changed – once complained to M&S that by splitting children’s dressing up clothes into boys and girls (eg doctors and nurses) they were perpetuating gender stereotypes, got a letter back saying that “it reflected the wishes of the majority of their customers”

tjagain

superficial – another one who makes hyperbolic claims about others getting upset when its clear no one is. Why do people do this?

Edukator
    Free Member

Society evolves, sometimes we approve sometimes not. At a time when female versions of male jobs are being invented and “person” being used as a suffix rather than man or woman, why are the Guardian journalists not using “actress” for a female who acts? Jokes about the actor and the bishop just don’t work.

wilburt
    Free Member

Will we ever find out why M&S need your christian/first/given/mulsim name?

piemonster

tjagain – Member
    superficial – another one who makes hyperbolic claims about others getting upset when its clear no one is. Why do people do this?

It basically boils down to the words you use to communicate. HTH 😛

Anyway, if someone asked me what my Muslim name was. Frankly I wouldn’t GAF. And my response would simply be to my first name as a guess at what they’re after. I don’t think I’d even manage confusion in the event.

I’d then, in idle curiosity based chit chat almost certainly ask a question as to what it’d be.

andyrm
    Free Member

Anyway, if someone asked me what my Muslim name was. Frankly I wouldn’t GAF. And my response would simply be to my first name as a guess at what they’re after. I don’t think I’d even manage confusion in the event.

I’d then, in idle curiosity based chit chat almost certainly ask a question as to what it’d be.

Same here. Sometimes I think in this current desperate need to appear “inclusive”, all we as a society do is highlight little, innocuous and irrelevant differences and make them into issues.

Out of interest, while chatting to a lifelong friend last night online about both of our upcoming babies’ births, I sent him a link to this thread. He happens to be Muslim, practicing but also westernised as 3rd generation. His response when I asked what he’d say if asked his Christian name? “Shahzad innit. What the **** else am I going to say?”.

crankboy
    Free Member

Jesus what 30s backwater do you lot live in . No one uses “Christian name” anymore its not viture signalling or sjw handwriting to find it’s use so odd its worthy of comment.
    For what it’s worth if I ever do go to Chipping Norton or where ever I will politely say I don’t have a Christian name but my first name is Kenton.

legend
    Free Member

Because your inability to not respond to every single point makes it look like you are heading for froth-max…..

…… and for teh lolz

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘M&S still asking for my Christian name? Outdated or ok?’ is closed to new replies.