Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Moving on a spares or repairs vehicle
  • BillMC

We need to move on a vehicle, still under MOT, but needs work. What’s the site with the least hassles? Ebay? Autotrader? Craigslist?

phil5556

I advertised an MOT failure on Gumtree for £450. By the time I’d got home from work 2 hours later there was already someone standing on the drive looking around it (he recognised the house in the photos!) £400 handed over and taken away, all within 5 minutes of me getting there.

I’d say that was pretty hassle free 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

Depends. If you just want rid then Ebay is the biggest in terms of traffic and offers least hassle as long as you describe it correctly and don’t entertain any chancers. Especially if it cant be driven away.

Is it some niche classic or a POS? If the latter then a scrapyard may be the answer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Gumtree and facebook classifieds are incredibly full of time wasting arseholes, and functionally illiterate people. But they’re also the home of genuine buyers who’ll pay what it’s worth. Basically if you can deal with all the arseholes it’s still worth it.

Ebay cuts the timewasters but you’re in a big market so getting the best price is harder.

IMO it’s really important to have a good description, especially with spares/repairs- people need to know what they’re getting, if you leave them guessing then you’ll get a guessing price. Bizarrely my old Focus got more attention as spares/repairs once the clutch went, than it did when it was a fully MOT’d driver- because people were searching for spares/repairs I guess.

As uew-r says it also depends a lot on the actual car- some have specific value.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gave my old banger, but still under MOT to everyone’s a winner

Just a thought, maybe not for you but others that view the thread

Good luck

BillMC

Cheers for the responses. Most grateful.
    Oh and it’s a 320D

rob1984p
    Free Member

I am led to believe that ebay is a pain in the arse for selling cars as there are no consequences for people that bid and then just don’t reply or carry through…depending on how many times it happens you could be weeks down the road before it goes and out of pocket quite a bit too I think as I have a feeling they don’t refund fees on vehicles or something like that!?

It is a long time since I have bought or sold a car but I have watched lots of car throttle videos over the last few months and they seem keen on Facebook marketplace and gumtree for bargains.

What 320D and what’s wrong with it?

BillMC

2005 200k makes a noise in reverse, forward motion no problem.

mashr

Makes a noise in reverse = spares and repairs? That just sounds like selling any normal car. Declare the faults, price appropriately and crack on (dealing with the arseholes)

rob1984p
    Free Member

If it’s an e46 I’d keep it and put up with the whine…it won’t fail an mot for that!

I have been running my 185k 330i for the last 5.5 years with minimal issues…love it.

What body is it? If an estate I’d put it on the classifieds on here, loads of cheap cars have sold to like minded folk over the years for no cost.

fooman

Had a gearbox fail on a Granada, put it 99p auction on eBay went for 300 odd. Bloke with low loader came took it away, less hassle and more profitable than towing it to a scrapyard.

Another time I bought a non runner unseen on eBay. Found a low loader service on eBay again, they picked it up (I didn’t even go round) and dropped it off at mine.

BillMC

E46 estate.

rsl1
    Free Member

If you go the Facebook route, find the appropriate owners group and share it in there, then you’ve got exactly your target audience and far fewer chancers. I’ve bought/sold 4 out of 5 last few cars (not all my own) that way

robbie
    Free Member

Where are you located? I know a guy that deals in BMWs for spares.

BillMC

E Midlands

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Moving on a spares or repairs vehicle’ is closed to new replies.