Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MRP Ramp Control experiences?
  • CalamityJames
    Free Member

Looking into fitting one of these, and wondered if anybody has one to advise on? I only have one bike (hardtail) so needs to work on all trails; sometimes local XC loops and others trail centres, so being able to adjust the feel would be great. Anybody have one and recommend it, or is it something that’ll rarely get fettled with?

orangespyderman

I have one on the Fox 34 Perf Elite on my Jeffsy.  It’s useful, really, and does get adjusted reasonably regularly, but not during a ride (unless I really got it wrong).  If I’m out for a bit of a bimble I’ll wind it out to 6 clicks from wide open to use as much travel over smaller hits as possible; if I’m feeling gnarlier or on bigger terrain I’ll tend to run 12-14.  I can’t really tell the difference between a single click so I think it would actually be better if there were just 8 positions rather than 16, but that doesn’t really matter.  Not sure I can really tell the difference between 0 and 4 clicks either, but certainly after 6 or 8 clicks you can feel a difference and 12+ is noticeably different from 6.

For what you describe (going from XC to trail centres) I think it’s worth looking at, if the fork is otherwise pretty well setup for you.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Thanks for this, exactly what I was hoping/expecting. I’m running a 2018 Pike and generally happy with setup, though have been swapping tokens about and prefer two for some rides and three for others. Sounds like the cartridge would help for sure.

old_mtber
    Free Member

Recently fitted one to my Fox 34’s as I struggled to get a decent set up using just the tokens.

I’m very pleased with the results. Easy to adjust on the trail and means I can run a proper 25% sag but still dial in enough ramp as the occasion demands.

My only slight criticism is that the top cap does not have quite enough thread so you do need to make sure it is secure after any air volume adjustment.

Recommended.

Scamper
    Free Member

Had one in my 160 Yari.  The issue I had was trying to get the balance between mid travel support, ramp up and plushness off the top. Using tokens and air would fix one, but then adversely affect the other. For example, less tokens meant less harsh ramp up, but needed more air so less plushness off the top..  More tokens, less air, so more plushness but ramp up too harsh.  The ramp control basically allowed me to isolate the ramp up and get that right without effecting the rest of the travel so could run less air giving more plushness off the top.

Having said that, I now have the amazing luftkappe, so no need for the ramp control – this gives even more plushness and mid travel support which obviously the MRP is not really designed for.  I think the ramp control on its plushest setting was equiv of 1.5 tokens, but with a the luftkappe in, ramp up was a little harsh so I run no tokens at all.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

I have the MRP fork which contains this cart.

they are fitted on a 29er hardtail set with 120mm of squish.

Trails I ride tend to be a little choppy, I find that the ramp up controls it nicely. not really ridden the bike on anything that is smooth such as a trail center so not really fiddled with the ramp up too much, but do change a click or 2 depending on how steep the trail is. Had a set of solo air revs on previously, and wouldn’t go back to those after the MRP.

letmetalktomark

I have a 100mm Yari that given its relative “lack of travel” can be super sensitive to pressure and tokens.

Running three tokens its plush initially but I rarely get more than 75mm travel – This is riding in the badlands of Suffolk though!

I had thought about a ramp control as its another dial to play with!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MRP Ramp Control experiences?’ is closed to new replies.