Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • MRP 2X Chain device
  • excitable1
    Free Member

http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/2x/

Anyone fitted one of these yet ?

I’m thinking of replacing my 44T outer ring with this (on a Sram XO 10 speed 3 ring set up).

Any thoughts, reviews. How does the pulley system compare to the usual roller ?

barbs
    Free Member

Just fitted one (well the lbs did) on a new XT 38/26 2×10 and it works like a dream, don’t even notice it and can’t hear it either. Definitely recommended.

excitable1
    Free Member

Thanks Barbs (that was the name of my recently departed mother in law – I’d pretty spooked if that’s you Barbs and your now giving out MTB advice from the grave 😯 !!!)

I was going for one of these or maybe the Gamut P30. Can’t decide. I thought the MRP might be more compatible given they make it for Truativ and Sram and it’s on the XO web site.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hilton83
    Free Member

If your fitting this to a bike with a triple ring crank i dont think the chain lines between that and the device will line up correctly, i was under the impression that the MRP 2X was designed with 2X10 cranksets in mind, i ran an e-thirteen DRS when i went from a triple ring to a double and bash set up, which was brilliant, although i have gone 1X10 with an MRP mini G2 now.

excitable1
    Free Member

Hilton – you might be right. I’ve had differing opinions from different LBS’s and many others. I e-mailed the distributors for MRP who originally said it was ok then when I pointed a few things out to them they think they’ve changed their minds (unconfirmed yet though – they’re speaking to Sram & MRP).

When I first looked at the MRPx2 I thought I might have to change the 2 remaining chain rings which meant changing the spider too, just from what was on the MRP web site, but then one LBS said not if I was using the ISCG mounted version.

From what you’ve said it would be less about the size of the chain rings but more about the spacings dictated by everything else between 2×10 and 3×10 set up. Would changing the 2 chain rings and spider not get over this though ?

chrismac

If you goto the FAQ’s from the link at the top of the thread it says that they are fine with a triple crank along as you take the outer chain ring off.

hilton83
    Free Member

I’ve neve actually had my hands on a 2X10 crankset so I’ve no idea how different the chain lines actually are 🙁 I do wish manufacturers could be more helpfull with the products they expect us to pay a small fortune for!

excitable1
    Free Member

Despite it saying this on the FAQ’s of the MRP web site:

What kind of cranks is the 2x compatible with?
    The 2x is compatible with a wide variety of cranks from several different brands. It was originally conceived to work with the new variety of double cranks on market, but it can also be used with traditional triple cranks. To use with triple cranks, you must remove the outer ring (generally a 44t) and swap some washers in the guide’s pulley assembly as outlined in the instructions. You should not change the position of any of the other rings. You will need either short chairing bolts or chainring bolt spacers if converting a triple crank to a double configuration.

This is the official line:

The chainline wont be correct for your chainset.
    The lower guide has restricted movement, and it won’t get close enough to your 33T middle ring. It will compromise your chain retention and security.

So to chanage a tripple ring XO set up so it is compatiable with the new MRP 2x chain device you need to change both the remaining chain rings and the spider 😡 !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘MRP 2X Chain device’ is closed to new replies.