Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Mr Cathro
  • Premier Icon daviek

Looks like Ben is going to have a stab at racing again next year and document everything. I’m looking forward to it but unless hes going to be hooked up to coffee for an entire weekend I’ll miss the in depth stuff.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

Think it could be essential viewing!

Premier Icon moonsaballoon

looking forward to this , Ben’s a really likeable character and his world cup videos are brilliant for the race nerds .

It seems pretty hard just to qualify for a world cup final these days so i wish him the best of luck .

Premier Icon benv
    Free Member

Good luck to him, he’s been doing well with his media venture past couple seasons so maybe he can get some sponsorship. I wouldn’t worry about missing his videos too much though, I’d be very surpised if he managed to qualify for many world cups.

Premier Icon Northwind

Hope it works out, tbh it should make for good viewing even if it doesn’t lead to results or even qualifications…

Premier Icon kayak23

Love a bit of Cathro. Looking forwards to seeing him race world cups again. 🚴

Premier Icon howsyourdad1

He’ll qualify . oh yes

Premier Icon BoardinBob

I’d be very surpised if he managed to qualify for many world cups.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider761/ben-cathro/results/filters/dh/seriesgroups244,325/

Premier Icon ads678

Is he wearing the Santa Cruz t shirt on purpose on that vid. Is he reaching out for a sponsor….

Documentary will be interesting though, good luck to him.

Premier Icon benv
    Free Member

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider761/ben-cathro/results/filters/dh/seriesgroups244,325/

Not saying he is not a good rider, obviously he is, but age (he is what mid 30s now?) and lack of pro training catches up with anybody and the field hasn’t been so tight for a long time given the number of places in finals is down and number of great riders is up.

Loved to be proven wrong, I really like the guy and was one of the original supporters when he started looking for donations to cover his world cup coverage, chipping in for his flights and accommodation, but just don’t see it.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

he is what mid 30s now?

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Is he wearing the Santa Cruz t shirt on purpose on that vid

He’s ridden santa Cruz for years. Not an official sponsor as such but he gets deals on frames etc

Premier Icon kirkg
    Free Member

Don’t SC pay his expenses for traveling to world cups?

Premier Icon Speeder

Awesome. One of the best charaters on the circuit and it’s a great niche he’s carved for himself with the analysis vids. Very watchable and engaging. Look forward to seeing it. Best of luck.

I doubt he’ll struggle to qualify.

Premier Icon stanfree
    Free Member

Brilliant news and Max rendall makes decent videos under the sleeper guise so this should be great to watch. Good luck Cathro.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Top bloke!

Premier Icon dirkpitt74

Fair play Mr Cathro.
    Looking forward to seeing the results – on track and documentary.

Premier Icon yoshimi

kirkg

Posted 9 hours agoREPLY | REPORT

I don’t think so – I know Mudhugger send him a few quid but he’s open about that and shows them as a sponser – in the main it’s this for funding him….People contribute to his travel etc here

moonsaballoon

Subscriber
    looking forward to this , Ben’s a really likeable character and his world cup videos are brilliant for the race nerds .

It seems pretty hard just to qualify for a world cup final these days so i wish him the best of luck .

Posted 14 hours ago

Couldn’t have said it better myself – very excited about this!

Premier Icon hazzatrazza
    Free Member

There’s rumours going around that he will be teaming up with none other than the Denim Destroyer. The Denim Duo, sponsored by Levis.

Premier Icon chakaping

Well this was a nice surprise and more exciting than any of the #teamrumours so far.

He’s clearly very fast and competitive. Wonder what his personal target is? Top 30? Higher?

And will he now be keeping his line choice videos under wraps under after the race?

Premier Icon AlexSimon

That’s my recollection – for this year’s North American races at the very least

Premier Icon orena45
    Free Member

Comparing his race results, he’s only been a bit quicker than Jay Williamson in recent years.  Jay struggled to qualify for the World Cup finals in 2018 and didn’t bother this year (I think the cost of it all was likely a big factor).  Cathro will struggle to qualify but good luck to him.

Premier Icon dannyh

How long before the UCI apply some kind of sanction for reporting whilst racing?

Never let the UCI near anything fun.

Premier Icon chakaping

Comparing his race results, he’s only been a bit quicker than Jay Williamson in recent years.

But was that without training properly?

And bikes have been getting longer to suit his lanky frame better.

Premier Icon BoardinBob

Yeah he’s been balancing normal racing and riding with coaching and his newer media stuff. He’s a really fast rider/ racer. He can still dominate in the SES and SDA stuff

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider761/ben-cathro/results/filters/sort1by2/

Clever tactic to marry up the racing with the media stuff now. Would almost like to see someone partner his media stuff and give some insight when he’s on track. Smart lad and clearly looking at his longer term career options. I doubt he think’s he’ll blow the race scene open at this stage but it gives him a really unique insight that makes him stand out in the modern social media environment.

Wishing him all the success. On the occasions I’ve spoken to him he’s a cracking guy which clearly comes across in his videos. Love to see someone doing something good.

Premier Icon Trimix

Given his media like-ablity and profile it wont matter what his results are. People will watch and support him

Premier Icon hazzatrazza
    Free Member

I envisage him marrying some of his older enduro racing style vids with his newer Cathrovision stuff. Im going to enjoy seeing him analysing a section and seeing every ‘pro’ lining up behind him to get the line

Premier Icon chakaping

He’s going to end up in a lot of Fantasy DH teams, I reckon.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

Will be like “this is peaty” mixed with a documentary style series.

Premier Icon honourablegeorge
    Free Member

yoshimi

I don’t think so – I know Mudhugger send him a few quid but he’s open about that and shows them as a sponser – in the main it’s this for funding him….People contribute to his travel etc here

He announced (with massive grin) on his channel that SC would be picking up the tab for is travel to all the races last year

Premier Icon seosamh77

Looking forward to seeing this, should be great viewing!

Premier Icon orena45
    Free Member

But was that without training properly?

Fair point yeah.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Definitely hoping he can crank out some vids as well as some finals appearances all in one go 👍</span>

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

Is worth a grain of salt, but he got 13th at this year’s Crankworx Innsbruck DH, with plenty of big dogs in the field and I’m not even sure it was his own bike.
    Maybe luck, or everything suited him really well, I guess we’ll know this season.

Reminds me of Phil Kmetz (Skills with Phil channel), went to the US Open, got a really good result on an enduro bike, while also racing the enduro race.

Premier Icon duncancallum

Crack on.

Even if hes not top flight be nice too see the big man with a number on

Premier Icon stabilizers

I think there will be some good Wardell Cathro banter vids going on through the training.

Premier Icon Northwind

chakaping

Subscriber

And bikes have been getting longer to suit his lanky frame better.

To be fair, he could have been on a longer bike years ago if he wasn’t on santa cruz. “Our motto is, the biggest riders, on the shortest bikes”

Premier Icon Loughan
    Free Member

Absolutely love Mr Cathro’s channel but, for me the line analysis stuff was wearing thin. There’s only so many times I can watch a 5min section on entry/exit to a corner

The variety of earlier videos brought more of Ben’s personality onto the screen which is fun

Now married it will be interesting to see the dynamic duo covering racing/filming together & how that’s presented

I wish Ben happy healthy racing, the circuit definitely benefits from his presence

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.