Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • MPG real figures part two BMW and AUDI RAGE CONTENT!!!!
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

OK

Since my last post I have been trying to improve my mpg some based on tips given here and some based on the internet (hypermilers odd bunch)

I have increased it by an entire 12 mpg , im up to 52 mpg and over the past week havent managed to get more than that

Since doing this more sedate driving I have noticed that several things occur

You have so much more time to react.

you are far less stressed bimbling along.

You can drive to the speed limits and under them (shock horror).

You do actually get to your destination within a similar time frame to the previous get there at all costs driving mode.

I think it would be pretty difficult to run over pedestratians, cyclists ,baby robins. There so much time to notice and observe actual other road users rather than trying to keep up with the jones and arrive at the roundabout traffic lights at the same time anyway.

However it seems anyone with an Audi is wedged permanently up your arse in an attempt to push you to 42 mph in a 40.

For example this morning I chose the country lane route , in my rear view I could see nothing for miles ,yet out of nowhere came a black AUDI drivers arms flailing in disgust that I didn’t have my foot to the floor on a back country lane.

Second it seems that the BMW drivers main ability is to gun it out onto the roundabout, you can see them coming up to the junction, you think they will slow but NO they floor it in the hope they make it out of the junction and in front of you despite it being your right of way and then having to brake to avoid a collision.

I’m not sure if Audi drivers do the roundabout thing as I haven’t noticed those as much as the BMW’S but they also can get wedged up your arse even when your doing national speed limit on the bypass and only seem to be happy once they have forced you out the way and shot past.

Should I now just be working on my stamp as hard as I can brake technique as it seems driving legaly and improving your MPG as you go isnt tolerated so well by other motorists.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

6/10

Shows potential, but could do better.

chakaping
    Free Member

You forgot the Range Rovers.

Or is that what you drive?

stumpy01

Not sure I’ll get involved in the whole BMW/Audi driving standards thing – it just seems to be across all cars & all driver types as far as I can tell….

But this bit:

philxx1975 – Member

OK

Since my last post I have been trying to improve my mpg some based on tips given here and some based on the internet (hypermilers odd bunch)

I have increased it by an entire 12 mpg , im up to 52 mpg and over the past week havent managed to get more than that

Since doing this more sedate driving I have noticed that several things occur

You have so much more time to react.

you are far less stressed bimbling along.

You can drive to the speed limits and under them (shock horror).

You do actually get to your destination within a similar timeframe to the previous get there at all costs driving mode.

I think it would be pretty difficult to run over pedestratians cyclists ,baby robins. There so much time to notice and observe actual other road users rather than trying to keep up with the jones and arrive at the roundabout traffic lights at the same time anyway.

I agree wholeheartedly with.

I regularly drive to and from work at a max of 60mph, have become a bit of a joke among the ‘petrolheads’ at work who like to ‘make progress’, but I find that it is a much more pleasurable experience than trying to keep up with all the other morons on the road. Unless you are driving a very long way, the time lost from driving slower is negligible.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt
    Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt Surfmatt

slowoldman

Well there is “making progress” and there is being a total arse.

Donkeys years ago I used to navigate on rallies for a friend. Against the clock the red mist came down. When not competing he saw no reason to race around like a lunatic but he did seem to be able to traverse large distances quickly and comfortably without forever jumping on and off the throttle and brake. Probably a lot to do with competing in Group 1.

Smoothly does it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Second it seems that the BMW drivers main ability is to gun it out onto the roundabout,

That’s because BMW’s can actually go round corners pretty well compared to most cars on the road, where as an Audi has to slam the anchors on as they are quite hideous at going round corners.

Ps OP, just to pee you off a bit, I routinely get 60mpg out of my BMW, sometimes even 80mpg, and I still get to catch up mere mortals in their excuse for cars trying to get to 50mpg 😛

thecaptain
    Free Member

I solve the tailgating “problem” by not using rear view mirror.

(Getting a van made this easier, as it doesn’t haven’t anyway).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You forgot the Rage Rovers.

🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I drive pretty sedately normally. Not slowly but I’ve always aimed for ‘smooth’ – no sharp braking, turning or accelerating. Habit I picked up from riding motorbikes.

If you keep your head up and look out in front you can be smooth and still fast.

sharkattack

To be fair, I’d cottoned on to most of your recent epiphanies by the time I was done with puberty. Shock horror you can save juice and stay relaxed by driving slower.

You also have absolutely no control over other peoples behaviour. If they want to be a dick, let them go about their dickish business. You just do your thing and chill out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Smooth relaxed driving ftw.

burchill
    Free Member

philxx1975 – Member
    black AUDI drivers arms

What’s the colour of his/her skin got to do with it?

#triggered

shermer75
    Free Member

Maybe the tailgating Audis are drafting to increase their mpg?

chakaping
    Free Member

I solve the tailgating “problem” by not using rear view mirror.

(Getting a van made this easier, as it doesn’t haven’t anyway).

Ditto.

Also instantly made me content to calmly cruise around at sensible speeds.

stumpy01

FunkyDunc – Member

That’s because BMW’s can actually go round corners pretty well compared to most cars on the road, where as an Audi has to slam the anchors on as they are quite hideous at going round corners.

What has going round corners pretty well, got to do with pulling out onto a roundabout when it is not clear to do so…..?

Most of the BMW drivers I end up behind on the way into work tend to favour the ‘approach a corner way too quick, then brake round the entire corner’ technique, which is exactly how all the really quick drivers do it…… 🙄 😆

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I drive a 2010 BMW 635D. I bought it because they look nice, are a pleasure to drive, reliable, well made and practical (can get a bike in the boot)I get 41 mpg which is ridiculous for a car like that capable of 0-60 in 6 seconds and limited to 155mph but capable of doing 175 ish. But then I drive properly and use my brakes sparingly and accelerate moderately. I am proud of the fact I have been driving for 28 years and do not have a single point on my licence. I never break the speed limit and use my cruise control a lot in certain zones so I cannot go over the speed limit. Never in rush to go anywhere as I always give myself more time than needed to get to where I am going.
    In my opinion there are good and bad drivers regardless of the cars they drive and I do not tolerate those that drive up my back end.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I drive a 2010 BMW 635D. I bought it because they look nice, are a pleasure to drive, reliable, well made and practical (can get a bike in the boot)I get 41 mpg which is ridiculous for a car like that capable of 0-60 in 6 seconds and limited to 155mph but capable of doing 175 ish. But then I drive properly and use my brakes sparingly and accelerate moderately. I am proud of the fact I have been driving for 28 years and do not have a single point on my licence. I never break the speed limit and use my cruise control a lot in certain zones so I cannot go over the speed limit. Never in rush to go anywhere as I always give myself more time than needed to get to where I am going.

*swoon*

😛

alexxx
    Free Member

3.2 v6 with dsg gets you a smooth fast drive… also slick streaming is a must for me to try and achieve a figure closer to 27mpg than high teens.

As also mentioned I ride motorbikes and I think they teach you to drive more smoothly and read conditions better than most car drivers do… infact if anyone cycles on the road I think they are usually a more considerate driver on average.

Nothing wrong with making progress even if in reality you end up roughly in the same place at the same time.. I drive like a saint in a van though but just can’t bring myself to go that slow in a car.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a 320d M Sport and have an average of 50mpg over the last year of commuting to work down country lanes at maximum velocity, doesn’t make any difference if I sit on the bumper of the car in front, shoot round corners or drive like Miss Daisy 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

There’s a particular roundabout near to me that normally has a queue, one to three hundred meters long. It goes – stop – 20 – stop – 10 – stop etc. I get bored with this so allow a short gap in front of me, then cruise along at the average. It seems to work, and I save a bit on fuel, clutch and brakes.

I commend this solution to the house.

legend
    Free Member

passive-agressive gentle slowing down in front of tailgaters ftw! Or floor it and make moar progress than them

faustus

Why is this still in the bike chat thread? 🙂

stumpy01

Given all of this:

lovegoinguphills – Member

I drive a 2010 BMW 635D.

I get 41 mpg

capable of 0-60 in 6 seconds and limited to 155mph

use my brakes sparingly and accelerate moderately

I never break the speed limit

Never in rush to go anywhere as I always give myself more time than needed

I am genuinely curious to know what the point of having such a potentially quick car with a large engine is, over something perhaps a bit less potent?
    Is it just a case of this is the best engine available for the car, or perhaps it is the smallest engine available for that car? I am not particularly familiar with the car/engine ranges from BMW, so perhaps that is it.
    Or do you use it to tow a caravan, so need the torque of a large diesel?

You mention the car being capable of 0-60 in 6 seconds, but then
    say you accelerate moderately? It’s capable of 155mph limited but you never break the speed limit….

I’ve never been in a position to own a car with an engine that powerful, but am not sure why I’d choose one if I wasn’t going to make use of the performance that I have paid for, unless there was no other choice of engine for that model of car & I wanted that particular model of car….

nedrapier

I do not tolerate those that drive up my back end.

What do you do about them?

Yak

passive-agressive gentle slowing down in front of tailgaters ftw!

haha – I do this. I’m on a 40mph road and if tailgated often start my slowing down a long way before my house. Then pull to the middle and reverse in – slowly.

I could just drive straight in.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What do you do about them?

They’re with Jesus now 🙁

somouk
    Free Member

I am genuinely curious to know what the point of having such a potentially quick car with a large engine is, over something perhaps a bit less potent?

I’ve always preferred cars with bigger engines but am generally a very relaxed driver.

I prefer the cruising capability of the bigger engine, the fact it can get you up to speed on slip roads quickly and you never feel as though you need more power when you need it to overtake.

I had a company car 1.6 TDI golf for a couple of years and it was more than capable of keeping pace with daily life but there was always the nagging feeling in my head when I went to overtake that I have no more power to help if something ahead changes.

tinybits
    Free Member

Hmm, ever heard of confirmation bias op?

I strongly suspect that you can see just as many other makes and models being driven in exactly the same way.

oh and

in my rear view I could see nothing for miles ,yet out of nowhere came a black AUDI

implies you’re not keeping that good a look out!

As it happens, I drive a BMW, it’s got more power than average (not a rocket ship, it’s a 125d). What you tend to find in a more powerful car is that everything is so much more relaxed, it’s just easy cruising especially with an auto box. I find the same in my wife’s touareg, it could do 145mph, but bumbles along at 50mph without seeming to bother the engine or make any noise at all.
    The only time the additional power comes in useful in the intended sense is making a safe overtake, there are more opportunities to get around someone doing 35mph when you’ve got a load of excess power than if you’re diving a 1l petrol.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

passive-agressive gentle slowing down in front of tailgaters ftw!

In fact I think the correct course of action is to gently slow down until the gap being left by the car behind is appropriate for the speed…… So yeah, basically.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

In my opinion there are good and bad drivers regardless of the cars they drive and I do not tolerate those that drive up my back end.

Loser! I have a 31 year clean licence and enjoy* my driving.

*Enjoy: I stick to speed limits where necessary and hoon it where I think I can get away with it. I enjoy driving quickly and am seldom in a rush (so no pressure to do stupid things). I see plenty of idiots out there who really shouldn’t have licences. I don’t drive a BMW or Audi (yet). 😈

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They’re with Jesus now

😆

What you tend to find in a more powerful car is that everything is so much more relaxed, it’s just easy cruising…

I have to admit I find this too, although also driving an older camper van is quite a stark contrast. Getting up to the speed limit in the car is far far easier / quieter / smoother – initially took a little adapting when switching between vehicles.

allthepies
    Free Member

33 year clean license here if we’re counting 🙂

philxx1975
    Free Member

implies you’re not keeping that good a look out!

Well not really does it, its a single track road maybe 1-1/2 cars wide so in your rear view it wouldnt matter if you looked now or in 10 minutes time theres nothing coming past.

Hmm, ever heard of confirmation bias op?

I did wonder this too.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

33 year clean license here if we’re counting

Do you enjoy your driving though, or do you bimble sticking t all the speed limits?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

passive-agressive gentle slowing down in front of tailgaters ftw! Or floor it and make moar progress than them

In traffic at a steady fifty, with a sensible gap in front sufficient (just) that one isn’t affected by the ripples of braking heading back down the line: how does that work then? No, they can rush past and tailgate the next car.

If they are tailgating, I don’t want to risk a whiplash injury, thanks, nor have my car written off. Nor have an insurance cost hike. Nor experience the hassle of sorting it all out. But I’ll help make sure they are awake and alert, to reduce the risk of all those.

philjunior
    Free Member

Round town, during the day, and most of the rest of the time, you’re absolutely right. All you manage by foot to the floor driving is to get to the next queue faster, and use more fuel.

I would challenge the fact that it makes no difference whatever to timings though. I have been up north to just past Inverness a few times (in-laws live up there) and the average speed cameras on the A9 would add about 45 minutes to the journey time, compared to what I reckon you could achieve if you disregarded the speed limits but didn’t overly risk life and limb (i.e. drive sensibly around junctions etc.). It does use more fuel to go faster, but then cycling uses no fuel and gets you there eventually. (On the other hand, there’s been no fatalities since they introduced the average speed cameras, as overtaking on the single carriageway sections is rarely worth it)

welshfarmer

Well not really does it, its a single track road maybe 1-1/2 cars wide so in your rear view it wouldnt matter if you looked now or in 10 minutes time theres nothing coming past.

except the Highway code is quite clear on the fact that on narrow roads, slower traffic should make every attempt to let faster traffic pass at the earliest oportunity. If you aren’t looking behind you, how can you know if you are holding up a faster vehicle?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I drive assertively in BMW 3 litre 5 series.

0-60 in 6 1/2 seconds and 38mpg on my screen but I drive as polite and safe as possibly.

I don’t see cars, I see some good and some not so good drivers.

Cycling is the same.

Yesterday riding I was cut up, the other day a driver gave me plenty of room so don’t get stressed.

I would like a Porche but can’t afford one.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I drive assertively in BMW 3 litre 5 series.

We need to get that on a STW T-Shirt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘MPG real figures part two BMW and AUDI RAGE CONTENT!!!!’ is closed to new replies.