Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Moving to France in Jan 2019 with little planning!
  • fakiee
    Free Member

Hi,

So I’ve decided to move to France with my French missus, shes can find work in Annecy or Geneva, I’ve also had enough of London (and not being able to buy a shed for less than 400k) and have decided to follow her.

I cant speak french, but my aim is to try and find IT work in Geneva which I’ve been told is mainly English speaking for business.

Literally looking for any advice when it comes to a big move like this, and especially going to a country where I don’t speak the language!

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s a forumite just planing a move back from Geneva way, “onandon” or somesuch, will see if I can find his handle.

PS Geneva is not a particular;y nice place to live, and the traffic is appalling even by London standards, but there are some decent cycle routes in so tray and pick a nice spot for a cycle commute.

Here we go

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/upping-sticks-and-relocating-en-france-wwstwd

PM on and on for up to date real life info if I were you

IHN

*watches with idle/envious interest*

NewRetroTom

What kind of IT work do you do? Can it be done remotely?

There are lots of people working in this part of France who go to London for the occasional meeting but work from home the rest of the time.

If you can find a few contracts to do then get your wife to help you set up as an autoentrepreneur so you’re in the French system.

Then enjoy the lifestyle!

orangespyderman

PS Geneva is not a particular;y nice place to live, and the traffic is appalling even by London standards,

This.  I don’t particularly like Geneva and nice property within commuting distance on the France side is quite expensive too.  You’ll need a Swiss work permit too, which may be complex if you were thinking of contracting / freelancing.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

do it!

good luck

cchris2lou

I am french and moved with my english wife to France 18 months ago . I lived 20 years in the Uk , moved straight after uni .

You will have to register to local sécurité sociale ; you wont be able to get your own carte vitale straight away but you should be able to go on your wife card . Need it for doctor , work if working in france .

Register with pole emploi , you wont be entitled to benefits but you will have access to free french lessons and other training if you wish .

Go to your local tax office as tax system is changing in january .

And that is about it , till march at least , after that all bets are off !

and enjoy the skiing , biking, wine , food etc….

fakiee
    Free Member

@Stoner – Appreciate the info and I’ll be checking through @singletrackminds post. Interesting to hear about Geneva and to know people’s experiences, we have heard mixed opinions.

@NewRetroTom
    unfortunately I’m hands on IT, so would most likely need to be onsite, unless i work in an IT call centre but i think most of those are in India!

@ orangespyderman You’ll need a Swiss work permit too, which may be complex if you were thinking of contracting / freelancing.

Good to know, thanks!

@howsyourdad1 do it!

good luck

Thanks Dude!

@cchris2lou You will have to register to local sécurité sociale ; you wont be able to get your own carte vitale straight away but you should be able to go on your wife card . Need it for doctor , work if working in france .

Register with pole emploi , you wont be entitled to benefits but you will have access to free french lessons and other training if you wish .

Go to your local tax office as tax system is changing in january .

This is absolute GOLD thanks @cchris2lou

I have one thing going for me at least, my surname is “French”, literally!!

IHN

I have one thing going for me at least, my surname is “French”, literally!!

fakiee, earlier

fakiee
    Free Member

@IHN hahaha wrong French, I’m the older fatter version!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Moving to France in Jan 2019 with little planning!’ is closed to new replies.