Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Moving to Mac from Windows, will I cope? iMac or All-in-one PC?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Hi, it is time to update and was considering and all in one PC to save space. (not keen on laptops), looking at the reviews it is hard to miss that the the iMac always comes out top and the display quality appeals.
    I realise that it may take some adjustment to work with the Mac, has anyone else done this after years of Windows and what problems am I likely to encounter with existing MS Office files? Thanks

GrahamA
    Free Member

If you are thinking of moving over to a mac then you need to mack sure that there is a mac version of any pc software you are using. This will not be a problem for most mainstream applications.

If you do want to stay with windows then take a look at the Lenovo A740 its closer in design to the iMacs and has a 4k resolution but not the 5k of the retina iMacs

Mackem

You can put windows on a mac, so dont worry about the software too much.

mboy
    Free Member

A few subtle differences between the two that will cause issues for all of about 2 days, then you’ll start revelling in more intuitive computing and a much nicer user experience. It’s like being given a much nicer car but in LHD, for the first 2 days it takes all your effort to adjust to the LHD bit, but from then on in, you’ve got a big smile on your face!

There’s very little software these days that you can get for Windows, but not Mac, but it is still worth checking if it would be a problem. Whilst you can install Windows on a Mac should you need to, the whole point of a Mac isn’t that it’s a Shiny Silver slab of metal and glass, but it’s all about the UNIX based operating system which just works so much better than Windows does!

Mackem

Just for balance, I disagree with mboy totally, I much prefer windows for day to day computing.

Posting this on a Macbook pro BTW.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just for balance, I disagree with mboy totally

Was just thinking the same thing as I read it. It’s not more intuitive to me. There is also a whole load of software not available. I suppose it depends on how your brain works and what field you work in. For light home use and web browsing there is little difference, although that does beg the question why spend so much.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been forwards and backwards between Windows and Mac for some time now and I’m just posting this from a shiny new 5k iMac.

No issues doing most day to day tasks. Office 2016 for Mac is also a huge improvement over 2011 so things like outlook work properly now which is a big plus for me as a business user.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thanks, helpful. I also have to consider other, less Techy, members of the family I guess who have always used Windows. Also whatever I buy will be a big jump in Technology. 4K display would be good enough, though like what I read about the Retina display.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ditched Windows in 2010 and wouldn’t look back. Had 0 problems with the MBP, was running fine until it had a quick trip off the table…. lucky insurance paid for a nice new version upgraded with 16gb of RAM, works great for my photography.

The only reason I wouldn’t recommend a MAC to someone is if they are a PC gamer, they are not great on that front.

Cheers, Steve

mogrim

Thanks, helpful. I also have to consider other, less Techy, members of the family I guess who have always used Windows

Although I personally don’t like Macs, I wouldn’t worry too much about this point – my wife is about as non-techy as you can get, but can still manage switching from Windows XP at work, 8.1 on my laptop and Ubuntu on the PC. As long as the icons for Firefox/Chrome/Word/Libre Office as all clearly available it’s shouldn’t be a problem. Just don’t ask her to fix anything 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Thanks, helpful. I also have to consider other, less Techy, members of the family I guess who have always used Windows.

I found OS X to be simpler than Windows. It feels very uncomputery* compared to the Windows experience. Being free from seemingly constant, bloating updates is also rather nice. The Mac’s multi-gesture trackpad, and its integration with OS X, is just brilliant and can make OS and web navigation very fast and intuitive once you tune into it.

*might not be a word

But, it doesn’t really matter what anyone thinks, you’re the one who’ll use it with whatever likes/dislikes you yourself have. I’d suggest going to the Apple store and rummaging around in OS X, maybe ask a member of staff to assist. They’re trained to some extent in showing Windows-accustomed folk into OS X. There are also loads of online resources, even just on YouTube, with pointers and tips for making the transition. Most of them will be done without the white noise of subjective judgements.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that in 4-5 years time when you might want to upgrade again, you can figure on getting up to around half of your money back with an Apple (keep the box/packing!).

mogrim

Being free from seemingly constant, bloating updates is also rather nice.

That’s not necessarily an advantage: Apple has been accused of being very lax with security, by not pushing updates that fix holes but leaving them for future releases.

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/yosemite-zero-day/

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Not to detract from its seriousness, but that’s a single instance/fix. A rather imprecise, somewhat binary comparison.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you do want to stay with windows then take a look at the Lenovo A740 its closer in design to the iMacs and has a 4k resolution but not the 5k of the retina iMacs

It’s 2560 x 1440, not 4K (4096 x 2160). That’s half the resolution of the Retina iMac (5120 x 2880).

mogrim

Not to detract from its seriousness, but that’s a single instance/fix. A rather imprecise, somewhat binary comparison.

That was an example, if you look at the full list of security updates included in Yosemite v10.10.4 you have to wonder whether a more frequent update procedure wouldn’t be more secure – there are over 40 flaws included.

pilgrimbob
    Free Member

You should be aware that other than the recent 27″ model, the current iMacs have been around a while and are due an upgrade soon.

Have a look here

I’ve been holding out replacing our 2008 iMac for a while now.

allfankledup

My preference is to get a mac mini and a decent monitor – then upgrade the mini in a few years time.

I don’t like the integration of Computer and Screen – when one goes wrong they are both knackered and likely to be more expensive to fix/repair – but each to their own.

uphilla
    Free Member

Lots to think about – but a trip to Apple Shop and maybe John Lewis seems sensible before parting with cash.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I don’t like the integration of Computer and Screen – when one goes wrong they are both knackered and likely to be more expensive to fix/repair – but each to their own.

If either/any part breaks within 5 years of purchase, it will be repaired under warranty. Really, it’s a non-consideration.

bonchance
    Free Member

any part breaks within 5 years of purchase, it will be repaired under warranty

5yr wrnty- can I quote you?

cbike
    Free Member

John Lewis advice on 5 year warranties is now out of date. looks more like 2 years these days.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

5yr wrnty- can I quote you?

No, I was incorrect, it’s six years. Five in Scotland.

https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

bonchance
    Free Member

good luck with that.

Link expressly acknowledges your right to raise an issue of non-conformity. At no point do they confirm they will repair it.

In fact the small print even explains; after initial 6 months onus falls to the buyer to prove the fault is inherent.

e.g. My 4 yr old iPhone won’t hold a charge – SOGA ‘warranty’ – is the charge cycle limit of a battery an inherent fault?

The web is littered with reports of large firms (with generally good policies) legitimately rejecting such SOGA claims. Try Amazon or Apple for starters.

Any personal experience of such claims to share (anyone)?

edit ps I do agree that shouldn’t be a strong reason against buying an iMac AIO etc. The really determined can open them any way 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The missus has a mac, pisses me off no end. Even 8.1 is more intuitive. Crashes more as well.

xiphon
    Free Member

Mac convert over here – but then again, I’m a tech person and find I use the Terminal for 95% of my work.

To me, Mac is Linux with a pretty face.

On the topic of SOGA, PC World are repairing my wifes MBa (late 2013) under warranty, as the logic board has been faulty since the day we got it. Apple did a free checkover (via Genius Bar), and the report they provided didn’t give PC World a leg to stand on.

bonchance
    Free Member

good to hear – I guess this is precisely the ‘required proof’ from the buyer – of an inherent fault.

A less clear case like; mechanical HDD failing after 3 yrs, psu failing, stuck pixels

– seem less likely and well documented as being rejected. At least I wouldn’t fancy my chances with PCWorld 🙂

uphilla
    Free Member

As a follow up I went for the iMac and so far it has all been very easy. Gmail integrated nicely, it all seems intuitive and much easier than Windows 8.1 I have been using. Only hitch is Android phone is not recognised, not a big surprise, but think there is a work around.
    My old laptop has since had a Windows 10 update, which is an improvement and instantly likeable from my point of view, but still think the Mac was good choice.
    Thanks for the help on both sides.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Mac from Windows, will I cope? iMac or All-in-one PC?’ is closed to new replies.