Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Moving to York – Any Locals Able to Provide Guidance on Where (not) to Live?
  • wombat

Family Wombat is looking to move to York.

Are there locals on here who could provide some guidance on areas we should definitely avoid/recommend good areas to live?

Are Tang Hall and bits of Acomb still a bit questionable?

Any pointers very gratefully received.

lapierrelady

Lucky you guys! Great place to live. Tang Hall and that side of the city are still quite ‘studenty’. Some bits of Acomb are ok (but Holgate is nicer). Will you be renting or buying?

wombat

We’re buying.

Will have a look at Holgate, not sure how much it will be affected by the York masterplan for that bit of the city though.

Murray

Beware flooding – for instance even up by the race track some roads flooded badly during the 2015 2015 floods

Murray

But enough of the doom and gloom, it’s an amazing place.

lapierrelady

I think the York master plan is still far enough off that it hasn’t affected house prices yet…ours was valued last year and has stayed about the same. They have widened the bridge over the river between town and the stat9n though which is about time

wombat

The York flood map above helpfully colours all the areas we’ve looked at in yellow….which is nice 😀

igm

York is superb. Particularly for cycling, particularly with children, particularly for pubs and increasingly for food.
    We’re in Copmanthorpe.

strangey13
    Free Member

Depends what sort of things your looking for. We’re North side as o/h works at the hospital so is good for her and getting into town, is a pain getting round the ring road to go south or west when busy though. Tang Hall and Acomb still get a bad press but a lot of that is snobbery.

wombat

Strangey13 – We’re looking North side too, need easy access to the North East for work.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do you have to be actually IN York?
    Easingwold’s nice enough & on the A19 although Iv’e no idea about house prices (Wer’e in Boroughbridge) I’d certainly avoid anywhere near York that involves using that sodding ring road at any time!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

York’s great, I love it – but the traffic can be horrendous. Lots of cycling provision though.

Have a look at Rawcliffe / Clifton. And there’s a great bike route into the centre from Rawcliffe Bar.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member
    GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

+1 @esselgruntfuttock

It might worth looking a bit more North – Skelton, Shipton, Easingwold, etc if that suits.

Chris Rea needs to sing a song about the bloody ring road 🙂

strangey13
    Free Member

Haxby/Wiggington and Strensall have easy access for town and Monks Cross/Clifton Moor for shopping. It’s not bad to get to the A64 and A19 either. It’s easy to get some decent road miles in heading north with a couple of decent climbs, Bulmer and Terrington bank, and there’s Yearsley, Sutton Bank and Dalby for mtb. Our kids are still quite young so we get quite a lot of mileage out of having York cards and year passes for the museums in the centre for days out. Is about 45 minutes to an hour to get to the coast too.

wombat

Thanks all.
    We’re only moving from Northallerton so I already know the NY Moors pretty well for riding, perhaps a future STW ride out is in order….
    We’re looking to be within a couple of miles (walking distance) of the station/city centre for east access to transport/theatre/gigs/pubs/restaurants so nothing outside the ringroad for us.
    I can get to pretty much wherever I need to be mostly by train (with the assistance of an as yet un-purchased folding bike).

strangey13
    Free Member

We used to be in Huntington, need stadium might make it a bit busier but good for town. Never had any problems with flooding other than gardens being boggy in winter and the odd home insurance provider not covering the area.

johndoh
    Free Member

That bastard ring road isn’t the road to hell, it’s the road forged directly from the bones of the souls cast into hell.

There’s a free train museum though so it’s not all doom and gloom.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Grew up in Huby, about 5 miles from Easingwold.
    Great village.
    Good shop, regular bus into York, and a decent pub.
    I’d be looking towards any of the villages nearby, Sutton, Stillimgton, and as already said, Easingwold.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

That bastard ring road isn’t the road to hell, it’s the road forged directly from the bones of the souls cast into hell.

🙂

Mat

Troutwrestler – I only clicked on this thread to make sure somebody had posted that…

mrjmt
    Free Member

We were in Fulford, lived in and around york for the last 35 (blimey) years.

Yes, some parts of Tang Hall are still less desirable, as are parts of Acomb and Clifton. I can highly recommend fulford, good prices, just over the millenium bridge from ‘Bishy Road’ (middle class heaven if you like that kind of thing), no real rough parts, nice walk up the river in the town. BUT its not easy to get over to the north from the south unless you cycle.

Decide if you want to be in a village or the city, maybe post a bit more about what’s important.

Villages to the west get more expensive as they’re commuting distance to Leeds as well as York. The east is generally a bit cheaper but the A1079 can be bad for traffic. A166 is generally better. Haxby/Wiggington/Strensal are all nice places and cycling commute distance.

If you’re in the city it’s a fair way to any hills even for road cycling, the closest is probably Terrington bank and the Hambleton hills to the north.

As above, traffic is really really bad, particularly on the ring road on the north side of the city (clifton moor area) at usual commuting times. There’s plenty of park and rides, but they don’t all have bus lane routes into the city. Cycling is the best way to get in.

wombat

We’re looking to be within a couple of miles (walking distance) of the station/city centre for easy access to transport/theatre/gigs/pubs/restaurants so nothing outside the ringroad really.
    Also really want to be on the Northern half of the City as I need to be able to get to Teesside/Tyneside by car relatively easily (accepting the limitations of the ring road).

I can get to pretty much wherever I need to be for work mostly by train (with the assistance of an as yet un-purchased folding bike).

stevew
    Free Member

We live in Holgate, love it, we can walk into the centre in 20 minutes and cycle everywhere.

If a quick walk to the centre is needed it will likely rule out many of the north of the city areas you have already mentioned, agree that Fulford is a good call, to the east and north east of there does get a bit studenty.

Go draw a circle on a map at 2/3/4 miles radius (dependant on your walking tolerance) and visit the key locations in there. There are no really horrible areas in York but you need to look at it street by street to see how it feels for you. I prefer west of the river personally.

The flood map above is misleading as it shows the risk without defences, there are a network of defences and more than £60m is currently being spent on them, happy to advise if there are any areas of concern.

stevew
    Free Member

Sorry, just seen your message. If you are driving to the north check out the areas off Boroughbridge Road/Wetherby Road/Carr Lane/Poppleton.

wombat

Thanks Stevew.
    Am looking at a couple of properties in Holgate this weekend. Will drop you a PM this evening if that’s OK.
    Cheers

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

WE had similar needs when we moved here a few years ago. I can recommend living quite centrally, on the North side of town i.e. look from Bootham Bar and Monkbar and north. Houses in the Groves, off Haxby Road, and Wigginton Road often have larger gardens than the other side of town. Its 10min walk to the Minster, Art Gallery, Theatre, and a bunch of good pubs/restaurants.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Moving to York – Any Locals Able to Provide Guidance on Where (not) to Live?’ is closed to new replies.