Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Moving from Sky to BT TV – anyone done it, is it any good?
  • sturdylad
    Free Member

As above really…
    We’ve been looking at the amount of money we are throwing around lately and by switching to BT TV on a package that includes infinity broadband we can save around £40 a month.
    Seems like a no brainer but of the few things we watch regularly a couple are on SKY1.
    I’m sure they come to terrestrial TV a bit later on so I guess we will cope

Anyone experienced the move and lived to tell the tale?

Cheers

Harry_the_Spider

It has been a while since I last had to deal with them but BT customer service are a set of five star fur lined ocean going multi storey gold plated hyper sonic pink spotted glow in the dark arseholes.

sturdylad
    Free Member

That hasn’t been my experience of them so far.
    I think like most of these businesses now, it all depends on the person you speak to on the day.

Harry_the_Spider

This was over a 3 month period. Things may have changed now though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

We moved from Sky to BT when we moved house, BT customer service has been exemplary and the fibre is so fast. My Mrs couldn’t cope without Sky1 and others so we now have BT and Sky 🙄

TheDTs
    Free Member

We’re with virgin, apparently the band width in our area is low so the TV on demand is useless and unwatchable. So were considering our options. Problem is the internet speed is pretty good and I don’t think any of the other providers will be able to match it.

Mugboo

I’ve just moved from BT infinity with Vision TV & their Youview box to Talktalk. Saving a lot of money each month.

Nowt wrong with BT by the way and although their call centre staff are clearly right here in Bradford, they are very good at problem solving.

jfletch
    Free Member

For the TV only BT is a bit shit compared to Sky. Less channels, box is slow and frustrating. But it is cheap.

iamtheresurrection

Just finished 12 months with BT and now back on Sky (for the TV). The Youview box would have been impressive 10 years ago, but compared to the Sky OS is slow, laggy, unstable and frankly not anywhere near as nice to use.

Cougar

The Sky TV ‘experience’ is the best of a bad bunch, IME. Their support is shocking, but so long as it works it’s good.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Not exactly stunning reviews…
    Think we’ll stick with what we’ve got for another month or so then!

Thanks

tinribz
    Free Member

Dumped Sky for Freesat recently. Their players are on a par with Sky ones now. No Sky1 or Atlantic but just spend the time on iPlayer and Netflix instead.

Alphabet

We did the same as tinribz and I can’t say I’ve missed any of the Sky offerings. We also have Netflix and a good broadband connection so no problems with the free catch up services. Not sure what BT TV could offer that would make it worth while paying for over Freesat. However we don’t watch any sport but I can see that keen followers would want some premium sports channels.

simon_g

I have one of the smaller latest gen BT youview boxes which is doing fine for what I wanted – I’m not a BT customer, just wanted a snappy freeview PVR and streaming (TV catchup, Netflix) box. I really like the way the guide lets you go into the past and watch a program directly from a catchup service if available and you didn’t record it. Forgot about The Sky at Night and it’s playing now from iplayer, no separate loading/searching/playing needed.

I’ve never felt the need for more channels than freeview but the box does NowTV so you can use that to get Sky channels you want, eg. sky1, Atlantic, living for £6.99/month.

bonchance
    Free Member

think the service with the recent youview boxes solve many of the issues. That one seems fine for me and as mentioned above has the catchup, ondemand and BT extras nicely integrated with the infinity service.

Old box/service less good..

I guess if you want Sky exclusive content there is no alternative to Sky- I found there was 1 show I missed – maybe.. Don’t miss paying that standing fee for telly though, seems kind of quaint now!

Just find and pay something if I want to now via Netflix, Amazon, BT, Now (this one covers some Sky stuff even!) etc.

ski
    Free Member

I have just inquired about swapping from Sky to BT and have been told their infinity broadband service is not available, even though I have it at the moment with Sky?

Apparently there are no connections left?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

If you want to stay with sky and lower your bills try calling their bluff and tell them you’re leaving / want to reduce your package?

They can usually reduce your bill to keep you

jp-t853

BT are often the best for broadband so maybe as someone said if you need Sky 1 get Sky Now and pay £6.99 per month.

If you get a Chromecast you might find everything you need on movhunter.net which casts perfectly from a chrome browser on tablets. Freview plus this may mean you don’t need BT tv saving more.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from Talktalk for broadband & Sky for TV to BT for both.
    Lost a few channels but nothing I can’t live without but £23 a month cheaper, faster internet & £150 Sainsbury voucher – the new BT Vision box is a bit slow changing channels sometimes but I’m still getting used to the new layout.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Moving from Sky to BT TV – anyone done it, is it any good?’ is closed to new replies.