Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Moving to SPD Pedals
  • joebickley
    Free Member

Hi all,

Im being convinced by several people who tell me changing from flats to SPDs will really help me out when riding, given that 99% of the riders at the Whinlatter race on sunday were using them they cant all be wrong!

So should i got for flat and SPD combos like these…

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-pedals/shimano-bike-pedals/shimano-m545-spd-pedals.html

Or full fat SPDs like these…

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-bike-pedals/shimano-bike-pedals/shimano-xt-770-pedals.html

I'd appreciate any tips or alternatives? I ride XC only and intend to do as much Endurance as poss this year.

The main thing thats held me back previously is cost (on something id be "trying" out) and that i ride to work on the same bike i ride XC on. However having realised i almost always carry my work shoes in my bag and ride in trainers im already taking "special" shoes, and for the cost i should stop being so tight 🙂

Cheers

Joe

sc-xc

I would go for the non platform ones. They only take 1 ride to get used to, and I much prefer them to flats.

I use eggbeaters though, which is a different argument for a different day 8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do it. You'll not regret it.

Either will be fine. The only consideration is the extra weight of the combo ones. Those XT pedals are real fit and forget though…a quick wash and spray with lube/gt 85 etc and they just keep working.

EDIT: Pick a big grassy field with noone to see you to get used to them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Full proper SPDs you will not regret it on day two. Day one you will hurt yourself.

SnS
    Free Member

Back them right off before you're first outing – it will help your confidence in knowing you can get out really fast.
    Subsiquent rides, tighten them until it feels right.

As for cleats, I'd try the duel sided ones for the same reason.

I use the cheap n' chearful 520's….still ! – Another fit & forget item that works great.

Chris

jedi

use what you want (unless its high north shore)
    life's about choice

joebickley
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – think i will plug for the XT ones then.

Keep an eye out for the classifieds in a couple of weeks for a hardly used set of pedals and shoes in case i fall off a lot! 🙂

Jx

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I got some bog standard Shimano ones some 15 years ago and they haven't let me down once – easily the longest-standing bit of kit I own.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I got some bog standard Shimano ones some 15 years ago and they haven't let me down once – easily the longest-standing bit of kit I own.

had a pair that went on for years and years too. Never let me down no matter how shitty the ride. XTR ones are lovely though…pure indulgence, but hey…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I do have a new set I treated myself to (well, I was given them). But the old ones have spent 5 years on my Enduro S-Works and have bonded to the crank arms 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Don't necessarily go for SPDs – Eggbeaters are worth a look (though I didn't get on with them) as are Time ATACs (which I've got on all 3 of my bikes, & which I think are the DBs).

You will fall over at least once while clipped in. Then, once you think you've got it cracked, the Spudfall demon will creep up on you (did it last week for the first time in >1 year). Otherwise, they're great.

Andy

john_drummer
    Free Member

I like em too. £25-£30 for a pair of basic Shimano SPD pedals. And maybe another £50 (at the very least) for proper cycle shoes unless you get lucky with the Aldi sales. Not bad shoes, if you don't mind vented & no laces, for less than half the price of Shimano ones

but yeah, find somewhere soft & wide to practice on, you WILL fall over sideways. Do NOT try your first ride on SPDs in traffic, as you WILL fall under a bus

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CB Candys about £20 on Chain Reaction right now lovely little pedals easy in and lots of float, releasing always at the same point

markyboy
    Free Member

DONT DO IT !! 😆

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Do it. MTFU!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lidl have spd shoes at teh moment – went in on monday but my local store had some – £19 which makes trying them cheap – look for a basic set of spds on the classifieds – someone is often selling them – then you can try it out for much cheapness

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Moving to SPD Pedals’ is closed to new replies.