• This topic has 89 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Moving back to the Motherland – t'up North. But Yorkshire?
  • IHN

you’ve basically listed areas in and around Huddersfield. IHN has already declared this area as well grim. Leave him to his ill-informed opinion, the boy can’t be helped.

In my defence, I said that my experience of Huddersfield itself, i.e. the town centre and surrounds, was well grim. I’m sure there are nice parts around it.

ton

headfirst………i just listed the area’s i want to move to. 😆

binners

I used to shoot up there.

Another cottaging hotspot?

spawnofyorkshire

Can i just correct IHN that a lot of Huddersfield is actually very nice, but as with most northern towns/cities the grim bits are properly grim.

Rishworth is worth a look, 5 mins from the motorway and striking distance from Manchester, Leeds, Bradford and Sheffield at a push.

Edit: I was writing my response to IHN when he corrected himself. You’re right that the town centre can be a bit grim. Look past the grottiness and there’s some brilliant little shops and bars, you just need to find them

edlong
    Free Member

Morley

Next to the great motorway interchange of doom, so M62 for easty-westy travel (e.g. Manchester); M1 for southy (e.g. Peaks), and linking to northy (M1-A1, for north yorks and beyond).

Some little bits of good riding around – Cockersdale, Fulneck etc.

Great LBS (Garage Bikes)

IHN

I’m afraid that Morley is FAR to near the in-laws 😯

hora
    Free Member

LOl 9mm, 303 and shotguns.. although if you need anything terminating I’m not a bad shot 😉

dabble
    Free Member

mirfields nice, or maybe hopton if you’ve a bit of brass. 10 mins to j25 m62, top riding straight out your door as well, hopton woods and the surrounding areas are ace.

larrystumbles
    Free Member

As someone who grew up in Elland i feel well placed to comment. Top end of Victoria road near the secondary school is very nice, but the rest of it is a proper craphole and should be avoided at all costs.. id look at places down the Shibden Valley, Hipperholme & Lightcliffe or like spawnofyorkshire says down the Ripponden Valley.. especially Rishworth

TPTcruiser

Hora has the best point. Listen to Radio Five in the morning, there is always a traffic report concerning the stretch of M62 between Brighouse and Leeds. I’d keep west of there if work in Manchester was a regular place to be on time.
    Marsden has A62. Honley/Holmfirth has Greenfield Road, Holme Moss and Woodhead for driving. Train when it snows.

marcus
    Free Member

Hathersage – and just lie to her – Its got to be pretty close to the boundary with Yorkshire so it would only be a small lie

kcal

hm, only passed through various locations mentioned; but as said parts of Huddersfield are actually quite nice (to me) – faded grandeur maybe! my cousin and her family stay a wee bit south of Holmfirth, actually a bit out of New Mill it looks like – couldn’t get more rural, way above the valley floor, middle of nowhere! but husband’s a park ranger and I guess they like it bleak 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Hmm, Sheffield…. I went uni there, loved it. Lenses may be a little rose-tinted though.

I think she’d be wanting somewhere vaguely rural.

There’s quite a lot of more-than-vaguely rural really quite close by…

marsdenman
    Free Member

MrsMm commutes over th’ill to Bolton. Mostly by car these days.
    Only ‘snowed in’ twice this last 2 years. Before now she has actually made it the 30 miles to work, only to find colleagues 2-4 miles away, on arterial routes MRsMM just used, could not get in ‘due to the snow…’
    Other times she uses the train. Marsden to M’cr is straight through. Marsden to Leeds = change at Hudds.

Much as I hate to agree, Hora, is ‘almost’ right about the Leeds bound M62. It does not help that Brighouse to Leeds is all currently 50mph whilst (i think) they widen it all…

Shamelss Plug Link

jet26
    Free Member

Penistone/Cawthorne/ingbirchworth/upper denby.

Easy access to Sheffield via wharncliffe woods (in rush hour), wood head to manc, M1 not far and trains from Wakefield for easy London access if that matters.

And it’s a bloody nice place to live too, rural but not that rural. Good pubs too.

jet26
    Free Member

Oh emley too…

IHN

Hathersage – and just lie to her – Its got to be pretty close to the boundary with Yorkshire so it would only be a small lie

The border’s on the hill up to Millstone edge, so if she goes for a run she can run to Yorkshire and back 🙂

IHN

marsdenman – Nice. I’d seriously be looking at that if I was in position to move now. But you’d have to throw in the bottle of wine in the bathroom 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

Skipton. There’s a good pie shop there.

martinhutch

I’ve lived here for five years and never gone in the pie shop. Perhaps that’s where I’m going wrong.

Good schools, shopping, riding too. 1hr 20mins to Manc though by car, not easy by train.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Why, thank you for the comments. Be a shame to leave but lower / shorter mortgage beckons 🙂

But you’d have to throw in the bottle of wine in the bathroom

For you. we’d leave 2…..
    Bath is Her Ladyship’s pleasure. Plant stand was purchased specifically as a wine table 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

If I had to live in Yorkshire, within striking distance of Manchester, I’d look at Whirlow/Dore area of Sheffield. I’d personally give West Yorkshire a miss.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Actually, just a thought…
    It not been on that long and the last couple to view have said to expect an offer this week. If it’s a good one, and all goes without a hitch then WAHEY, if not we plan on talking it off the market until early next year…..

davetrave
    Free Member

How about one of the Saddleworth villages – right side of the Pennines for you, i.e Lancashire, very similar to Marsden for riding in the Pennines from the door (and right on the Pennine BW), not too far back over the hill to Huddersfield and real Yorkshire but a lot of the locals still believe the area is White Rose, despite the 1974 boundary changes, so your missus will still have that Ya’arkshire vibe…

Pick Greenfield and you’ve got a station on the line to Piccadilly to hand, go for Diggle or Uppermill and it’s a quick blast along the canal to Greenfield Station…

davetrave
    Free Member

MM – good road testing the legs on the road bike at the end of a long ride, on the way back to the right side of the hill, is that. My mate in Marsden (owner of Mountainfeet… (another shameless plug…)) usually drops out before we start up there, excusing himself by saying he’s already done it once, coming over to meet us…

Bunnyhop

marsdenman I shall miss your soup kitchen.
    Throne room, looks lovely.

zanelowe
    Free Member

Wetherby
    Otley
    Ackworth

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Rishworth? RISHWORTH? Theres nothing there! Its just houses alongside the road. Ripponden is the place to be if you want to be in the Ryeburn Valley. Shops, really top notch eateries etc.

hora
    Free Member

Give W.Yorkshire a miss? Never, sorry.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Saddleworth !

grittyshaker
    Free Member

Around Leeds/Bradford? Shipley, Baildon, Saltaire, Bingley area?
    Rawdon, Guiseley, Yeadon area?

headfirst
    Free Member

Ripponden is a good shout, good biking territory both on and off road. Nice places to eat too

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Baildon/Saltaire/Bingley, great areas to live and superb riding on your doorstep.

However commuting via the M62 is truly dreadful. Realistic commute times are (based on when I commuted from Baildon to Sheffield), and a mate who commutes to an office near Manchester Airport.

At best
    Baildon to Sheffield 6:30am – 1hr 20
    Baildon to Manchester Airport 6:30am – 1hr 20

Baildon to Sheffield 7:30am – 2hrs
    Baildon to Manchester Airport 7:30am – 2hrs

return journeys can be even more random but expect at least 45 minutes to get through Bradford from the M62, oh and if you decide on Bingley add another 10-15mins…

That said I wouldnt live any where else, but then I now have a nice traffic free commute through country side 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Birkenshaw is Bradford. Don’t ever move to Bradford

well technically some of it is in Kirklees. but it may as well be Bradford, that’s the nearest big town.
    as parts of Bradford go, it’s one of the better ones, and also being south of the city, isn’t as bad a pain if you want to get to Manchester.
    Ilkley, while 12? miles away, is indeed lovely, but still pays council tax to Bradford and, for getting to Manchester, may as well be in Scotland.
    I live in Baildon, between Bradford & Ilkley. I wouldn’t live anywhere else in the district. But getting to the M62 to travel either east OR west is a PITA. And the M62 is roadworks city for at least the next 12 months from Huddersfield (J24) to Rothwell (J30) in both directions

Having said that, if you’re looking to get to North Manchester, you could go cross country to Colne, pick up the M65 westbound as far as Great Harwood, then cut down the motorway past Accrington towards Manchester through the Rossendale valley

to add to what FunkyDunc says:

Baildon to north Barnsley – early AM or late evening, or when the schools are out: 50 mins
    Baildon to north Barnsley any other time: anything up to 1hr 50. more if it’s raining. M62 drivers don’t know how to drive in the wet. slow fat git on a bike, 2 hrs

djglover
    Free Member

West yorks road commuting is just a non starter, if you are going to or through the big towns, I have discovered.

People who say London / SE traffic is bad, they haven’t spent time driving in rush hour in W Yorks

took me 1:20 to drive Ilkley to Leeds last week. 26 mins on the train.

john_drummer
    Free Member

indeed. you need to know the backroads. but rush hour Ilkley to Leeds should only ever be done by train, there are no good backroad options on that commute.

the problem with west yorks, is ALL the towns merge into one. 2 million people crammed into about 20miles x 20 miles

I’m in Ireland right now, population of the whole island is about 8 million. Population of W Yorks is about 1/4 of that, crammed into an area not much bigger than the whole of greater Dublin

IHN

Okay, thread revival.

Would anyone care to eleborate on the relative merits of:

– Marsden
    – Hebden Bridge
    – Ripponden

??

sparkyrhino

Marsden railway/canal tunnel,probally the most spooky place on earth,approx 1.5 miles under the moor there is a cathedral to satan , I AM NOT JOKING. .On a seperate note used to be a little shop that did an awsome Sop sarnie. Nearly bought a house in marsden 20 years ago,Wish i had now great little place.

headfirst
    Free Member

I had a great Friday night in Marsden this weekend as the Marsden jazz* festival was on! Nice!

*it’s not all jazz thankfully

ourmaninthenorth

– Hebden Bridge

Only one I’ve spent any time in (and then not much). My impression is: Initial impression is friendly, and some interesting shops (and no doubt related community). But Steep sided valley means half of it’s in near permanent shadow*, and the recent floods have affected the wider area quite badly.

*I live in west lancs, which is flatter than a witch’s t-t so small valleys aren’t my thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Moving back to the Motherland – t'up North. But Yorkshire?’ is closed to new replies.