• This topic has 126 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • MP Sir David Amess – RIP –
  • duckman

Terrible thing to happen and one that I fear will end local surgeries, with a massive knock-on for local communities. Poor man.

jekkyl

The daily mail reporting it was ‘a man of Somali origin’ – further erosion of our rights in the name of security being ushered in in 3 2 1…..

outofbreath
    Free Member

Or maybe a sign that it’s possible to disagree with much of what someone believes, but still have the humanity and empathy to treat them with respect.

Yes, mainly this.

outofbreath
    Free Member

sweat the small stuff unseen, unpromoted and unreported,

ctk
    Free Member

Terrible news, the murder and that it is terrorism.

I understand that there has to be a bit of a love in when someone dies but nevertheless I feel the same as when Jo Cox was killed- “Why don’t we hear more about these good MPs?” The cream really doesn’t rise to the top in politics.

Also the Chris Williamson tweet just makes me think we need a new political system. Good ideas and good people are being stopped by our FPTP system.

The daily mail reporting it was ‘a man of Somali origin’ – further erosion of our rights in the name of security being ushered in in 3 2 1…..

What rights are you expecting to have eroded in the name of security?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I must confess that was my first thought the controversial Anti Terrorism Act was a couple of decades ago can’t really think of anything major since.

In contrast we were all literally under house arrest 18 months ago.

If governments are looking for an excuse to restrict freedom it won’t be terrorism.

Sandwich

What little remains to us. With each one of these attacks we lurch ever more towards tyranny. This more than anything is why our good constituency MP’s are now fair game for the nutters.

stumpyjon

Sandwich are you a fully paid up member og tne GoP? The only thing i would expect to change is MPs might get a police presence if they want it whilst carrying out their important constituency duties. If we can provide police for football matches and demonstrations I think we should be able to spare a few to protect our democratic representatives,

dazh

Or maybe a sign that it’s possible to disagree with much of what someone believes, but still have the humanity and empathy to treat them with respect.

+1

Over the past day I’ve seen politicians, journalists and media commentators (among others) on twitter and on the news united in their reaction to this. And yet I can’t help raising an eyebrow at the fact that before this they were all at each others throats like pit-bulls in a dog-fight. They (and I mean all of them, not just one side) lie, they obfuscate, twist logic and the truth to justify what are often unjustifiable positions, and smear their opponents to gain political advantage, and this behaviour is barely challenged or questioned by the media or anyone else.

So my question is are they going to go straight back to doing that once this has dropped out of the news? Or are they going to use this as an opportunity to sort themselves out? Or are all the messages and statements of unity and respect today just empty words to be forgotten tomorrow?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Over the past day I’ve seen politicians, journalists and media commentators (among others) on twitter and on the news united in their reaction to this. And yet I can’t help raising an eyebrow at the fact that before this they were all at each others throats like pit-bulls in a dog-fight. They (and I mean all of them, not just one side) lie, they obfuscate, twist logic and the truth to justify what are often unjustifiable positions, and smear their opponents to gain political advantage, and this behaviour is barely challenged or questioned by the media or anyone else.

I’d agree but we are even worse on STW, Twitter etc. And we happily consume it all from the Media/Politicians.

We all need to clean our act up.

Apart from anything else, in Political discourse, politeness and understanding are more likely to win people round.

MoreCashThanDash

I doubt much will change on the back of this attack, but a read of Fake Law by the Secret Barrister may open your eyes. Our legal rights and protections have been steadily eroded over the last 20-30 years as a result of knee jerk reactions to one off incidents. Want to go bankrupt to defend yourself against a crime you didn’t commit? Not that unusual in the UK now.

dazh

I’d agree but we are even worse on STW

True but STW is just a bit of meaningless fun with no impact on anything, unlike politicians and the mainstream media. There’s a massively higher burden on politicians to sort themselves out than a bunch of idiots on an internet forum.

frankconway

Dazh – regrettably, this murder won’t bring about any lasting change to the nature and reporting of political discourse.
    There will be a short-lived toning down of the rhetoric, insults and lies.
    Any aspiration of returning to…a kinder, more gentle politics will remain exactly that – an aspiration.
    My thoughts and wishes are with his family and friends.

ctk
    Free Member

I’d agree but we are even worse on STW

No we are **** not you ****

😂

dudeofdoom

3 x attempted / actual murders of MPs in 11 years. What a senseless waste.

How will we ever get good, experienced, level-headed people to represent us when these are the risks they face?

TBH I now only get the London news and I reckon they get at least a few fatal stabbings a week.

I do think they should get Protection if wanted but no-one should be getting stabbed regardless of whether your a public servant or not.

dazh

regrettably, this murder won’t bring about any lasting change to the nature and reporting of political discourse.

Agree. Which only reinforces my general disdain for politicians and their media hangers-on. I won’t be the only one, and someone will take it to extremes and we’ll end up back here, mourning someone else and offering more empty words and platitudes as if we didn’t learn a thing. And some still think we don’t have a crisis in our democracy and politics?

jekkyl

LBC still not talking about anything else and all the surrounding issues.
    As for security.. for surgeries hire a security guard, all people searched for weapons before entering and the guard stays with the MP during the meeting. Put the costs through MPs expenses, it’s not hard to figure out.
    Really surprised weapon searches don’t already take place.

outofbreath
    Free Member

As for security.. for surgeries hire a security guard, all people searched for weapons before entering and the guard stays with the MP during the meeting. Put the costs through MPs expenses, it’s not hard to figure out.

…and people have got to stop describing this kind of thing as victim blaming.

Sandwich

GOP? You have chosen poorly!

As for security.. for surgeries hire a security guard,

Hired centrally or someone’s overpaid relative will end up dead if office staff at Westminster are any guide to hiring practices.

shermer75
    Free Member

This makes me so sad. I actually don’t care what party you represent, it was always reassuring to live in a country where our political figures weren’t assassinated- I can’t believe that this is the society we now live in. Total shite.

Richie_B

That someone was attacked let alone died is terrible but the politicians and press who have descended into a populist & simplistic level of politics with ‘simple’ answers/people to blame need to take a look at themselves and a portion of the blame.

Sadly I can’t see it changing because it’s effective but it’s taking us into worse and worse territory.

Sandwich

The comments from Ms Patel left me feeling un-well given her approach to refugees and asylum seekers earlier in the week. She has obviously not made the connection between her hardline, empathy-free approach to politics with the radicalisation of those with little or no hope.

Some reflection by her party and working for the electorate not the oligarchs would go a long way to making it right.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

“She has obviously not made the connection between her hardline, empathy-free approach to politics with the radicalisation of those with little or no hope.“

If it’s as reported; the attacker being an Islamist, the conclusion above is absolutely hatstand. People have been randomly murdered / tortured / beheaded by Islamists in over 80 countries. The radicalisation isn’t as a result of society, it happens despite it.**

** having seen some of the community “views” first hand I think a lot of people would be pretty horrified at what’s taking place even in Britain – and it goes down to the ages of 5/6 year olds.

kerley
    Free Member

People have been randomly murdered / tortured / beheaded by Islamists in over 80 countries. The radicalisation isn’t as a result of society, it happens despite it.**

Yet many more people are killed by people who are not islamists. Are those not a result of society?

avdave2

As for security.. for surgeries hire a security guard,

A lot of what people want to discuss with their MP may well be confidential or very personal, I think that is why they have generally always met me without others in the room.

dudeofdoom

This makes me so sad. I actually don’t care what party you represent, it was always reassuring to live in a country where our political figures weren’t assassinated- I can’t believe that this is the society we now live in. Total shite.

Hmm you seem to be forgetting the Brighton Bombing of the Tory conference and then the mortaring of no 10.
    (It’s not like it wasn’t being attempted in other times)

Like I say watch the London news and see exactly how many people are stabbed to death, you’ll be surprised (in an unpleasant way).

jekkyl

It’s being reported that the killer was a 25 yr old man named Ali Harbi Ali. You can imagine the blatant racism in the comments on fb.

Sandwich

** having seen some of the community “views” first hand I think a lot of people would be pretty horrified at what’s taking place even in Britain – and it goes down to the ages of 5/6 year olds.

Thus proving that the current simplistic, use the computer to thwart the wrong ‘uns approach is not correct. To head the nutters off we need to pay for boots on the ground disrupting the operations and providing an alternate source of education/facts.

MoreCashThanDash

To head the nutters off we need to pay for boots on the ground disrupting the operations and providing an alternate source of education/facts.

A big upfront investment in family support and early family intervention, plus education and role models, would save a fortune in 10-20 years time in terms of crime, terrorism, justice, prisons, probation, social services, benefits costs.

Just needs politicians with the vision to put the country first, not their own careers.

DrJ

Over the past day I’ve seen politicians, journalists and media commentators (among others) on twitter and on the news united in their reaction to this.

Apart from the Mail, of course, who have just used it as an excuse to criticise Angela Rayner, and make her a target for the next nutjob.

kerley
    Free Member

Just needs politicians with the vision to put the country first, not their own careers.

How’s that going

davros

According to the stats, terrorist incidents, deaths and injuries in the UK have been relatively low over the past four years, so hopefully that’s a continuing trend. Obviously the police foil a scary number of incidents but they can’t all be prevented.

I agree that security for mp surgeries seems like an obvious solution to this particular type of attack. But presumably a committed terrorist would just choose to murder another easier target, as we’ve sadly seen so many times in the recent past.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a sad fact that the price you pay for living in a relatively free democracy is that at some point terrorists will succeed.

It’s a tragedy at the individual level, but if the alternative is a real Police surveillance state, it’s a risk we – politicians or members of the public – have to be prepared to take?

outofbreath
    Free Member

It’s a tragedy at the individual level, but if the alternative is a real Police surveillance state, it’s a risk we – politicians or members of the public – have to be prepared to take?

That’s my view and seems to be the attitude of MPs – they mostly carried on as normal Friday and this weekend. Changing their behaviour WRT constituents would hand a victory to this prick.

andrewreay

How’s that going

That’s a bit harsh.

We’ve just lost a politician who didn’t climb the greasy pole and spent his long career putting his constituents first, not his own interests.

Too easy to consider all politicians as selfish. Many go into the role to serve society, and do so selflessly for many years without recognition, whatever their party politics.

DrJ

Consider the context. The post to which Kerley responded was:

“A big upfront investment in family support and early family intervention, plus education and role models, would save a fortune in 10-20 years time in terms of crime, terrorism, justice, prisons, probation, social services, benefits costs.”

Which of those projects did Amess support?

andrewreay

Which of those projects did Amess support?

Nearly 10 years on the Health and Social Care Committee?

Or, for example, take your pick from some of these:

David Amess written questionshttps://members.parliament.uk/member/44/writtenquestions

What did I miss?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Nearly 10 years on the Health and Social Care Committee?

Or, for example, take your pick from some of these:

David Amess written questionshttps://members.parliament.uk/member/44/writtenquestions

Thanks for pointing this out.

greyspoke
    Free Member

That’s my view and seems to be the attitude of MPs – they mostly carried on as normal Friday and this weekend. Changing their behaviour WRT constituents would hand a victory to this prick.

We don’t yet know if this was the start of a terrorist campaign (and let us all hope it wasn’t). Sporadic individual terrorist acts are unlikely to change behaviour, a concerted and prolonged campaign might.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘MP Sir David Amess – RIP –’ is closed to new replies.