• This topic has 89 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Moving back to the Motherland – t'up North. But Yorkshire?
  • IHN

So, we’re in the veeeeery early stages of thinking about a move from the land of spinach and ricotta tartlets, flat beer and surly shopstaff back up to the land of steak puddings, beer with a head on and friendly ladies in Greggs.

However, the little lady’s a Huddersfield lass (well, nearly, Birkenshaw) and she refuses to go anywhere other then Yorkshire. I’m trying to persuade her that there are other options, especially as I’d like to be closer to the Manchester end of things, but to no avail. It’s like what they say; you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can’t tell ’em much.

Her ‘compromise’ is West Yorkshire. So, where’s nice to live in West Yorkshire that would give easy access to major towns and cities for work (I’m a contractor so need a good spread of potential employers/locations), good riding, attractive locale, nice people, easy to get to Manchester (especially South Mcr) and all that?

Your answers on a postcard please….

nbt

Marsden / Holmfirth, or Hebden Bridge / Halifax

Bunnyhop

Nooo, stay down there, it’s too crowded up here 😉

binners

Just get as close to the Lancs border as possible. Then at least you’ll be close to civilisation. In fact, over it, if possible. If you need to be near Manchester, then East Lancs would make more sense

And would it be premature to say

😀

headfirst
    Free Member

the little lady’s a Huddersfield[/u] lass

The answer’s in the question!

Fast, non-stop train to Manchester Piccadilly takes half an hour.

therealhoops
    Free Member

Anywhere but Stockport is good 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Somewhere near transport links, ideally an airport so you can get far away !

I’d take a look at local economy, try and find somewhere with an active private sector with some potential for economic activity. Communities over reliant on state employment (government, hospitals etc) are going to continue to suffer greatly.

FWIW I’d say Sheffield or Harrogate, the former due to proximity of motorway and riding the latter for a degree of sophistication.

IHN

Anywhere but Stockport is good

For many reasons, not least being that it’s not in Yorkshire. And, of course, it’s a dump.

Bunnyhop, that’s not very nice 🙁

My experience of Huddersfield is that it’s, well, grim. In fact it’s well grim…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not Wakefield would be my advice.

shudder….

IHN

Hmm, Sheffield…. I went uni there, loved it. Lenses may be a little rose-tinted though.

I think she’d be wanting somewhere vaguely rural.

djglover
    Free Member

I moved from London to Ilkley a week and a half ago. Really when I boiled it down the other options were too much of a compromise

Harrogate: too far from the hills
    Leeds: Well, its Leeds so its as rough as a dogs arse
    More remote dales: to far from train / schools

So far so good.

Good points
    25 mins to Leeds on the train (I work there 2 days a week)
    Access to the dales in 15 minutes
    Access to the moor in seconds
    Almost crime free
    Great schools
    Friendly people
    Great indy shops
    Close to the airport

Bad points (nit picking really)
    Provincial service in some bars and restaurants
    Its 4.5 hours to London and I have to work there every week (does not apply to everyone 🙂

on balance the hellish monday / tuesday commute to / from London is worth it for the quality of life the rest of the week.

skiprat
    Free Member

If you head north of Sheffield, you kind of hit the bit between Sheffield, Huddersfield and Barnsley. Easy transport links all over, Woodhead pass to Manc (from Barnsley we hit Manchester Airport in 40mins. And it would be close enough for the mrs to pop to Huddersfield. Try Shelley, Shepley areas. Quite rural too.

johndoh
    Free Member

Why ‘West’ Yorkshire?

But Boston Spa is in West (just), is right on the A1 but has a nice community and feels very small town-ish.

It’s probably where I would live if I didn’t already live in Harrogate and if my bitch sister in law didn’t already live there.

meehaja
    Free Member

Birkenshaw is Bradford. Don’t ever move to Bradford.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t ever move to Bradford.

^^^This is the best advice ever served up on here^^^

ton

wooley
    notton
    middlestown
    netherton
    kirkheaton
    shelley
    shepley
    honley
    meltham
    marsden
    lepton
    kirkburton
    thurstonland
    almondbury
    mirfield
    elland
    brighouse

IHN

Access to the moor in seconds

Wearing your hat I hope

Why ‘West’ Yorkshire?

Because I want to be within easy driving distance of Manchester

If you head north of Sheffield, you kind of hit the bit between Sheffield, Huddersfield and Barnsley

Penistone! *giggles*

hora
    Free Member

IHN using your criteria- around the Outlane area. Straight onto the M62 and you miss the accident section of J24-26 😆

From there its 40mins. 32mins from Salendine Nook to Stretford, Manchester when its quiet 8)

Why not the Prestwich/Whitefield etc area? A good compromise and only 25mins the other way to Hudds for visits etc.

Hebden is NOWHERE near a fast link IMO.

johndoh
    Free Member

Because I want to be within easy driving distance of Manchester

So really you want to be in the CleckHuddersFax part of West Yorkshire then?

I would stay wherever you are*

*Anywhere is nicer than CleckHuddersFax.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

North Leeds
    Bramhope
    Wetherby
    Otley

marsdenman
    Free Member

Marsden.
    Simples.
    Every time this q. comes up I wax lyrical about my home village 😳
    But, it is brilliant
    A62 road link. Rail station for Leeds / Manchester. Riding from the door. Great pubs, Great vibe, etc… etc

I could be beyond cheeky and link you to very a very nice 3 bed Victorian semi that’s currently up for sale in said village but, i’m not that cheeky.
    We’re not leaving the village, love it too much, just resizing 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

3 bedroom house for sale in Greetland

Sancho
    Free Member

Toxic socks has it spot on, also if you are North Leeds you can hit the A1 then M62 quickly and still have access to Leeds/Harrogate, and the Airport.
    Awesome riding in Leeds too, check out the vid on roots riding.
    http://www.rootsriding.co.uk/ROOTS_RIDING/VIDEOS.html

hora
    Free Member

North Leeds to Manchester? Every other day I’m on the M62 at rush hour I see ‘big accident etc etc past Hudds/Brighouse etc towards Leeds’.

Wild horses wouldn’t push me into doing that commute in winter every day. Bad enough with Saddleworth in the mix.

IHN

could be beyond cheeky and link you to very a very nice 3 bed Victorian semi that’s currently up for sale in said village but, i’m not that cheeky.

Go on, go for it. I won’t be buying it, but it’ll give me an idea of what’s available.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

South Halifax. I’m biased but moved from York here 10ish years ago with the view to staying here a bit and then moving back. No chance would I move back to York now…

ton – Elland? Really? We lived there for 2 years and its quite frankly a horrid little sh*thole of a place.

hora
    Free Member

People live in Elland? I thought it was somewhere you drove past and looked down on.

theteaboy
    Free Member

I’ve lived in the Peak District, Sheffield, Meltham/ Holmfirth and Keighley/ Skipton. Work in Leeds, wife worked in Manc, family in Sheff.

I’d recommend Marsden. It’s beautiful, friendly, has easy access to Leeds/ Manc/ Bradford, is ok to Sheffield, has good pubs/ food and ace riding. The only downside is that the secondary schools aren’t great.

Airedale/ Wharfedale are great places to live but limit a sensible commute to Leeds or Bradford as it takes 30mins just to get to the M62.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Saltaire – Great place!
    Good local riding, easy access to the Dales and the Lakes.
    Close enough to Leeds/Bradford (unfortunately too close to Bradford, but hey good curry)
    Just over an hour to Manchester.
    Good rail links.
    Pubs/Bars/Restaurants are ok.

ton

ton – Elland? Really? We lived there for 2 years and its quite frankly a horrid little sh*thole of a place.

DBW…..that is cos you are a posh boy from York. if you came from a large council housing estate then Elland is quite posh 😉

naffrider
    Free Member

Haha, I love Bradford, totally in the minority I know, I like it grim I guess 🙂

So many good places around W. Yorkshire, quite I predicament I guess. Funnily enough I’ve heard good things about Marsden too outside this forum, must be ace, Brighouse supposedly pretty good too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Actually, there are some reasonably nice parts of Elland. Where we used to live opposite what was the Bupa hospital was quite nice (only 5 mins ride over the river to Headless Chicken too!) and the top end near Brooksbank School is pretty good. Its just the bit in the middle that lets it down!

Suppose in the grand scheme of things, its not too bad. Dirt cheap and great access to the M62 and they might even get around to re-building the station there (something they’ve been going on about for decades apparently).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sorry Ton, what was that? Whatwhatwhat. Were you addressing myself? I expect to be referred to as sir if you please… 😉

Bunnyhop

Bunnyhop, that’s not very nice

There was a little wink IHN 😳
    However it would be great to have you back up near us. Tell the missus to come up and meet the gang and we’ll take you out riding 🙂

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Ripponden and surrounding areas would be perfect as would Denby Dale and surrounding areas.

mos

We were looking around the golden triangle of cleckhuddersfax & ended up in scapegoat hill. My parents live near hebden, in laws are in holmfirth & I work in cleck. We did look at marsden but for me it would have pushed my commute over 30 mins & I hate commuting as it is.

ton

i was gonna put scapegoat hill and pole moor on my list………or scammonden.

hora
    Free Member

I used to shoot up there. Alittle disconcerting when you have walkers walking over the back of the range..

headfirst
    Free Member

ton, you’ve basically listed areas in and around Huddersfield. IHN has already declared this area as well grim. Leave him to his ill-informed opinion, the boy can’t be helped.

Yorkshire-Pudding
    Free Member

Hora, didn’t realise you were a druggie! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Moving back to the Motherland – t'up North. But Yorkshire?’ is closed to new replies.