Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Moving to Shropshire…. Recommend me a town, village, hamelet…
  • bloodynora
    Free Member

Looking at moving to the county of Shropshire. Any natives about 🙂

project
    Free Member

Bishops Castle, is nice,

donsimon
    Free Member

Which bit?
    I lived in Ellesmere for a couple of years, that was nice.
    Bits of Wem look ok, and ex’s parents live on the edge.
    Shrewsbury would be a cool place to be, I think.
    What are you looking for?
    Picturesque?
    Schools?

More info, por favor?
    EDIT: Ironbridge nice.
    Telford- Not.

jonesyboy

Shrewsbury is my hometown, plenty of good riding about, plenty of money about, but a quiet market town.
    Most of shrops is typical quiet rural uk. Telford is more akin to wolverhampton.

project
    Free Member

ellesmere now has a huge tesco, thats killing the town,

Wem is ok, bit quiet,

Shrewsbury great place and a new bike shop just relocated down by the abbey,

Telford is now a seperate county , and no longer part of Shropshire, its a dump.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I lived near to Shrewsbuty for a couple of years. Lovely part of the world.

chvck
    Free Member

Does depend what you’re looking for and if you need access to decent public transport!

donsimon
    Free Member

ellesmere now has a huge tesco, thats killing the town,

At least it’s better than the empty creamery. 😥
    I disagree in it killing the town, there wasn’t that much to kill in the first place and it probably brings people into Ellesmere who’d probably have gone to Oswestry, Shrewsbury or St. Martins fo0r a supermarket shop.

uphilla
    Free Member

Ludlow is a great place, but expensive now. Heading west from there places get cheaper, but also more remote. Great County and plenty of top class trails.

Elmo
    Free Member

Stans!

Shropshire born and bred. Right now nestling just infront of the Wrekin.
    Its a big and very varied county, where are you going to be working? have you got family here?
    It can be a bugger to commute across and has the best and worst of everything!
    Do you have a budget?
    I could give you loads of amazing places!……………and a few shitholes to avoid!

I reckon Wrockwardine is pretty good!

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Great place to live but where you start looking depends on your budget. I live in Shropshire and where we are 3 bed semis fetch 180k upwards. I could move to Telford and buy a 4 bed detached but it is all about location.
    Still I have a stunning view of the Wrekin and open fields.

Elmo where are you based?

donsimon
    Free Member

Stans!

You’re deffo local. 😆

slowmart
    Free Member

I live near Telford, Cannock is 30 minutes, the Wrekin is 10 minutes and Llandegla is under the hour. Eastridge is 30 minutes. Long mynd, stiper stones etc. get the picture!!

The Berwyns are pretty much of the radar of most mtb’s which lie just west of Oswestry and offer epic and unpopulated riding. Just don’t tell anyone.

If your into motorbikes we have some absolutely awesome bikers roads which aren’t heavily policed.

Housing is relatively less than the national average as are the salaries. I’m not a native but I love the county.

Elmo
    Free Member

Wolvesdug where are you?!

I live in wrockwardine.

donsimon
    Free Member

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Eaton Constantine

Elmo
    Free Member

Thats a very pretty place, right under the Wrekin!
    And so close to me!

Half the Wyre Forest is in Shropshire, even though everyone thinks of it as Worcestershire.
    Clee Hill and Cleobury Mortimer area is nice and rural without being too remote.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Elmo yep we are near enough neighbours.

Houns

My Nan lives in Admaston, nice, the right side of Wellington

donsimon
    Free Member

Wem is ok, bit quiet,

I’d actually question you on this too as I was in Wem for the summer riot of ’84 or ’85, not 100% on the year….

slowmart
    Free Member

I thought Wem stood for Wet, Empty & Miserable…

Elmo
    Free Member

Too close to the Whixall bog sprockets for my liking.

Elmo
    Free Member

Wolves dug, we need to talk!

As long as your not megafit and really good on
    a bike!

mrhoppy

Shrewsbury, and I’ve got a lovely 2 bed terrace with a garage in Cherry Orchard you could buy.

Scamper
    Free Member

Shropshire is a big, big County physically and to some extent still undiscovered to the masses, thankfully. I’d avoid living in the north of the County (where I was brought up). Shrewsbury is a lovely County town and plenty of villages in the south of the County have their charm ie Cardington. Apparently the area between Shrewsbury Bridgenorth and Ludlow is the place to be with house prices to match. As said plenty of riding possibilities, and clubs.

Garry_Lager

Telford worth a gander IMO (an opinion probably not shared by many). It’s basically 10 villages that someone drew a line round in the 60s, stuck a Debenhams in the middle and called it a town. So there is massive variation across it. Some real legitmate shit hole estates, but also some very nice parts by the Severn.
    The town centre is really poor though tbf, so you wouldn’t be getting any advantages of urbanism beyond really basic stuff like there’s a petrol station and 3 supermarkets to choose from. It would be more a matter of comparing some of the villages mentioned already with the village-style life of Ironbridge, Coalbrookdale or Coalport (parts of Telford by the river).

scruff
    Free Member

My grandparents lived in Gobowen, we used to go to Stans for a day out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well, you would, wouldn’t you? From Gobowen like… 😆
    Also watch out in the south of the county, full of snobs.

Speshpaul

Nothing in shropshire, just don’t bother, nothing to see here move along now….

Scamper
    Free Member

Delightful area Mr Hoppy – almost bought a house there, but pulled out last minute. You can probebly guess why. 😕

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Lived in Wellington for a while, as the wife worked in Telford and I worked in Shrewsbury.

If I had to move back tomorrow, I’d go to back to Shrewsbury without complaint.

As others have said, there is a lot of variation, and quite a few places to avoid. Telford is best avoiding.

molgrips
    Free Member

My fave part of Shropshire is the bit nearest Wales. Places like Clun or Newcastle etc. Ludlow is nice, went to college there – the riding is not as good as it used to be since they tried to encourage all the bikers to hang out in Bringewood instead of Mortimer Forest, but it’s still a great MTB spot on your doorstep.

MrOvershoot

Ha my Mother lives in Gobowen.

I go to Stans if I’m there for fuel 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Shropshire…. Recommend me a town, village, hamelet…’ is closed to new replies.