• This topic has 126 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • MP Sir David Amess – RIP –
  • mefty
    Free Member

Sir David Amess, reknowned for winning Basildon in 1992, has been stabbed while holding a constituency surgery.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I got a really good feeling about him when I heard him on a podcast earlier this year:

Hope he recovers.

hatter

Politically he’s pretty much everything I oppose in the modern Conservative party but he deserves to be voted out, not stabbed, and I hope he pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Violence is never the answer.

MoreCashThanDash

Confirmed it’s him? BBC just saying a stabbing at a meeting he was at.

monkeyboyjc

My thoughts echo hatter’s really.

MoreCashThanDash

Hope he pulls through. We might joke about it sometimes but violence is not the answer.

Be interesting what the motive was – presumably not right wing like Jo Cox’s murder.

martinhutch

Air ambulance at scene, apparently. Awful stuff, let’s hope he’s going to be OK – our MPs need to be able to meet the people they represent in safety, it’s pretty much the only way they get to hear what’s going on in the real world.

monkeyboyjc

Be interesting what the motive was – presumably not right wing like Jo Cox’s murder.

This will be extremely interesting, socially and politically.

dazh

We might joke about it sometimes but violence is not the answer.

Whilst we don’t know the motives yet, this sort of thing is the inevitable result of the breakdown of democracy. When all other methods fail, what else is left?

mefty
    Free Member

BBC just saying a stabbing at a meeting he was at.

BBC is always really slow on breaking news.

hatter

Be interesting what the motive was

Whilst I agree that in the days to come this will be a fully valid topic of discussion, can we please refrain from any unfounded speculation until more information comes to light?

I also agree with MartinHutch, constituency surgeries are an oft-overlooked and deeply unglamourous part of our democracy and anything that makes them less accessible or harder to attend would further distance our elected representatives from the people they are supposed to serve, that’s never a good thing.

martinhutch

Far more reluctant to take a punt on unconfirmed reports on major stories, having been burned a few times in the past.

ayjaydoubleyou

this sort of thing is the inevitable result of the breakdown of democracy. When all other methods fail, what else is left?

He’s been elected a number of times in general elections, in multiple constituencies, for about 4 decades. In what way is that a failure of democracy?

Drac

Terrible news.

When all other methods fail, what else is left?

It’s never to stab someone.

footflaps

Whilst we don’t know the motives yet, this sort of thing is the inevitable result of the breakdown of democracy.

More likely a breakdown in mental health care, caused by chronic under funding for decades.

MoreCashThanDash

BBC insist on 2 sources iirc, after being bitten in the past

MoreCashThanDash

Whilst we don’t know the motives yet, this sort of thing is the inevitable result of the breakdown of democracy. When all other methods fail, what else is left?

Our resident Disaster Anarchist has arrived 😀

I wasn’t wanting to provoke speculation with my comment, just thinking aloud. Always a mistake when I’m near a keyboard

dazh

In what way is that a failure of democracy?

I didn’t say it was. I don’t agree with attacking MPs, but in the current environment of unaccountable power and ever increasing inequality and distance between politicians and the people, I think this sort of thing will become more frequent.

It’s never to stab someone.

Totally agree. But many others won’t.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Whilst we don’t know the motives yet, this sort of thing is the inevitable result of the breakdown of democracy people using their vote to select politicians I disagree with. When all other methods fail, what else is left?

Fixed that for you.

dazh

He has some intersting views and opinions now that I’ve looked them up. Very anti-hunting, which is to be wholly admired. Fingers crossed he’s ok.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

but in the current environment of unaccountable power and ever increasing inequality and distance between politicians and the people, I think this sort of thing will become more frequent.

Good job democracy isn’t breaking down, I understand people get the opportunity to vote for someone else fairly regularly

The attack on Jo Cox was nothing to do with a breakdown of democracy either, commentaries like yours seek to be self locking lollipops just like the recent petrol crisis, two remote stations go dry and a industry briefing, next thing you know aunt Mabel is fighting on the forecourt as she needs to top up to ensure she can drive to the park to walk her dog

nickc

Bloody hell, hope he pulls through, and they catch the person that did it. What a terrible thing to have happened to someone just doing their job.

footflaps

Good job democracy isn’t breaking down, I understand people get the opportunity to vote for someone else fairly regularly

+1

Yep, people wanted a Tory government, voted for it and got one.

Can’t say I’m very happy about it, but that’s democracy.

Harry_the_Spider

Not good. Hope he pulls through. Hope there are no reprisals.

mefty
    Free Member

BBC insist on 2 sources iirc, after being bitten in the past

Sky had two sources – BBC just aren’t as good as their competitors on breaking news.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

In the podcast linked above he actually describes having a relative stabbed 52 times in a car park and the effect that had on his views. 41 minutes in. What a terrible irony.

It’s a great podcast by the way – seems like a very down to earth person.

outofbreath
    Free Member

In the podcast linked above he actually describes having a relative stabbed 52 times in a car park and the effect that had on his views. 41 minutes in. What a terrible irony.

Just got to that bit. He also talks about how his predecessor didn’t do surgeries.

It’s a great podcast by the way – seems like a very down to earth person.

Yeah, good to hear Politicians being given a bit of a chance to express themselves. Nick Robinson does something similar in his podcast.

I’m pretty sure these unchallenging interviews get more out of them. They talk freely whereas on Today or against Paxman/Neal they just clam up and stay on message.

tjagain

Yep, people wanted a Tory government, voted for it and got one.

Can’t say I’m very happy about it, but that’s democracy.

Actually the tories got a minority of the vote but got a huge majority of seats. thats not democratic. the UK system is a faux democracy given an appointed house and the not fit for purpose FPTP system and also given the gerrymandering and ownership of the media by the tories

Drac

Can we keep it on topic please given the reason for the story. Thanks.

nickc

Police have confirmed a man’s died.

mefty
    Free Member

Police have confirmed a man’s died.

Tragic.

IHN

Indeed, so very much then, please,

Can we keep it on topic please given the reason for the story. Thanks.

davros

RIP.

Awful news.

outofbreath
    Free Member

RIP

That’s two MPs in a shade over 5 years. Roughly a 1 in 300 chance of being murdered in a five year period.

Both times around surgeries, which I think we can all agree are good/essential. Not sure a zoom meeting would be an adequate substitute.

Bad.

stumpy01

Just seen the update on the BBC website.

What the Conservatives are doing to this country under the stewardship of Johnson & his bungling mob is awful, but no one deserves that.

Sad news.

slackboy

RIP.

Awful news.

This. Its tragic that a person has been killed while doing his job as a public servant.

Regardless of your political views, MP’s play a vital role in addressing issues of importance to their local community and anything limits peoples ability to get access to their MP is a  bad thing.

Condolences to his family.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

3 x attempted / actual murders of MPs in 11 years. What a senseless waste.

How will we ever get good, experienced, level-headed people to represent us when these are the risks they face?

Drac

Poor guy all for doing his job. Tragic. RIP

freeagent
    Free Member

Its tragic that a person has been killed while doing his job as a public servant.

Regardless of your political views, MP’s play a vital role in addressing issues of importance to their local community and anything limits peoples ability to get access to their MP is a bad thing.

Condolences to his family

+1
    Just awful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘MP Sir David Amess – RIP –’ is closed to new replies.