Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Moving heavy appliances on new kitchen flooring
  • Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

New kitchen floor going down tomorrow, at which point I need to get the washing machine back into it’s slot.

Without wrecking the new amtico flooring. Wasn’t a problem with the old tired floor.

Anyone got any tips on how to do this without making an expensive mistake? Manpower available is me with my dodgy back, disabled wife and teenage daughter.

Any ideas?

Premier Icon b230ftw
    Free Member

Have you got any of the old floor you can put down on top of the new to help slide it across?
    I’ve always found laminate flooring is awesome for sliding stuff on.
    If you need to move it some distance you can get dollies from Aldi or Toolstation for £10 – I got one for moving a 250kg cast iron fireplace across a brand new carpet and it worked a treat – used it for all sorts since.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

carpet runners or offcuts under the feet let it slide.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Since moving appliances in and out of kitchen spaces is what is generally expected they should have feet which are designed not damage flooring.

If it is however a problem just use anything to protect it. Maybe cardboard which is perhaps held down with duct tape to stop it sliding. Or slide the appliances on old towels and when you reach the destination tip it back to pull the towel out.

Premier Icon argee

I put a little of the silocone spray on the feet to make them move easier once it was right at the gap, just check everything first, make sure the heights are set right, drainage pipe is in and working, etc, etc.

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

Something slidy underneath, I’ve been pushing my washing machine around my tiled porch on a doormat with no issues.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Will dig out an old towel and slide it around.

Thanks all

Premier Icon cakefacesmallblock

On ‘laminate’ or vinyl type flooring a few drops of washing up liquid under the feet is great. Carpet offcuts, pile side down, are good too.

Premier Icon mick_r

Hardboard sheets. We use a few pieces about 1ft wide and 3-4ft long. Either slide the machine on the board or the board on the floor, whichever suits.

Once in place you can tip the machine slightly sideways to pull out each board one at a time.

Premier Icon meeeee
    Free Member

Check the feet make sure there’s no bits of grit stuck in the plastic / rubber and give them a wipe before you do any sliding on the new floor. I know from experience this is a very successful way to scratch your floor

Premier Icon alanl
    Free Member

Cleaning spray, or, really soapy washing up liquid/solution.
    Works every time.
    Just spray it where the feet are going, and you will see how easy it is to move the appliance.

Premier Icon stormtrooper
    Free Member

I have a set of Sliderz which makes moving furniture around the house a doddle

http://sliderz.co.uk/ProductDetail/Short-Sliderz-Pack/8/

Premier Icon chrisyork

Wood sheets is what we used too, well it was a piece of wood that the joiner shaved one end off on an angle, as an off it but was handy as the washer only had a thin lip to get on, then was able to slide the washer onto the wood that way, make sure there’s nothing that’ll scratch underneath 😬👍

Premier Icon rossburton

We’ve something similar to those Sliderz which worked surprisingly well for moving a chest of drawers across a house. The kids were pushing it around like it was nothing.

For a large solid wood sideboard we had the genius idea of an upside down soft door mat, fabric side down so it slides, rubber side up so it grips. Worked a treat.

If you have neither of those a thick sheet of cardboard sounds like a good idea to reduce the friction until you get it mostly into place.

Premier Icon kayak23

Works every time.

The appliance, of science.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

Amtico samples / off cuts turned upside down so the wear layers are together.

Premier Icon jolmes
    Free Member

FIL moved all his appliances into place on jam jar lids sprayed with silicone. no scratches at all and super easy to move.

Premier Icon involver
    Free Member

Works every time.
    Just spray it where the feet are going, and you will see how easy it is to move the appliance.

Our delivery drivers used this method to slide our new washer into place. Seemed pretty effective.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Turns out amtico is toughr than it looks.

Don’t tell the flooring guy 🤫

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

Turns out amtico is toughr than it looks.

I think that’s one of the things you’ve paid for!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.