Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • mp3 Players with USB plugin harddrive/stick???
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok so my stereo in the house has a USB port and my car stereo has one in now as well what I’m wondering is there a mp3 player out there that I can use it in as well then I can just my tunes from one player to another on the USB stick?
    Has to go in my bike jacket pocket as well 😀

cheers for any info 🙂

xcstu
    Free Member

Using a Sony Walkman mp3 player at the moment for my car and works a treat! 4gb of music space and works with my controls on the steering wheel 🙂 simply pull the cap off one end to reveal the USB connection!

Like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0070JT7I0/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1363469571&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

badllama
    Free Member

Hi xcstu thanks for reply but I’m after a player that will allow USB stick to be pluged into it my current 16 gig stck has 12 gig of tunes on I want to play while on holiday and on the bike.

CountZero

I don’t think there’s any such thing. There are players that take an SD card, but I’ve never seen or heard of anything that you can plug a USB stick into, because it would be too vulnerable to damage with the stick sticking out of it.
    Your only option is a player like an iPod Touch, or a Sony Walkman, or maybe a Rio, all of which plug straight into a USB port on Car units, or any other music system with a USB input.

nickjb
    Free Member

Seems a bit if backwards way to go about things. Just buy any old mp3 player and copy your music onto it. Buy a couple of usb sticks, leave one at home an one in the car. Why does it need to be the same physical copy?

Cougar

As CZ says; if you get an mp3 player which can be mounted as a removable storage device, which is most of them, you can remove the requirement for a “USB drive” completely because that’s in essence what the mp3 player is.

What you’re asking for won’t exist, at least theoretically. USB uses a client / host type of architecture. Eg, if you plug a USB drive into a PC, the PC is the ‘host’ and controls the ‘client’ USB stick.

USB sticks and mp3 players are both client devices, so if you were to hypothetically connect them together there’d be nothing to initiate the connection. They’d essentially sit there forever listening for the other end to start talking, like a phone call where no-one says “hello?”

There’s a workaround of sorts for this. You can connect two clients with a “USB On The Go” cable, which gets around the problem. So your question then becomes, “do any mp3 players support USB OTG?” The answer to that is a big old “I’ve no idea.” It’s supported on some devices – my Nexus 7 tablet will do it, for instance, but it needs root to work to its full potential. There may be other phone handsets which to it also.

But all that is academic, because as per the first paragraph it shouldn’t be necessary.

badllama
    Free Member

cheers for the info people 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘mp3 Players with USB plugin harddrive/stick???’ is closed to new replies.