Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mr. Olympia 2016
  • jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWyHRDCJkhI[/video]

I’ve never seen any of this type of thing live. Bizarre is not the word. Mr. Body Dismorphia.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Mr Paralympia 2016

RobHilton
    Free Member

The dedication is amazing, but they look hideous to my eyes

5thElefant
    Free Member

The live shows are great. The audience are nearly as big as the competitors but their are 1000s of them.

aracer
    Free Member

Do the audience also dye themselves?

theotherjonv

The faces are just amazing.

Supergrainy and dry.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Give Kevin Levrone a googling. What he’s achieved this year is incredible.

ton

less than 5% body fat, and dehydrated to the point of liver failure for compatition.

my old rugby coach was a NABBA champion. very odd strict driven life he led.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Just had a look at that video feed and the fella on stage was wearing a thong made out of a dairy milk foil wrapper.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yeah, its a bit wierd, but quite impressive. Must also take incredible dedication with diet too.

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite sure impressive is the word I’d use – I’m not particularly impressed, just slightly baffled. The really bizarre thing is that I think the current guy on is black, but I’m really not entirely sure.

Caher

As like Ton said above. Had a mate who gave up a promising rugby career to be a bodybuilder. Dedication or obsession.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hard to tell if admirable or worrying

then again its not like Tdf Winners would look good in a pair of speedos

It just looks hideous and unnatural the muscles, the poses and the frightening colours of them all

aracer
    Free Member

or the vast majority of us lot!

Though personally I’d far rather have a body like a top level triathlete – or maybe a rower, or probably any competitor in a sport where the muscles are functional.

PrinceJohn

My ex girlfriend is a body builder. Weird lifestyle barely covers it. She got into it as she had poor body image and disordered eating.
    The dedication to follow the diet helps with such disorders. Kind of. And always hitting the gym and lifting has its benefits.
    However. And it’s a big however, as has already been touched upon the guys and girls when in competition are horrifically unhealthy and the amount of pills and potions they all take (even the non steroid abusing ones) aren’t doing themselves any favours long term.

As far as I could work out from seeing a compression live and meeting and hearing about the competitors the vast majority of them are obsessed beyond my comprehension and have all got x factor level sob stories about how much they used to hate themselves.

mrhoppy

Andy Turner took it up after he retired from the hurdles. Read an article he’d written on what it took, amazing dedication but very strange.

5thElefant
    Free Member

As far as I could work out from seeing a compression live and meeting and hearing about the competitors the vast majority of them are obsessed beyond my comprehension and have all got x factor level sob stories about how much they used to hate themselves.

Nobody I know/knew had any self hate stories. They all got into training via other sports and then found they liked the training itself more than the old sport.

The obsession/dedication is no more than any other sport, just a bit more visible than for a snooker player.

BoardinBob

Give Kevin Levrone a googling. What he’s achieved this year is incredible

Aged 52 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, and six months ago he looked like he’d never set foot in a gym.

MoreCashThanDash

😆 at the reactions.

I spent 20 years on the fringes of that world. It’s crazy. Like any peak human achievement, it takes more work and dedication than outsiders can believe.

It’s one of the reasons I get less bent out of shape about drug use in cycling than some on here. It’s wrong and it’s cheating, but some of the wierd shit and side effects I’ve seen with friends, we ain’t got nothing to worry about!

jimjam
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

at the reactions.

Like any peak human achievement

Get a grip.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s impressive the dedication they put into it, but boy a lot of people who do this stuff are narcissistic. I’ve worked with folk who do it and they think all women adore them and everyone should be in awe 😆 Their fear of running was pure hilarity. Also some of the crap they took 😯 Listening to the weird potions and bizarre things they did made it sound like a witches brew.

5thElefant
    Free Member

They sound like cyclists! 😆

ton

as a naturally big bloke, i cant understand the obsession to be big.
    being big is a pain in the arse sometimes. clothes shopping can be a nightmare.

wiggles
    Free Member

Pfft, I’ve got more fat on my body than all of them out together

dudeofdoom

That whey powders powerful stuff 🙂

Was surprised to hear that some of the Trendy corporate gyms around here had sharps bins whereas the gym I went to didn’t as the view was if you wanted to inject you should be doing it at home.

As stated above the level of work and dedication required is insane but this what makes winners in all sport.

Always found injections for a suntan weird though.

jimjam
    Free Member

ton – Member

as a naturally big bloke, i cant understand the obsession to be big.
    being big is a pain in the arse sometimes. clothes shopping can be a nightmare.

A lot of those guys seem to be pretty short, or certainly not giant. 5’6 to 5’8 looks to be an average height so you’d imagine some of them have small man syndrome. Or started off as that and morphed into a serious case of body dismorphia, combined with lucrative opportunities to wack off on webcams for arab businessmen 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure it is one of those activities I think it is good to aspire to. It’s a pretty unhealthy lifestyle even without the drug abuse and spending hours upon hours in the gym staring at yourself and other people in mirror can’t be good for your sense of body image or normality. In most other sports your body is the result of the activity in the pursuit of performance improvement in whatever sport you do, this is about body modification for no useful outcome other than aesthetics. But each to their own, different strokes for different blokes.

zilog6128

Watched some of the live stream yesterday, couldn’t work out why the commentators kept saying they’d like to see the competitors “more dry”. At first I thought they were moaning about too much baby oil or something, then I twigged they meant “dehydrated” (so the muscles would look more defined)! A bizarre & probably unhealthy world, a bit like a human crufts I suppose (but at least with this the competitors actually get a choice to do it!).

LeeW

5thElefant – Member

Yeah, and six months ago he looked like he’d never set foot in a gym.

Once you’ve trained to the level he has in the past though you’d be surprised how quick it comes back.

dknwhy

Re:the dry comments above, I watched a documentary on it once and one of the guys was saying that pre event, he would dehydrate so much that it was painful to walk on the soles of his feet. Madness.

hora
    Free Member

As a kid I hit the gym alot. More circuit training though than mass but I was thick set/stocky. Almost daily I was offered Steroids. Always turned it down but lots in my gym hit roids hard. I admit I ate alot of chicken etc though 🙂

Fast forward to Manchester- at the gym there everyone was on growth hormones and I mean everyone. There was discussion about ‘get me that protein shake sorted for me yeah’? I was offered them and other stuff too. Crackers. I doubt anyone gets anywhere near ^^^^ builds without growth hormones etc. So, definitely not for me.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve trained for 30 odd years at my own smaller level and think bodybuilding is fantastic. In my limited time to either train or ride the training normally wins. The pump after and the feeling of strength is hard to beat so for those guys with their ability it must be very very addictive.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mr. Olympia 2016’ is closed to new replies.