Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • MS Excel 2013 – a rant for the boring folk, like me
  • dannyh
    Free Member

It really is shit, isn’t it.

Clunky, unstable, slow and not very nice to look at.

I recently had an enforced ‘upgrade’ to 2013 at work and it has buggered up some stuff that was dependent on 2010 (that’s not my main gripe, though).

The thing keeps crashing, won’t display workbooks that I’ve opened unless I minimize the program and then click on them, and does funny things selecting cells as though I want to edit them rather than just select them. It is rapidly becoming the bane of my working life and I cannot see any positives with it. It seems to have been dumbed down for halfwits in many areas whilst losing a lot of stability and performance.

Bill Gates can go **** himself.

maxtorque

The only upside is you can play the “lets spot the obvious bugs the dev team all missed” game as you (attempt) to use it!

It’s quite clear the dev team have never actually used it for work, as they have spent the time making buttons animated and 3d coloured and other such s**t like that, rather than checking the basic capabilities still work…….

Cougar

Bill Gates hasn’t been at the helm of MS for over ten years.

footflaps

Yep, runs 10-20 slower than 2010 when doing pure number crunching.

funkmasterp

I hate it when you open a workbook and nothing happens. Makes me swear more than the previous version.

dannyh
    Free Member

Bill Gates hasn’t been at the helm of MS for over ten years.

Don’t you go giving me this fact nonsense when I’ve had a crap day working with shonky spreadsheets. I really do feel they have screwed up this time, though. It really is rubbish and I believe a lot of businesses are holding off going from 2010 to 2013 and leapfrogging to 2016. Good for them.

By the way, Cougar, when is the STW forum going to get a decent search function so I don’t go to google to find threads in the forum?

And Bill Gates can go **** himself anyway.

Sandwich

There’s some great ‘undocumented features’ in the Mac version. Cell adjacent to the top margin and the margin hidden? You can’t click in it with the mouse!
    Many tabs in your workbook, the arrows bottom left don’t work to change tab! use right click and you get a new window to scroll down to find your tab or just click on it direct. What are those arrows for?
    It’s a crash-fest too. Lose all your work if you have to work in another programme for 30 minutes or more with the worksheet in the background. Save before you switch or you won’t be able to when you go back in 35 minutes.

footflaps

I just run Excel 2010 64 bit and have persuaded most of my colleagues to downgrade from Office 2013 / 2016 / 365.

It’s fast and stable.

I develop VBA apps and stability on 2013 / 2016 is much worse than 2010. Most customer problems can just be fixed by down grading their version of office. For the ones who can’t, due to IT Policy etc, they just have to live with random lock ups / crashes of Excel. Complete PITA that newer versions are less reliable.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, I’m seriously considering doing without the program that I had to convert to 2013 to get and asking IT to downgrade me back to 2010. Our MI guys warned me about 2013, but the IT guy rocked up and didn’t tell me he would have to install Office 2013 so I could have the program. By the time he logged off and left I found that when the PC restarted 2013 was installed.

The only problem is it is our Finance system / General Ledger that needed the 2013 Office platform and I am an accountant!

It’s a total joke and I am really quite pissed off about it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s a crash-fest too.

And I thought it was just the PCs/installs I’ve been working on – not exactly glad to know I’m not the only one suffering.

Lose all your work if you have to work in another programme for 30 minutes or more with the worksheet in the background. Save before you switch or you won’t be able to when you go back in 35 minutes.

The (kind of) upside here is that it’s always saving versions in your C: user profile, so there’s a decent chance of a recent copy of your work bring available. That got me out of the shit last week when the network suddenly went kaput for 4 days.

prettygreenparrot

2016 seems OK. Aside from the occasional ScarePoint OnLine problem I’ve found it OK on Windows 7. And the inclusion of textjoin() means I don’t have to faff about enabling macros to load a VBA script that did the same thing for me.

Even 2016 on macOS is OK.

Though its smartness still amuses me when folks double click to open a CSV file and find excel has helpfully converted ID numbers to dates and biomarker names and genes to stock ticker IDs.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thing that annoys me is that all that stuff I’d learned about formatting, field codes, etc…. Now useless.

Thanks Microsoft ya ****!

Was the same with Autocad (but thankfully I’m now mostly in Revit)

gobuchul
    Free Member

All the “upgraded” office apps look shit.

Don’t start me on Outlook. 👿

Whoever thinks that the interface is an improvement want a good shoeing.

jam-bo

I think this thread can be summarised as:

wwwwwwaaaaaaa. dont like change….

footflaps

And the inclusion of textjoin() means I don’t have to faff about enabling macros to load a VBA script that did the same thing for me.

What does this do which “&” didn’t?

PJM1974
    Free Member

We’ve had a forced upgrade and it’s complete and utter toilet.

sl2000

Let’s you specify a range – so =TEXTJOIN(” “, TRUE, A1:A8) instead of =(A1 & ” ” & A2 & ” ” & A3 & ” ” & etc

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘MS Excel 2013 – a rant for the boring folk, like me’ is closed to new replies.